Left Knee Hurt After Triangle pose

Left Knee Hurt After Triangle pose2013-07-09T03:20:18+00:00
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,
    Last week during triangle pose it felt like my left knee cap was lifted (it felt like I popped it :D) when i bent my right knee before I moved my both arms. It’s stiff and sore up until now especially when I’m climbing a step. I stop practicing and try to recover myself, but after one week, the stiffness won’t go away. I’ve been practicing Bikram Yoga for one and half year, but this is the worst injury I’ve got. Any advice might help. Thanks 🙂

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi May

How is the knee? I am wondering if it was possible that when you bent your knee if it was not tracking toward the foot. Sometimes when one is facing the mirror it’s easy to see the vertical nature of the knee. Even if you are facing a mirrorless wall it’s harder to tell whether the knee is tracking internally (falling in toward the inside). It usually does.

Do you think that is possible? There is a groove actually often referred to as the patellar groove. Misalignment can be attributed to pain.

If you still have that pain and you think it has something to do with the patellar groove then there are exercises you can do to get everything back on track – literally. And extra attention (during healing) to alignment will help.

If you think this is what could have happened to your knee then I have a fix for you for triangle. If you own my book, then there is a picture of how to do that technique FYI … however I can describe it – no problem…. But first things first.
    If you think the problem lies elsewhere then you can tell me more and I can ask other questions!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

mauvi3
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle,
    Thanks for the reply. My left knee is getting better. I can do triangle and fix firm pose without pain anymore (I can even move my knees closer during fix firm pose). But I still struggle when I do tree pose and toe stand pose so that I’m very careful with my left knee when it’s bent during tree pose and avoid doing toe stand pose especially when I have to sit on my left heel and bend my left knee.

I think when I made a big step before doing triangle pose the other day, I accidentally twisted my left knee inwardly right before I bent my right knee. Is there anything I can do to help my knee get better? I miss doing some poses without pain ^^

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi May

Although this sounds just too lame and simple to work, just sitting with toes, heels and hips together (ie heels NOT twisted out) is a wonderful way to get restoration of alignment and strength in the knee. You can do it in class (instead of supta for ex) but simply doing that at home will go a long way to helping. That and ‘locking the knee’. Also keep tracking that knee out correctly over the foot in triangle as it is bending.

If you think it will help (because you are in your own body! 😉 ) avoid tree perhaps but definitely toe for a while.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

mauvi3
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle,

I will pay more attention during triangle when bending my knees and avoid toe stand and tree for awhile. Just like blessing in disguise, I think my injury helps me to learn to be more compassionate towards myself 🙂

Many thanks.

May

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top