Bruised Knees

Bruised Knees2012-09-12T19:10:36+00:00
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi!

Does anyone else notice bruising on their knees after camel pose? I started noticing it after my first few classes and now I just have seemingly permanent bruises on my knees (I’m assuming from this pose but I could be wrong). They don’t necessarily hurt or anything…more of a cosmetic annoyance I suppose. Just curious if anyone else experiences this.

Thanks!
    Amelia

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Amelia

Actually I haven’t had bruises, but in the past I have had rough little red spots at the point of pressure.

Can you tell us what exactly is between you and the floor and what the floor is made of?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

arcullen2010
    Participant

Yes! I have a fairly thin mat (I don’t like the thicker ones) and just a regular towel between me and the hardwood floors. I also almost always wear full leggings or ones that go at least half way down my calf so there’s that extra little layer as well. The bruises don’t seem to hurt at all, but they haven’t gone away either. I’ve also started to notice that as I get better at floor bow and full locust I seem to be getting bruises on my hip bones as well, although these are fairly new and don’t seem as “permanent” as the knee bruises.

Thanks!
    Amelia

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Amelia

As an immediate help you may need something soft under your hips which doubles as a knee or ankle aid. A soft folded towel that you put across the hip area of your mat for when you lie down and then leave it there and position yourself on it for camel, rabbit and any other poses where you feel the pressure.

There is no problem with doing that. You could easily position a strip of folded towel (or a bit of cut yoga mat) there at the beginning of class, not stand on it, avoid it for the poses that it would cause an imbalance or asymmetry.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top