What are the benefits of a 30-day challenge

What are the benefits of a 30-day challenge2008-03-17T03:08:49+00:00
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please make that antimicrobial flooring. 🙂

jtcb
    Participant

Yes, it closed a year ago this week, October 30th! They have two others studios, one in Kits and one in the West End, and I have no idea when or if they will re-open a third.

I have switched to the Richmond studio and love it (different owners than Cambie) – for many reasons – consistent heat, high ceilings, microbiotic flooring, 30-day challenges, pot-luck get-togethers, supplyin of towels and mats, etc.

Good to hear someone from local. Is this a Vancouver/Canadian forum?

I am currently on a two-week trial at Bikram Richmond. I only been to once. I love to go more but just impossible.

Where do you live? What other studio have you tried? What package are you currently in?

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Jeffrey

Welcome to the forum.

Is this a Vancouver/Canadian forum?

Far from it I am very pleased to say, actually last count we have regular visitors from
    122 countries. :cheese: This is the most popular hot yoga forum in the world.

I will leave the local stuff to you and Bonnie to figure out. 😉

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Nynn
    Participant

Day 1 of my first 30-day challenge.

Rules are pretty simple: Set a realistic goal (15 min’s, 2hrs, whatever) and stick with it. No extra hours/days available at the studio, so most of this will be “home practice.”

My major challenges include living in a teeny 1BR apt. with little space/no “heat”, a husband and dog who are likely to interrupt, and a full-time dayjob. Biggest challenge is that I am much less motivated when I don’t have a “place to go” and “group to meet.” Really – guilt from instructors and ribbing from classmates have been my major sources of inspiration throughout my life 😆

Oh yeah, and aforementioned dog has hidden my iPod somewhere.

Anyway, posting my 30-day goal here in the hopes of adding some outside pressure, until I learn how to be Self-Motivated 8-/

Thanks – and good luck to everyone with their challenges!

Commited2Change
    Participant

Good luck to you, Nynn!

I think one of the simplest things that I’ve learned doing hot yoga is that it is better not to have any expectations of myself other than I will practice XX times per week. When I go in with no expectations I’ve never been anything less than pleased with changes, progress or “aha” moments that I’ve had. So, I guess what I’m saying to you is…just do it! Distractions? Bring them on…that’s even more challenging!

Keep us posted…we all will be cheering you on!

Az2Mom
    Participant

I just started a 30-day challenge at the studio I go to. I’m on day 2!! Wish me luck, I’m trying not to think about how many days I have left but only the day I’m on. Will be a challenge (no pun intended) to get the classes in during times offered with work, but I’m trying to be creative.

Here goes….

Az2Mom
    Participant

On day 9 now. I feel really good too! I have to do a double tomorrow to make up for a travel day for work on Tuesday, we’ll see how that goes! :-S

Nynn
    Participant

Still hanging in there with the yoga challenge!!

The studio actually ended up postponing the start date so more people could do it.
    They also turned it into a “40-class” challenge, with doubles on some days that are offset with days off – and you have the option of whether or not to practice at home for some or all of those “days off.” And if you practice at home, you only get “credit” for some of your hours.

It’s complicated 😆 Between the 2 classes I missed and the extra days I have from when I started and my home practice, I actually have no idea what “Day” I’m on :red:

Already, my need to meticulously track and quantify my progress in the projects I undertake has gone completely out the window. Hooray, Yoga Challenge!!! 🙂

Forum Owner

Hi Nynn

I guess it all boils down to your own personal challenge and commitment. What you are prepared to commit to and then action is the ONLY thing that counts.

The more complex the rules the harder the compliance. That’s why simple guidelines work. 6 days per week, one day off (optional). This makes the challenge SUSTAINABLE and allows people to feel comfortable continuing with their own maintenance program after (which may stay at the same frequency or not).

Restricting the number of doubles was something we had to do because there are those who will not carry out their commitment because they have the backstop of the double class option. That ‘backstop’ stopped them coming to class when they should have because it provided them a kind of excuse not to come. It’s 6 daily classes a week, not 3 doubles per week (which seems to defeat the whole purpose).

Does your studio provide in their (complex) guidelines a day off or not? Interested to know.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Nynn
    Participant

Does your studio provide in their (complex) guidelines a day off or not? Interested to know.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Absolutely! I think technically, we might even get two or three days off??
    *From my understanding*, the schedule/rules look something like this:

Monday – double (1 morning/1 eve)
    Tuesday – double (2 eve)
    Wednesday – home practice optional – but this is our main “day off”
    Thurs – double (1 morning/1 eve)
    Fri, Sat, Sun – 1 mandatory home practice, additional practice encouraged
    weekend and/or make-up classes (as needed) TBA

So it comes out to 6 studio classes per week, plus one mandatory home practice to make it 7 — and that is all you get “credit” for. If you miss a class, you can do 2 home practices out of your 7 for the week.

Nynn
    Participant

Update: I have officially dropped out of the challenge… I was on something like Day 17 :long:

During the second week, I started getting headaches, which I assumed were signs of detoxing, dehydration, or both. They soon became migraines which lasted for days at a time. My doc gave me a prescription for migraines which I took twice and I felt better… though I missed a few classes and was struggling to make them up.

… then there were these nosebleeds. Starting last week, I was getting them almost every morning and assumed it was from spending so much time in a hot room, or maybe another sign of detoxing. Thinking I was lacking nutrients or not detoxing quickly enough, I went on a 5-day juice fast (organic fruit/veggie juices including a liquid amino acid supplement). I was feeling absolutely AMAZING – like Superwoman!

Then, this past Monday night after class, I got a major nosebleed while taking a shower – and it really scared me and my husband, because the blood was spurting right through my hands and wouldn’t stop for almost 30min’s. I was wiped out the next day and missed another class.

This morning’s class… I felt about 90 years old. I had horrible body aches all over (not muscle pains – but the body aches you get when you have the flu) and literally could not get into any postures – I ended up lying out for several poses; and at the end of class my instructor was really concerned. I stayed home from work, and asked my husband to bring me lunch this afternoon because I didn’t have enough energy to stand long enough to make something. But no headaches, no fever, no stomach upset – just shakiness/body aches that are subsiding (it is evening now).

Is any of this *normal* to experience during a challenge??? I keep trying to figure out where I went wrong. I have a healthy diet and take supplements, and I drink a ton of water… but maybe I needed to tweak something else? Did the juice fast make the nosebleed thing worse? Why these awful body aches? I am so full of questions, and more than anything, terribly disappointed in myself.

Az2Mom
    Participant

I’m on day 27 of a 30 day challenge and the worst I felt was just tired but felt great always after class. I haven’t had any of the experiences you’ve had. Sounds awful. Curious what Gabrielle would say about that as it seems there’s more going on.

I will say that I’ll be glad to take a day off from hot yoga and not have to do a double to make it up when it’s all over :ahhh:

I hope you are OK and that nothing is seriously wrong. Good luck.

Forum Owner

Hi Nynn

Firstly, I can only guess how disappointed you are feeling that you couldn’t finish your challenge. Please let that go and focus on YOU! Denying your body and your needs is not part of a healthy yoga practice. The challenge is not bigger than you. You have to prevail!

Would you please go and get full blood work up? I think it’s important to investigate what’s going on regarding your essential components.

It’s not normal to have this problem. The only time I have seen severe nose bleeding was at teacher training with someone who was taken to hospital. Whatever she had had been brewing for some time and she came to training with it. It was likely that she was majorly stressed physiologically and mentally. I cannot comment on your current or recent state of being. So go and sort that out before we make suggestions or try to come up with reasons. It is possible that your problem has also been brewing for a while and it has just surfaced now. Until you know what is going on you won’t know if it is because of, or it if has nothing to do with your yoga practice.

My warmest wishes for your speedy recovery

If you’re willing please come back and share what happens

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Az2Mom
    Participant

I finished my challenge – actually did 31 days and I felt great (not that there weren’t some bad days). Now, the hard part is going back to my regular schedule!!

Forum Owner

Hey Kelly

You must be mighty pleased! BTW: What are you planning for your regular schedule?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Az2Mom
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle! My regular schedule is 5 days a week. I take Tuesday and Friday’s off (I run on those days along with one other, if I can). I will tell you, that it’s difficult to not do hot yoga every day! It’s very addicting!

Nynn
    Participant

Would you please go and get full blood work up? I think it’s important to investigate what’s going on regarding your essential components…
    If you’re willing please come back and share what happens

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂
    Hi again,

So I did get a complete blood workup, and overall (thankfully!) I am healthy as a horse.
    Two things did come up, though I’m not sure if they have anything to do with anything:

1) My Vitamin D is low, doc suggested a supplement.

2) 2 viruses: a past infection of HHV-4 (Epstein-Barr/mononucleosis, which I remember getting when I was a teenager); and HHV-6, which my doc says can come and go throughout my lifetime and is associated with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I’m doing home practice every few days for the time being (we’re moving and I need to find a new studio), and the nosebleeds have stopped and overall I’m feeling much better. I’m guessing that either I was just sick, or maybe I was just wearing myself out too much???

kd_evans
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’ve just finished day 10 of my first 30 day challenge. It’s been going well, I generally feel strong while I’m practicing, but am starting to feel really tired during the rest of the day. I’ve started going to bed earlier, but I haven’t really noticed it helping yet.

The main reason I’m reaching out today is because when I got home from the studio this morning I was feeling really sensitive and just started crying for seemingly no reason. I’m a pretty sensitive soul, but I don’t cry for no reason. Has anyone else experienced this ’emotional detox’ during a 30 day challenge? It makes sense to me, but I kind of want to talk about it and hear your experiences too.

:blank:

fraseram
    Participant

yes this is very normal…. for two reasons
    one : you are connecting with yourself in a new and intense way so it will uncover emotions and issues
    two: when your body is under stress your defenses are down so you are more sensitive

kd_evans
    Participant

Yes, Thanks for your reply. It’s true that my defenses are down: since I posted my first comment I’ve come down with a nasty head cold. I think there is a lot of stuff dormant in my body and yoga is def. shaking things up…It’s unfortunate because I really wanted to complete the 30 days, but my body is forcing me to take a few days off.

fraseram
    Participant

it is important to listen and honor… yoga and a challenge will always be there. just think how much sweeter it will be when you do cross that finish line because you had to work that much harder to get there. besides its not about the 30 day or 60 day tag/line it about what we learn and accomplish out of doing it. This experience will teach you so much more about yourself and force you to grow in ways. You’ve learned humility and how to be mature in stepping back when you needed to. 😛

Bricks
    Participant

I am not doing a 30 day challenge per say. However, for the past month or so I have been going everyday (sometimes more than once a day). Simply because it feels so good, and the more I go the more I want to go. With that all of the progress I have been making is very motivational. I should say I’m not doing strictly Bikram. I switch between Bikram, Hot Vinyasa, and a combination of the two. I am enjoying this new lifestyle, and have never felt better! Are there any reasons why it may not be healthy to go everyday? Does my body actually need some time off?

Thanks,

Michele

roxiegirl
    Participant

I was wondering this too. What kind of schedual do most people do? I am only on day two of a 14 day unlimited pass. I plan on going each day but once the pass is over I will have to figure out just how much I can afford. Is once or twice a week worth it?
    Do you still get benefits if you do it less.

I love this site and all the information.
    Marilyn

Forum Owner

Hi Marilyn

You’ll always get the benefits. It just feels as if they’re happening a lot faster and last longer when you can manage to go more often. There is a reason why most people go multiple times per week. 😉

There’s always home practice if you can’t manage a regular and frequent studio practice.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

sunmickey
    Participant

im on day 15 of the 30 day challenge, the ruke in the studio I go to is if you miss one day of the week you can do a double one day of that week, though you can only do this once a week. Findiding the time to do 30 straight days without this flexabilty would be extreme. Though a double class is pretty tough too.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top