I am quite overweight and doing hot yoga

I am quite overweight and doing hot yoga2008-04-24T00:47:10+00:00
Viewing 8 posts - 101 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I just started 1 wk ago & I think I’m hooked! Tomorrow will be 3 rd class for me? In response to your initial thread, there are all shapes & sizes in my classes! A couple are perfect in my eyes, but my point is that I am the worse person in the class & only pray in 3 months practicing 2 times a week that I will be able to do the basic poses then moving on to next steps from the core basics.

I wanted to try ‘hot yoga’ for awhile & by chance a local studio recently started in my area. First class was a challenge since I mainly have been a runner, swimmer for regular exercise & I also have some pounds to shed so…..Anyways after class I felt amazing, it is a wonderful feeling. My joints felt lighter & mentally I was so happy even though the class was difficult for me.

There are so many ups & downs in life…some in our control,but others not in our control….keep motivated!

Aloha, Mika

DanielleNZ
    Participant

Hey, I thought I would introduce myself, I’m Danielle, in Canberra, Australia. I started Bikram on the 7th January 2013 weighing 126.1 kgs on my 167cm frame AND last night completed my 10th class, I’ve lost 2.8 kgs and I can feel my body changing. Each class I find I can do something I couldn’t do the class before. Last night I managed to do the last 4 bikram sit ups, where as I couldn’t even get my body 10cm off the floor at each other attempt.

I’m still to get my eating under control and I plan on attempting the 30 day challenge that starts on the 31st of Janruay. I feel so much more positive in my life and stand a lot taller. This journey is pretty exciting!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Danielle

I for one would love to keep a track of your progress.

Is your challenge 30 straight days or 6 days per week (recommended)?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

jo87
    Participant

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi jo87

I noticed you had a WONDERFUL post that seems to have been deleted for some reason. I just want to say that your story was very inspiring. If you need any help or have any questions then feel free to post again. Did you finish your challenge?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

watt.kristina
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get motivated to go to yoga. I have gone before and I loved it, but I am having difficulty going back. I am 197 up from 150 and this extra weight is making me extra lazy. Can anyone tell me their experiences with yoga and their body changing shape? I’m interested more in the emotional/mental and physical aspects (car accident) from yoga, but…at this point hearing about how nice my body will look might get me motivated to at least show up!

mothership_srb
    Participant

Hi, I’m new and just wanted to join in the conversation.
    I am 42 and have been heavy since my late 20s (first baby weight never went away, second baby piled more on top). But, because I am tall and I have always enjoyed exercise 210 pounds didn’t look that bad. Rather suddenly in the last year, everything has redistributed and I look lumpy and bumpy. I keep hurting things at the gym and having to take weeks off to heal. I jumped on the wii fit with my kids one night and found I was now at 228 pounds. It was a bit of a wake up call.

Like so many others a Groupon for 20 classes caught my attention. I am not new to yoga, I have gone through periods of pretty regular practice and then I would find water aerobics, or pilates or cross-fit and stop going. I am a serial dieter and exerciser and somehow I’m just getting bigger.
    So, my local studio is gorgeous, I feel so lucky, heated matted floors and wonderful showers and the instructors have all been encouraging and very kind. My first class was really hard, so much harder than I anticipated, I sat down a lot but tried to do at least the second shorter set of each exercise. My girth means that some poses are inaccessible to me, my balance is off in most one legged poses and I fall out after a few seconds. It was hard to accept that I had let myself get to this place where I cant do a tree pose anymore. I left my first class angry and emotional, I went home and fell asleep, so exhausted, so out of shape…so discouraged. But the next morning, i wasn’t as sore as I thought I was going to be and I felt sort of energized, so I went back and did it again and had an entirely different experience.

Well, i just finished class 9 and it was a hard one. Class 8 was kind of euphoric, I floated out to my car. But today was hard, I felt huge and lumpy and unattractive, I had to stop twice and stand and breathe, I had been able to get through my last couple of classes without a break. It just felt hotter and I was sort of nauseous by the end, avoiding looking in the mirrors. So, as I was laying in the last savasana and our instructor was turning down the lights and saying “good class everyone,” she suddenly turned to me and said “Sarah, thank you for being here today, your practice is beautiful and I so enjoy watching you.” And I said thank you then laid on my mat and cried for a few minutes in the dim light. I don’t know what she was seeing or what sort of nudge or validation the universe was giving me but the knowledge suddenly crashed into me, I have a practice. I have a practice.

I have been at this 3 times a week, trying to work up to 5 and I don’t think I have lost weight, but I feel stronger and I feel like I’m re-shaping in a good way. I think once I corral my eating habits a bit and get into a rhythm of going Monday-Friday, I will start to see visible and tangible results. Already, I am sleeping really well, no headaches in 3 weeks and my usual aches and minor joint pain are much diminished.

I think this is going to be my practice for a very long time.

yogaprincess7
    Participant

I saw this thread and can attest that I’m heavier than the people mentioned and I’m a regular practitioner of Bikram Yoga. I’ve been practicing for a year and a 1/2 and it has changed me in more ways than I can ever imagine. I’ve gone from practicing in long tops to just going into that room wearing bike shorts and a sports bra. I’m slowly learning to love myself in ways that I never imagined possible.

I don’t know how to submit pictures to show you the difference Bikram Yoga has made in my life but if you google

Yoga Princess Bikram Nancy Taylor

you’ll see my pictures. Bikram yoga works if you want it too!

Viewing 8 posts - 101 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top