Swollen ankles and feet

Swollen ankles and feet2012-05-04T14:56:08+00:00
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

Great website!

I am a new hot yoga devotee. I notice that my feet and ankles are swollen in class. Normally I have bony feet and tiny ankles. Since starting the practice 5 weeks ago, they have definitely gotten larger. I recently had to stop practice for 1 week and my feet and ankles returned to their former size. Any thoughts on this?

Also, is this likely happening throughout my body? Initially I lost 5 lbs from my practice but then the weight returned…although I am hoping it returned more in the form of muscle.

Thanks and namaste.

Victoria

Andrea.*F.
    Participant

Hello Victoria,

Thank you, it’s lovely to hear that you like the page 🙂 Welcome to the Forum!

In order to solve this issue, first I’d like you to answer a few questions for me.
    – When your feet/ankles swelled up, were they sensitive to touch? Did they hurt? Do you think, you might have gotten injured somehow?
    – Please tell me how much water you drink on days when you practise and on days when you don’t.
    – Do you have salt in your diet? If yes, is it regular (table) salt or natural crystal salt?

Swelling could be a sign of water retention, as well as a sign of injury. So please answer these questions with as much detail as possible and we’ll take it from there 😉

Weight gain can be a sign of a number of things. As you said, it could be from gaining muscles as they weigh more than fat. Have you noticed any changes in your shape?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Namaste,

Andrea

Andrea.*F.
    Participant

Hi Victoria,

Just checking if you have made any progress or done any research regarding your issue? Are you still experiencing the same thing? I’d like to hear your story, if you are willing to share 😉

Namaste,

Andrea

vokba
    Participant

Hi Andrea,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. IN fact, due to illness in my husbands family, I have had to stay away from my practice for 3 weeks. Just restarted last week! So, let’s see what happens this time around. Much like many newbies to Bikram yoga, I quickly became addicted and was practicing almost every day. Perhaps this was too much for my body all at once. Not that I am not in shape, but yoga is a different kind of discipline. I am 49 and a healthy 58 kilos so my practice is more about all around balance (in life and on the mat!) but I admit that it would be nice to slim the legs a bit. I used to do more cardio training and some limited pilates.

In response to the problem I was having (swollen ankles and feet), I don’t think it was an injury. No pain at all. I started part way through making my own electrolyte drink by adding celtic salt, lemon and maple syrup to bottles water. Now I am also drinking coconut water.

This time around my goal is to practice 5 days a week and give my body 2 days off for rest. Will keep you posted!

Namaste,

Victoria

Andrea.*F.
    Participant

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for the update, it’s much appreciated! 🙂

I really like the sound of your home made electrolyte drink 😉 I love to drink coconut water after class too and while it’s a lovely reward after working hard for 90 minutes, natural crystal (Celtic) salt does a much better job at replenishing the minerals you lose due sweating in a Hot Yoga class. When it comes to electrolytes salt is the king!

I hope this time you’ll have a more pleasant experience. Definitely keep Us posted.

Namaste,

Andrea

mayraisoverqualified
    Participant

Hello Victoria,

I just wanted to say that I’ve been searching the internet with the same problems. Since I started hot yoga I’ve experience swollen feet and ankles, sometimes my knees. I even went to get my blood checked, because it swelled so much so it hurt to walk. I had been doing hot yoga for 4 months and decided to cancel my membership. Truth is, the swelling immediately stopped. I’m confident I was having some type of reaction to hot yoga. Perhaps it was the joints and liquids spreading that caused it. It never was painful other than the bottom of my foot being stretched. Good to know whatever it was stopped once I stopped the hot yoga. Thank you.

Valentina

Hi,

Great website!

I am a new hot yoga devotee. I notice that my feet and ankles are swollen in class. Normally I have bony feet and tiny ankles. Since starting the practice 5 weeks ago, they have definitely gotten larger. I recently had to stop practice for 1 week and my feet and ankles returned to their former size. Any thoughts on this?

Also, is this likely happening throughout my body? Initially I lost 5 lbs from my practice but then the weight returned…although I am hoping it returned more in the form of muscle.

Thanks and namaste.

Victoria

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello folks

If you’re ever having problems with swelling, then it’s worthwhile checking on your hydration and your electrolyte intake. As Andrea said, above, holding on to water can be a sign of dehydration.

All sorts of issues happen in very hot rooms. If the room is heated too high or the heat and humidity are high, then we also need to investigate heat conditions such as heat exhaustion.

Use Dr Google to check out the list of signs and symptoms of hyponatremia (not enough electrolytes) and heat exhaustion. You should know what they are so you can make changes for yourself or recognise problems in others.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top