sustained holdings

sustained holdings2011-07-11T21:31:03+00:00
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello there,

I have been wondering about holding poses instead of doing 2 separate sets. I find that a sustained hold on camel and fixed firm pose as you suggest in the HYMC CD, helps me getting deeper in the pose. Not sure that makes much sense, but sometimes I wonder about long holdings in other poses such as rabbit and half tortoise. I still practice at home using the class CD. What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Liliana

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Liliana

I think a mixture of approaches is good! Even from class to class. Not just pose to pose. For example for Rabbit I prefer 2 sets because I find that most people don’t have stamina for one long set.

For Half Tortoise, the practice one gets for core strengthening on the way in and out is great to do in 2 sets.

I agree about the camel and supta poses.

In the end it usually depends on time available and how you feel on the day!

Experiment. Have fun. Be the observer.

(Then come back and report if you wish!)

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

cthajec
    Participant

Not training at home and belonging to a Bikram studio, one gets a little tied into the Bikram routine. Bikram of course is quite severe about following his regime to the letter! I often feel like I could do a longer hold in a number of the poses in the second half of the series…..and this confirms my thoughts… I don’t imagine the Bikram instructors at my studio would be too keen to allow such a deviation from the routine/dialogue. (But they do allow more advanced postures in the sitting head to knee….)

I agree with class to class assessment of whether or not to hold a double posture….some days you are strong and others you’re less so….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top