Hair is Falling Out

Hair is Falling Out2013-06-04T02:27:07+00:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I started Hot Yoga last July and around October I started noticing my hair was falling out. I have had numerous tests done and no answer or medical reason for my hair loss, which is now leaving me thinking it is Hot Yoga. It has become very noticeable, I would hate to quit Hot Yoga because I LOVE LOVE it but I love my hair more. Any suggestions? Getting desperate for a solution.

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

Ouch! That is obviously not pleasant!

Gabrielle is travelling in Europe right now on a well-deserved break but is following forum posts and will get to this at some point – please be patient.

It is unlikely that hot yoga is directly responsible for the hair loss – but it is possible that new routines of washing (eg showering after class; showering more often; residual sweat in the hair; using a shampoo more often as a result of more showering) are having an indirect effect.

What do you notice about the hair?

Does it happen immediately after class? On waking? On brushing? Do you see it on the mat? On your pillow? Is there a specific area on the head being affected more than the rest?

If it were me, one I would do immediately is stop using hair products completely – just wash with water only – and see what happens.

I know Gabrielle has some very specific views on hair treatment and will add her input as soon as practical!

Welcome to the forum 😉

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Angela

Robert asked you some great questions. I am wondering if you might give me some more clues! I also don’t think it is the yoga itself. Let’s see what else we can come up with

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

kimmbenjamin
    Participant

I started Hot Yoga last July and around October I started noticing my hair was falling out. I have had numerous tests done and no answer or medical reason for my hair loss, which is now leaving me thinking it is Hot Yoga. It has become very noticeable, I would hate to quit Hot Yoga because I LOVE LOVE it but I love my hair more. Any suggestions? Getting desperate for a solution.

Hair loss can be due to deficiency of nutrients, thyroid or hormonal changes. I suffered hair loss due to diabetes. You can also check for your sugar levels. I am left with very few strands of hair, so using hair extensions to have volume to my hair.

sumitahuja3121988
    Participant

sumitahuja3121988
    Participant

The combination of long hair and frequent hot yoga classes is usually not good, people with long hair, would be well advised not to do hot yoga too frequent, or there will be danger of hair loss. In hot yoga, what happens is that your muscles warm hot and heat causes a lot of sweating which means washing your hair more often and heat also leads your hair frizzy and dry.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top