Getting the leg in the air straight

Getting the leg in the air straight2013-04-12T01:04:35+00:00
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello, I take Bikram yoga 5-8 times per week; and love it; it’s the most challenging and rewarding thing I’ve ever done.

My question is; does anyone have any tips to help get the leg in the air straight? I’m getting 5/8 of the way there, have no trouble staying in the pose for the full minute, but cannot get the leg straight. Will the leg straightening come with further shoulder flexibility, back flexibility, or a combination of both?

I have read previous posts and think raising the chin and checking hip alignment will be very helpful. Anything else?

Thank you in advance for any help!

BTW, I loved the Hot Yoga Master Class Manual! Thank you for selling it on amazon.com!

bunni
    Participant

I remember a story an instructor told us once…she could not straighten her leg in the air, but was close. Then at teacher training Bikram gently helped her straighten it, and she has been able to do it on her own since then. Maybe if after class someone could (very gently, no forcing) encourage your leg to straighten, that might help you play with the positioning of hip and back, learn how it feels different ways and start to get some muscle memory? Using a ballet bar to stabilize with the other hand while doing that might also be helpful.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Cara and bunni

Cara, I have a question for you. I really think I know the answer to this, but … can you please confirm exactly where you are holding your leg? At the foot, at the ankle or at the shin?

Bunni, thank you very much for responding! I actually don’t agree with coaxing the leg in this case. I do think it may help for someone who could be 98% there. With only 5/8 there I think there is more work to do. [Oh, there are ways to assist but that assistance would change in the 2 above cases. At Cara’s level, she needs an expert. At 98% just about anyone could assist. So to keep her safe, my aim is to give her something to do that she can be in control of.]

Once I have Cara’s answer then I will continue with my thoughts.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

trulycrabby
    Participant

Hi Cara and bunni

Cara, I have a question for you. I really think I know the answer to this, but … can you please confirm exactly where you are holding your leg? At the foot, at the ankle or at the shin?

Hello! I am holding the leg right at the ankle.

Perhaps the leg gets 6/8 straight; I make sure the hips are both forward with no ballet turnout, mentally focus on the “circle” of the back, arm, and legs and keeping that strong, the chin up, and lifting the leg.

Bunni, thank you; I will practice at the barre.

Forum Owner

Hi Cara

For the next few weeks, only hold at the [strong]foot[/strong]. I promise you this WILL make a difference. No matter what anyone says, just use that foot and leg to press back up into your hand. You are going to find a stretch you haven’t felt in a while and it may even feel like more work. The physiological reflexes that are in place will work to open that position up for you. Oh, and you’ll find new distinctions in alignment and effort that will reward your practice. So hold at the foot say, until May 6. On May 6, use the ankle hold position again.

Are you up for the challenge?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

trulycrabby
    Participant

Hi Cara

For the next few weeks, only hold at the [strong]foot[/strong]. I promise you this WILL make a difference. No matter what anyone says, just use that foot and leg to press back up into your hand. You are going to find a stretch you haven’t felt in a while and it may even feel like more work. The physiological reflexes that are in place will work to open that position up for you. Oh, and you’ll find new distinctions in alignment and effort that will reward your practice. So hold at the foot say, until May 6. On May 6, use the ankle hold position again.

Are you up for the challenge?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Thank you very much, I will hold the foot!

Forum Owner

Super! :cheese: I really want to know how you go.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

trulycrabby
    Participant

Super! :cheese: I really want to know how you go.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

I’ve only had one class since your suggestion, but it seems like holding at the foot allows the back to flex more, and allows more shoulder flexibility. It also helps get the torso lower, which of course opens up the position. I might need to work on back flexibility, too. I can do standing splits, but my 50 year-old back isn’t quite as bendy as it once was. 🙂

Will keep you updated and will post when (not if) the leg is straight! Thanks again!

Hot yoga is so much fun!

Forum Owner

Hi Cara

Great! I look forward to that post.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top