Dull Ache in my Molars after class

Dull Ache in my Molars after class2012-07-16T20:03:26+00:00
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,
    A strange question I am sure but does anyone experience a dull ache in the are or their molar teeth after Hot Yoga?. I understand that blood flow and increased circulation can ‘open’ pathways in the body but I have also read that tooth ache can be related to heart attack?
    I am a yoga instructor – fairly new to hot yoga and quite physically fit. I am curious to know if this is specific to me or if anyone else feels the same thing. I am quite sure that I am not holding tension in my jaw or grinding my teeth during practice. I should add that my teeth are also in quote good condition so I definitely think it is related to the hot yoga class?
    Any comments would be gratefully received.
    Thank you

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Ria

I practised as a dentist for many years! So we’ll start with teeth first … yoga later. :cheese:

Please tell me, do you floss your teeth? How often do you floss? What do you use to floss? More questions later!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

riagreeneyoga
    Participant

Hi there,
    I do take good care of my teeth and floss everyday – I don’t experience this kind of ache at any other time. I feel it might be to do with increased rate of blood circulation during and after class.. I have fairly low blood pressure so maybe it is also linked. I guess it’s just a little odd and I was curious if it is unique to me.
    Thanks for your reply – I am very excited to have joined this online community.

jonny sarasana
    Participant

Hi! I noticed a change i my bite after starting Bikram –sometimes with aches. My bite is a mess, but much better now than before I started for sure. I have TMJ and never felt as though I could properly align my teeth together (accompanied with much neck and jaw pain). Anyhow, Bikram has completely helped to align my entire body and my bite as well and alleviate the pain. I never realized how messed up my alignment was before i started. I even grew an entire inch after the first couple months. But the first few months felt very strange as my body was realigning. I felt as though my bite kept shifting every few days, which would in turn, cause pain in different areas of my mouth. I’m in my sixth month of practicing 5-6 times a week and my bite probably settled around the third month. I also really have to be aware of relaxing my face during class –especially my jaw and tongue because I tend to carry a lot of stress there.

riagreeneyoga
    Participant

Hello,
    Thanks for your response – very insightful. I did find yesterday that it may also be due to the fact that I am holding tension in my jaw during standing separated head to knee pose. In the first few moments as my chins falls toward my chest. Noticing it and consciously relaxing my jaw definitely helped. So I think that was the cause all along. I love that this practice eventually aligns everything 🙂
    Kind Regards,
    Ria.

Forum Owner

Hmmmm… sometimes the effort in doing the yoga to get some place is the problem. Work on being present with what is happening right now. Get your foundations right. It is highly possible that your technique for this pose needs some adjusting. Often the strain happens when people do their poses incorrectly. Often all you need is a small tweak in technique and you’ll find the ease and keep the challenge: no struggle. The stress you are feeling in your jaw could actually be the result of trying too hard.

Ria, why don’t you ‘meet me’ at the Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee pose section and we can talk about where your struggle is or was? You may already find that your answers are there in existing posts.

See posts on Standing Separate Leg Head To Knee Pose here.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

saskiahicks
    Participant

Hi there,

I just started bikram yoga a couple of weeks ago. I have just started experiencing the same tooth pain, which I have never had before. It started just half an hour after getting out of class.

I don’t grind my teeth nor felt any strain on my jaw during class.

Is there some other explaination for this?

Thanks

Forum Owner

Hi Eliza

It is possible that you are not aware of any clenching. Particularly so when you’re learning a new skill. In this case you are trying to tune into hundreds of instructions. One’s mind is limited in the number of things it can pay attention to in regard to conscious awareness. It is therefore possible that over time as you learn the poses you may be more likely to pay some conscious awareness time to any tension in your jaws.

There is no other reason that I can think of that yoga would trigger sore teeth.

Of course if there are other times that you’re feeling this issue, either before your weeks at yoga or at any other time during the day then that is probably another conversation. So is there any other time that this happens?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Katherine Carlson
    Participant

Hi! I get this too! I personally think it’s the inflammation from the heat innervating the trigeminal nerve – the bottom branch affects sensation in your teeth. Do you get any other face pain? Does it happen at other times? Inversions are the worst for me – I think it’s all the blood flow to the head – again pressing on the nerve cauicau pain. Let me know if it still bothers you or has gone away. Cheers!

Forum Owner

That’s a very hypothesis interesting Katherine. Thanks for your input. Hadn’t thought of that one. Would that mean that a very hot shower could cause the same problem? A question I have for you about the inversion factor is how aware of your shoulders and their state of relaxation are you? I notice many students invert and find difficulty in releasing their shoulders especially if it involves grip/traction/pulling.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top