Savasana on my stomach anxiety

Savasana on my stomach anxiety2012-09-14T02:33:45+00:00
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know there is a thread about anxiety in Savasana on the back, but I have a very hard time breathing ( or rather accepting that obviously I’m breathing) when we are on our stomachs. I try to chant “Peace. Be still” or focus on something in the room. It works ok sometimes but I’ve never gotten through all the back strengthening poses without having to at leat come up onto my elbows. Granted I’m only a month-and-a-half old at Bikram.

Does anyone have suggestions for me? Even if just to say it will come in time?

Thanks very much!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Heather

Can you tell me: Where is your visual focus when you are lying on your tummy? You may need to go to class to work that out (so if you have to guess, don’t, just report back). When you feel the anxiety, what happens? Do you feel nauseous, is it reflected in heart and breathing rate, can you feel palpitations? When does it stop? As soon as you get up off the floor? I am sure rationally you know there is no danger, so what else could you tell me about your inner workings?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

HeatherCee
    Participant

Hi Heather

Can you tell me: Where is your visual focus when you are lying on your tummy? You may need to go to class to work that out (so if you have to guess, don’t, just report back). When you feel the anxiety, what happens? Do you feel nauseous, is it reflected in heart and breathing rate, can you feel palpitations? When does it stop? As soon as you get up off the floor? I am sure rationally you know there is no danger, so what else could you tell me about your inner workings?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Hi! Thanks so much for such a quick reply!

I try to find something within my relaxed line of sight to focus on even if it is a fiber in the carpet or something on the person in my line of sight.

I don’t feel nauseated it is definatly in my breathing and heart rate. I try to talk myself down, even saying to myself each time, “get through this one and sit up on the next if you have to”. It does stop within a minute of lifting up onto my shoulders or turning over onto my side.

I just feel like I’m so heavy and constricted into the floor that i feel like I’m not getting enough air. With that my inner voice gets obsessed. I try not to think of it but trying means im thinking and that starts a vicious cycle. I am over weight and have big boobs so the girls are all up around my face and throat. I do know I’m in no danger, I just can’t seem to convince my animal brain. ; )

kfi2000
    Participant

I sometimes have that experience too. I believe there is a physical reason for part of it….one, you are lying on your chest so breathing isn’t as effortless as when you are on your back. Two, about half your airspace is cut out (being taken up by the floor). So if I haven’t been keeping up with my breathing, then it seems hard to regain my breath in this posture. If I have the slightest bit of congestion, then its really a challenge and I start feeling hotter and a bit anxious.

You seem to be doing some good things from a focus standpoint. The only other thing I would suggest is to really concentrate on breathing well before this part of class (such as the savasana right before it, nice big oxygenating breaths), and of course make sure you are breathing well during the postures themselves.

Gabrielle: your tip for scooting the scapulae together while on the back really does make a difference in breathing….but what about on the stomach?

– Kristin

jonny sarasana
    Participant

i like to focus on massaging my lower back with a slow deep inhale and exhale… through the nose… mouth breathing will encourage an anxious response 🙂

HeatherCee
    Participant

I tried your first suggestion along with my mantras and did really well today. I’m going to try the last one, too, next. Thank you both so much!

Sara V
    Participant

Gabrielle: your tip for scooting the scapulae together while on the back really does make a difference in breathing….but what about on the stomach?

Hi Kristin,

I am a graduate from Gabrielle’s teacher training, my feeling is that you may need to engage your muscles to keep the shoulders down while on the stomach, which would prevent you from completely relaxing; whereas on the back it’s a quick scootch but then you release completely.

Has anyone tried Kristin’s advise on the shoulders in a belly down savasana? If so would you be willing to share your thoughts?

Namaste,

Sara

kfi2000
    Participant

I really haven’t found any particular change in position on the floor to make much difference, other than ensuring the chin is not tucked so that my airway is completely unobstructed. My main focus is to relax, completely. And also to make sure I am breathing properly BEFORE this series, so I don’t go into it with a deficit.

If its a particularly hot class, I find it even harder to breathe, because I’m also not cooling off properly. Staying calm and relaxed becomes even more important.

Always open to anyone’s tips…….

-Kristin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top