Want to do Bikram/Hot Yoga at Home, Tips?

Want to do Bikram/Hot Yoga at Home, Tips?2013-01-12T21:48:54+00:00
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I had a Groupon for 2 months of unlimited Bikram and it’s ending. Unfortunately I cannot really afford to continue paying for classes so I’d like to start this at home. I am wondering if anyone has general tips, i.e. how to get hot enough? I really don’t want to jack up my heat in my condo, I think that will cause mold problems. Is it possible to just wear a lot of clothing and get the same effect? Also will listening to the poses on an audio CD suffice? I prefer just listening and not have to watch a TV.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Kate

You’re addicted. 😆 Good for you!

2 things: Many of the questions you ask are already answered in this section on the forum. You chose well by putting your question in the “Practicing at Home or Travelling?” section. So please hunt around.

A propos of your concerns of mold, I do believe that you could greatly benefit from a personal infra-red heater that would heat you and not the whole space. You could have one aimed at you, or even one on each side of you!

Whatever you do, ventilation is key to clearing the air after you practice.

Besides the forum you could find a lot more information assembled together in one spot (or in several spots! 😉 ) …

Here’s where you may be interested in some help (beyond the forum): Take a look at the top of this page. You’ll see 3 ads. Yes these are products you can buy. I am just making you aware of them. All 3 will have something that will appeals to you. You can also find them in the top “Products” menu right up the top of every Hot Yoga Doctor website page.

The Home Practice Kit has many elements that will help you: A pdf manual with information about heating the room, insulation, even hydration and clothing, how to place your mat and mirrors. There is a transcript of the audio class too and photos of the finished poses and lists of benefits. The kit has a 90 min audio class on CD and mp3 (and a few other shorter classes if you get the audiovisual pack).

Now that the Hot Yoga MasterClass manual is in Paperback the cost of owning it has come right down to less than the price of 2 public classes.

The issue with home practice is that you really need to be even more diligent about having a precise practice. This is a ‘real’ book and completely different to the kit mentioned in the above paragraph.

The Hot Yoga MasterClass manual has all the steps you need to make sure you know how to do the poses with best physiological principles taken into account, how to avoid the mistakes that cause risk, injury and damage. And there are descriptions and pictures of the mistakes that are made (common and uncommon).

More importantly there are descriptions and pictures to show you how to fix your mistakes.

I will leave it to you to check out the bonuses and the different packages. Of course come to the forum, as many answers are already here. Just no photos!

Can you wear a lot of clothing? Well, yes you can. But consider seeing if you can work with infrared heating. There are special exercising suits for those who want to sweat. I have never used them. Maybe someone in a similar position can chime in!

You asked if an audio class is sufficient. It is if it’s a good class. I use the same set of classes when I practice at home. Yes, some of them are mine! I can’t listen to a poor quality class more than once.

Hope that all helps

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

kbmichael01
    Participant

Gabrielle

I have enjoyed using your DVD series and the guided practices using the iPod apps at home when I cannot make it to the studio. I really enjoy your dialogue!

I have participated in several ‘silent’ practices at my studio – the instructor actually did talk but only to announce the beginning of the asana, any transition, and then the end. I found that practice was immensely enjoyable and meditative, as I was able to focus on my breath and the alignment and depth of the asana without what is sometimes the ‘distraction’ of the standard Bikram dialogue.

have you considered recording something like the practice I described above? I would love to use that at home for my practices where I really want to have a quieter experience!

thanks so much!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Kirk

I have indeed often thought about it! Maybe this year is the year :cheese:

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

kbmichael01
    Participant

Gabrielle

that would be fantastic – I’ll be the first customer!

Cheers!

Kirk

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top