Hot yoga causing high blood pressure

Hot yoga causing high blood pressure2012-10-07T17:11:02+00:00
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle —

My concern is with increases in blood pressure caused by hot yoga.

I’ve enjoyed hot yoga (combined with other styles of yoga) for several years. I sweat much more than most and do everything you suggest to maintain hydration… even lots of half-frozen coconut water. But, my systolic BP number (which had always been below 110) recently jumped to well over 120 and stayed high… taking several days without hot yoga to drop, and still not as low as before.

All my health advisers tell me to stop hot yoga… (I’m 67).

I love the hot yoga series (the 26-posture sequence avoids the shoulder and wrist stress of a vinyasa style practice). I believe the hot yoga series could be safely and enjoyably practiced with less heat and less humidity, relying on the heat generated internally in the body — but no local studio offers the series with less than the full 105F and increased humidity prescribed by Bikram.

Please tell me if increased BP is a possible consequence of practicing hot yoga and whether the hot yoga may have already damaged my cardio-vascular system or internal organs in a way to permanently increase my BP.

With many thanks —
    John

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi John

An intriguing issue for sure. High heat usually lowers blood pressure. Is it possible that there are other issues in your life that could have caused the increase?

What are the symptoms you have experienced with this increase? If there are none then it could be transient (or from an as yet unknown cause). Let me know before I start ‘what if-ing’ :cheese:

How many times was the BP been measured when it ‘stayed high’ for those several days? Who measured it, how and under what conditions?

120 as systolic reading is still below that which would be considered minimum SBP for your age. So unless there’s a real physiological reason why you would give up your yoga then I would think of doing one or more of the following: Drop the worry, continue to monitor, continue to do hot yoga, make sure you are not in too hot/too humid conditions that cause any signs of heat exhaustion and so on … (you would do well to Google heat exhaustion so that you’re clear if it ever happens to you)

I would be wary of any health adviser who tells you to stop hot yoga because mostly (and not always) they come from a standpoint of ignorance and fear. For most people in any arena if something is not understood then the adviser usually advises against the said activity, whatever it is.

If you can answer my questions we can see if there’s any reason to stop. You didn’t mention whether your doctor was investigating any other cause of increased SBP. Still, if the reading has stabilised then it is possible it was just one of those things. If not, then investigations may be warranted that may have nothing to do with your yoga practice!

Looking forward to your reply

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Jbigler
    Participant

Many thanks, Gabrielle, for your reply —

As for symptoms, there’s some light-headedness and some lack of energy…

My feeling is that the attempted hydration before/during/after hot yoga goes to my stomach but doesn’t get to the places that need it quickly enough. I’m thinking that the dehydration may actually reduce the amount of circulating blood and cause my heart to pump faster/harder. My Google searches have shown that others have suffered increased BP from hot yoga and seem to support this theory.

As to the number of times my BP was measured and how/what/where/etc. — that’s much of the problem! There seems to be no reliable way to measure BP! The fancy drug store or grocery BP reading machines rely on algorithms that give me readings all over the place… and the home versions of those machines are even worse. And, even with the old-fashioned bulb and cuff and stethoscope methods, the readings go everywhere. Today, my physician’s nurse gave me readings of 130/90, then 126/82, then 112/70… all within 10 minutes, and with lots of rest in the waiting room before the first. Which reading am I to believe?

My initial scare came when a home-reading monitor read 160/130 after hot yoga. I kept repeating the test, and the numbers were unpredictable. I later checked BP several times at the local drug store, and the numbers were in the high 130’s… much higher than I had seen at the same drug store when tested months previously. I don’t really believe the 160/130, but I believe that the BP was significantly elevated.

My doctor seems to not believe that my BP is elevated — he only believes his own readings, and those only after he tests until the results show a single normal result! My sister and nephews are well-trained nurses and they tell me to STOP NOW !!!

Again, I enjoy the 26-posture series and believe that it would work well with reduced temperature/humidity — experienced practitioners, at least, would generate more than enough heat internally, in my opinion. The heat is unnecessary and a gimmick for new practitioners who want to see fast changes in flexibility… well, that’s rather opinionated…

I’m purchasing your Master Class tonight — I don’t really have any issue with my hot yoga practice, which is considered rather strong, but I expect to find a kernel of wisdom in your Master Class, as I do with most weekend yoga workshops. Well, to be honest, I’m purchasing because I was so super-impressed by your former student Sara Jones, an amazing yoga teacher in Traverse City, Michigan!

Namaste —
    John

Forum Owner

Hi John

What a glowing review for Sara. I am so thrilled for her and you! (blushing)

When you hydrate: Is it just plain water?

Now as for the BP. Taking BP is not always reliable. There are so many factors as you can see. The reliability of the equipment then there are all the factors that could be causing different readings. Sometimes the anxiety of the test itself can create false readings. You have probably heard of white coat syndrome!

So, John, have you decided that you’ll continue the yoga for a while at home? Perhaps heating your room to less high levels?

Is that something that appeals? Once you start home practice it is just as rewarding as going to a public studio.

I can promise you there are greater advantages to heating the room well (reasonable and effective levels) than just going to a super-heated public class or opting for an ambient temperature room. Perhaps in more controllable conditions you can continue to thrive and keep checking your BP too. You can really see if excessive heat and humidity is the problem.

I am sure you’ll find by looking around the forum that you can play with the temperature conditions. In short: Buy a good humidifier and then you can heat the room to mid 30s (celsius of course ;)) and get all the benefits you desire – especially that one about feeling great

Let me know what you think

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Jbigler
    Participant

Already!

Again, I’m very impressed!

Hydration? Lots of water during the day, before the yoga class, and 8 oz. of coconut water just before… and a liter of water (half frozen) and a half liter of coconut water (with half liter of frozen water) during class, and a couple liters of water after class…

Well, the obvious solution is home practice! It’s boring… I’ve never been able to do it consistently… I do yoga mostly because it’s fun! I enjoy it… well, perhaps it’s because I like to be with other people occasionally, and yoga class is perfect for that — you can figure that out… Anyway, the social aspect is important to me, even though it makes yoga practice rather expensive, and perhaps unnecessarily so…

No, yoga at home does not appeal!

Now, what? That’s the obvious question… boring home practice or risky ego-boosting practice with healthy 20’s and 30’s (well, a couple 40’s) kids…

Namaste —
    John

Forum Owner

Hi John

When you said you follow my instructions regarding hydration can you tell me what you actually do? I never checked in on that. Sorry ’bout that, chief!

I am sure we’ll find the answer for you. Hopefully it will be inspiring (rather than that lonely home practice!).

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Jbigler
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle —

Yes, that was a bit presumptive of me… saying that I follow your instructions re hydration. I haven’t received your book yet — what I meant was that I had just read your comments in the Forum thread “Heat Stroke Risks?”, which seemed rather on point, and thought I was on track…

My previous comment states my hydration when taking a hot class — lots of water during the day, using sea salt instead of table salt, either expensive electrolytes from Whole Foods or coconut water before and during class, freezing some water in my 2 liter-sized bottles that I use during class, 2 or 3 liters of water after class, at least 5 liters of fluid total during the day, etc. Hydration seems easier with an afternoon or evening class… more difficult with a morning class. I was buying coconut water in liter bottles by the case.

My genes are the northern European type (Swiss/German/etc.) and I grew up in Michigan, with a relatively cool climate. When I’m in a hot class, I’m already dripping sweat during the initial breathing sequence — sweat is pouring out of me during the entire class, much more so than anyone else in the room.

My theory is that my rapid loss of fluid through sweat is not replaced fast enough — that the water and electrolytes that I consume during and after class is still in my stomach and not where it needs to be.

Is there anything else that I can do to reduce my sweating or increase my hydration?

(I haven’t been to my local Charleston, South Carolina Bikram studio in over 2 months. I was on holiday in northern Michigan a couple weeks ago when I enjoyed Sara’s classes, which seemed to be less hot/humid than the classes here.)

Thanks, Gabrielle —
    John

Forum Owner

Hi John

I guess you weren’t really concerned with this whole hot yoga hydration and electrolyte thang while you’ve been troubleshooting your hernia issues. Thanks for the fantastic updates by the way.

Are your questions still the same on this thread? I assume you’re saying that the temps were lower in Sara’s classes. Did that make it better?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Jbigler
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle —

Yes, recently, I’ve been more concerned with my recovery from the hernia, than my BP. Since I’ve been totally omitting hot yoga, hydration hasn’t been a problem. I’ve been using exercise machines, attending fitness classes, pilates (mat, ball and roller), aqua aerobics, and Zumba classes, (sometimes 2 or 3 classes per day), and I’ve dug out a stump with a mattock (pick axe). I’ve also been to traditional yoga classes and some strenuous Jivamukti yoga (even classes with Bollywood music), but not to hot yoga.

I enjoy the sauna at the Wellness Center, and I’ve been using the sauna there several times each week… almost every day. I sweat as much as I did in the hot yoga classes, but I seem to hydrate okay with only water. The sauna is about 175F, and I enjoy 30 minutes in, with a 10 minute slow cool-down before another 15 minutes in. My body seems to handle that heat well, even without electrolytes. My BP was measured at 112/70 about a month ago (with cuff and stethoscope) when I donated blood at the Red Cross.

Yes, Gabrielle, I’m still concerned with the same BP questions about hot yoga. Soon, I plan to monitor my BP more closely and try a class at the local Bikram studio. I’ll stress my age/BP concerns (talking to the instructor before class), and I’ll try to take in a thermometer/hygrometer… but, of course, the temperature and humidity measured at the floor won’t be what I’ll be experiencing. I believe that my sauna prep may be helpful. Yes, Sara’s class in Traverse City, Michigan was not nearly as hot and humid as the local Bikram studio.

A related topic is clothing… yes, I’ve followed some threads. The people who insist on the highest temperatures and humidity are often the ones who spend $$$ on the skimpiest, wicking-fabric hot yoga costumes, perhaps so they won’t experience the heat as much!!! IMHO If they dressed as newbies or in sweatsuits or similar jogging type costumes, they could get the same benefits with less heat… and people like me would be much happier with the reduced heat? just a thought…

I still believe that the hot yoga caused my high BP scare. I want to get a clear BP baseline first, and then give the hot yoga another try… and I’ll give you a report when I do… maybe I’ll try going topless to see if it helps…

John

Jbigler
    Participant

Gabrielle —

You asked earlier about any other possible causes of the BP issue. And, it just occurred to me that there is something that I could mention…

For several years, I’ve noticed symptoms that might suggest a reduction in circulation to my fingers and feet. When I’m in over-cooled A/C in the summer, my fingers may become somewhat numb. And, when I first go to bed in the winter, my feet take a very long time to warm up. And, there are perhaps some other similar symptoms when I’m in cold rooms or sleeping with my limbs in cramped positions, etc.

I’ve mentioned this to my physical doctor, but he hasn’t been much concerned… so I didn’t mention it to you earlier. Could this be related to my BP issue?

Thanks —
    John

Jbigler
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle —

Bikram, again!!! Yes, after a little more than 6 months without hot yoga, I finally went to a Bikram class this afternoon… and it went rather well…

As before, I’m frustrated by the variability of today’s BP readings — 139/65 (after breakfast), then 126/61, 117/70, 122/76, and 104/64 (after a Zumba class)… all today on the same automatic machine at the local pharmacy… then, after Bikram, 127/60 and 125/56… then, after a big dinner, 131/58, 95/70 (error?) and 107/63… all with pulse rates ranging from 63 to 78 (after dinner).

Obviously, I need a better way of measuring BP. The physical doctor’s office is not convenient… and the Red Cross reads my BP only every 56 days, when I donate blood.

You may say that the readings are just fine, even with today’s Bikram class, but my BP readings were nearly all under 110/x a year or two ago… and I’d like to get them back down. I’m thinking that I over-indulged the sauna (45 minutes/day) at the Wellness Center (without electrolytes) and that I need to give that a rest to see how my BP changes.

I felt good during today’s class and performed about as well as before — good balance, strength, flexibility and stamina — except for my knees… they were still sore/inflamed from the Zumba classes and my toe stand and fixed-firm pose suffered some.

I believe that my excessive sweating is unhealthy — I’m dripping sweat halfway through half-moon pose and pouring sweat through the rest of the class — considering that I’m nearly 68. Next time, I’ll try some wicking briefs/shorts and go topless, to see if that helps… but, I’m not optimistic. I had hoped that my daily 45 minutes in the sauna would have helped prepare me more…

So, I’ll wait at least a couple more days and give it another try. I’d like to go to hot yoga twice a week, mixed in with other yoga/pilates classes, but I’m afraid that the local Bikram studio is a little too hot for me!

Any more suggestions? Thanks —

John

Jbigler
    Participant

Hi, again —
    Only 4 days since my last post… that was reporting my first Bikram class in over 6 months, and today was my second —

Today, I did an exercise class and a zumba class, and then a 30-minute sauna, all at the Wellness Center… and, feeling good, with a BP reading of 112/55, and a repeat BP reading of 98/60, with heart rates of 68 and 67 bpm, both at my usual pharmacy BP machine, I decided to try another Bikram class (in spite of the sauna)… eating lunch and trying to re-hydrate, first…

This was my FIRST time going topless!!! (not so easy for a guy who’s nearly 68)… and I wore lightweight nylon shorts over wicking-poly briefs… previously, I had always worn cotton gym shorts over cotton briefs, and a cotton tanktop, so I hoped that this would save me from the heat/humidity problems.

I performed well in the 4:30pm class — good balance, strength, flexibility and stamina — but I flagged a little in the floor series, apparently due to the loss of fluid during the sauna and my drinking of 2 liters of water/coconut water during the class (feeling a little “full” and slightly nauseous)…

The surprise was that going topless and wearing a skimpy wicking costume seemed to make very little difference!!! I was still dripping sweat during the opening breathing sequence, and I was absolutely pouring sweat during the rest of the class — much more than anyone else. The room was nearly full (30 people) and was perhaps slightly warmer, but not much different from 4 days ago.

Another surprise was that no one mentioned that I was topless! No one seemed to notice… all the other (younger) men were topless, of course… I know the instructors well and even they didn’t seem to notice it. Of course, I DID notice it — it was not nearly as much fun to look at the mirror! I believe that I’ve decided to revert to my previous costume…

As for the BP, I stopped at the same pharmacy on the way home and had a BP reading of 100/72 with a heart rate of 78 bpm.

Any thoughts?

John

Forum Owner

Hi John

Your BP seems fab! Are you happy with both the BP and HR?

Are you still measuring as often?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Jbigler
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle —

I’m still puzzled by my BP readings — sometimes they’re fabulous and sometimes they’re scary! My current practice is to try for one or two Bikram classes each week (in addition to other yoga classes) but to always check my BP and HR before and after class.

A couple weeks ago, I hydrated, packed up my half-frozen bottles of coconut water, and stopped at the pharmacy to check my readings on the way to a Bikram class — 139/71 and 64bps! I waited a few minutes, retested, and canceled my trip to the Bikram studio. After that, I was on holiday in San Francisco.

Yesterday, I packed for Bikram yoga once again and checked my readings on the way to class — 123/56 and 70bps… not at good as I’d like, but okay, I thought, as long as I would be careful not to overdue the postures, so I went to class. And, after class, I was surprised to get readings of 96/54 and 80bps…!

I don’t believe that the readings prove much about Bikram yoga increasing or decreasing BP — they’re mostly just confusing… but they do suggest to me that constant monitoring of my BP (before and after Bikram practice) is very important for my safety.

Thanks for your comments —
    John

Forum Owner

Hi John

Honestly, I think you may be measuring your ‘vitals’ too often. For me, it would be way too confining to live life by numbers. You are MUCH more than a reading on a sphygmomanometer.

There! I have said it 🙂

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

PS: Your lifestyle appears to be ENORMOUSLY healthy. Now live your life the way you want to. Maybe be present with the way you feel instead of relying on the numbers. Just a thought… (hope i am not outa line there!)

Jbigler
    Participant

Thanks, Gabrielle, for your concern… and chastisement…

But, perhaps you’ve misunderstood.

I’m saying that I am checking my BP only once or twice a week, when I’m on my way to a crazy-hot-humid Bikram class. Does that really seem excessive? I’m almost 68 years old. If my local Bikram-TM studio ownner would turn down the humidity a notch, the 105F wouldn’t phase me at all, but the humidity is so high that my sweating gives me absolutely no cooling…

To be honest, the BP test on the way to the Bikram studio is only to make me feel better — my sister and nephew who are nurses have told me to stay away from hot yoga altogether, and the BP test makes me feel as though I’m not totally ignoring their well-meaning concern and advice.

John

Forum Owner

Hi John

I have been simply responding to your own posts on this very thread. I hope you don’t mind but I have picked out a few here so that you can see what ‘evidence’ I have had to go on. So, here is where I get my impression that you have, at times, possibly (as suggested, 😉 without accusation, possibly had a focus that could be considered excessive! That’s me being as diplomatic as I can be! :cheese:

7 October. In this example, in order to know that BP took several days to drop, it is implicit that you checked it several times.

my systolic BP number (which had always been below 110) recently jumped to well over 120 and stayed high… taking several days without hot yoga to drop, and still not as low as before.

7 February

Soon, I plan to monitor my BP more closely and try a class at the local Bikram studio. I’ll stress my age/BP concerns (talking to the instructor before class), and I’ll try to take in a thermometer/hygrometer… but, of course, the temperature and humidity measured at the floor won’t be what I’ll be experiencing.

21 February. 10 readings in one day.

As before, I’m frustrated by the variability of today’s BP readings—139/65 (after breakfast), then 126/61, 117/70, 122/76, and 104/64 (after a Zumba class)… all today on the same automatic machine at the local pharmacy… then, after Bikram, 127/60 and 125/56… then, after a big dinner, 131/58, 95/70 (error?) and 107/63… all with pulse rates ranging from 63 to 78 (after dinner).

25 February, before class. Twice measured.

Today, I did an exercise class and a zumba class, and then a 30-minute sauna, all at the Wellness Center… and, feeling good, with a BP reading of 112/55, and a repeat BP reading of 98/60, with heart rates of 68 and 67 bpm, both at my usual pharmacy BP machine, I decided to try another Bikram class (in spite of the sauna)… eating lunch and trying to re-hydrate, first…

25 February, after class. 1 reading.

As for the BP, I stopped at the same pharmacy on the way home and had a BP reading of 100/72 with a heart rate of 78 bpm.

So John, perhaps you can see why I said what I did. I still believe that unless there is a reason to check the numbers, then just go by how you feel. Well meaning relatives or not, you are having a wonderful time in your many varied health pursuits.

The numbers are just numbers** and the variance between readings is there due to a multitude of factors. Many of those factors you would have little control over. **Unless there’s a valid reason to check it often then maybe skip it. Or maybe take it once every, I don’t know, maybe 6 months at a check up in a controlled environment.

How many people do you know as vibrantly healthy as your good self? It’s just a thought but I wonder how much more free you would feel when you just go by how you feel instead of worrying about the opinion of some people who despite being very close relatives have an opinion you don’t share about hot yoga. How important is their opinion to you? It appears that they carry some weight.

The world is full of people that don’t believe what others believe on millions of fronts. It’s just what makes the world interesting. And it’s your life.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Jbigler
    Participant

Wow! You’ve really been attentive… to each of my posts! Thank you.

I agree — the frequency of those readings was excessive and even obsessive! But, that was merely my attempt to learn about the variability of the BP-testing machines. That’s in the past! My conclusion was that changes of 10-20 points don’t mean much — a meaningful shift seems to be at least 30 points.

So, now, I check my BP only once or twice a week… when I’m thinking of going to the Bikram studio (too much humidity and 105F). I consider how I feel, and I choose a different studio if my systolic number is near or above 140. You may think that’s excessive, but it helps me enjoy the hot practice.

Again, many thanks —
    John

Jbigler
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle —

Yes, I’ve come around to your thinking… that my focus on BP readings was excessive and unnecessary. But, when your age is nearly (now) 68, it’s easy to get scared.

Now, I check my BP only occasionally, and only when I feel lightheaded or otherwise different than normal. I don’t hesitate to go to a Bikram class unless I feel weak or am experiencing dizziness after bending over, etc. On those occasions, I’ll skip yoga altogether or go to a vinyasa style class instead of Bikram. And, I don’t do Bikram two days in a row, to give my body more time to rest.

I’ve only checked my BP once in the past month, and the reading of 116/73 and pulse of 71bpm (without taking time to rest) seemed to confirm that my frequent BP readings were unnecessary.

Again, thanks Gabrielle, for your attention, concern and advice!

John

Forum Owner

Hi John

It’s great to hear things are going well on all fronts: Hernias, BP and life in general. Thank you for the update.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Jbigler
    Participant

Has it been that long? Almost 2 years since I last posted an update?
    I’ve overcome my concern about my blood pressure.

I just finished a 60-day challenge, where my target was (only) at least 3 days/week. I completed more than 30 practices (including several doubles) even though I missed almost 2 weeks with the flu. I never (maybe once?) checked my blood pressure because I didn’t feel at risk.

Yesterday, a day when I did not practice yoga, I stopped by my local pharmacy for a blood pressure check, just out of curiosity. The readings were 107/63 with a pulse of 66, and I could have rested before the test to improve the results! Not bad for an old guy who will turn 70 in 2 months.

I can’t really explain the progress. I’m careful to hydrate during class, usually with half coconut water, but I believe that it’s more a matter of my body adapting to the practice and heat/humidity (my studio is often excessive) over time.

Cheers!
    John

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top