Internal body temp?

Internal body temp?2011-02-19T17:21:07+00:00
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Okay, this is only indirectly a “heat” quetion, but I couldn’t decide which area to post it in:

Does anyone have an idea of what temperature the internal body reaches during hot yoga classes? I’d take a thermometer and find out myself, but my instructors rather frown on students showing up with much more than a towel and a mat.

kennM

connie36
    Participant

As far as I know, your core temperature shouldn’t really be up much at all. Your body is capable of regulating itself to stay at it’s normal temperature range despite the external conditions.

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

Exactly right Connie – after all, the purpose of sweating to is keep the core temp in line. There’s a good article we were given permission to reprint here: http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/hot-yoga-facts.htm

Gabrielle was discussing kennM’s post today and wondering exactly what region of the body the internal temp would be taken from … we’ve seen a few odd things in yoga classes in our time … but never a rectal thermometer …

So yes, i wouldn’t expect any real change outside of the body’s usual fluctuations, unless there were an issue eg excessive external heat or illness.

Namaste,

Robert

eric_m
    Participant

I periodically take my temperature after class (orally). It does get elevated – typically a bit over 101F, have seen it up to 101.7. My studio is one of those that is overheated – regularly over 110F, 50% humidity.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Eric

Oral temperature is a good guide but it’s not as accurate as other ways to measure temp. You want core temperature… Now the best way to do that is a more intimate measurement. 😆

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top