feeling totally agitated…

feeling totally agitated…2010-12-02T03:28:58+00:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am wondering if anyone walks away from a hot yoga class feeling agitated? I’ve been doing regular hatha yoga for years and have always found a sense of happiness at the end even in some very challenging classes. But once I started doing hot yoga, I found myself to be agitated afterwards, grouchy, irritable, just not in a good mood at all. Is this normal? I had been doing hot yoga for probably 4 months or so and this was always my general feeling afterwards. So, I stopped doing it, telling myself that this type of yoga is not right for me right now. But, I am curious to try it again but don’t want this feeling of irritation and grouchiness to come back. That seems counterproductive doesn’t it? Is there any explanation for my physical reaction to the practice?

RandomFemale
    Participant

Jeez, that’s rough. Most days, I’m fine after class.

However…. this DOES happen to me, especially I’m not “dealing with” something really heavy going on in my life. You know, I ignore, ignore, ignore the problem and then in yoga it all comes out and after class I’m, like, “WTF?! That teacher was nuts!” Or, “gosh, I did terribly, I suck, etc.”

Sometimes it seems to worsen my anxiety, too. What keeps me coming back is that the irritability/anxiety subsides after a couple of hours and then I feel better than ever. How long did the anger last for you?

fraseram
    Participant

I find I get that pumped and agitated irritability after class if I push too hard or the room is too hot ect…. something that my sets my flight or fight response physically. It then can take me awhile to calm down…… if I have the mentality that this is just yoga and go in to breathe relax and stretch I come out on cloud nine 🙂

Springtime
    Participant

There was a time when some of the more “upbeat” teachers, with their more aggressive styles agitated me a bit. But now that my practice is stronger I can continue to meditate no matter how irritating the tracher might be.

connie36
    Participant

I can totally understand not wanting to go back if that were the result!

While I’ve definitely had some more negative emotional feelings pop up for a few moments in class, overall, I generally leave feeling quite good. And I’ve noticed myself feeling happier overall – even caught myself smiling for no reason on numerous occasions since I’ve started. I’ve kind of attributed this to practicing smiling at myself in the mirror during class. Several of the instructors will remind us to do that, and at first it felt very awkward and silly, but it’s been a wonderful thing for my overall well-being. So much so, that often, I set that as my intention for class – remember to smile. And I’ve found that the expressions of pain or exertion are of no help. If I come out of a position enough to regain composure in my face, I can often go back into the pose and do it even better.

sagougodi
    Participant

Hi Akyoakam,
    I just reply to another post to say that I have quiet the same issue.
    I’m a man (34), I’m practicing Yoga since 5-6 years. I’ve been teaching for a while too.
    I now practice hot Yoga (Moksha) for more than a year.
    I’m in love with the focus that hot yoga bring to me but I have to face that often I feel impatient, irritable after the class. It come also with a very sensitive skin.
    My guess is that is related with acidity or the nervous system.
    I try to figure out what is in imbalance after a massive loss of water but I didn’t find yet.(I took minerals, but it’s not look like that it was the right fit or dosage)
    If you found any information it will be very apreciate.

Have a great practice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top