Breathing in a locust pose

Breathing in a locust pose2014-01-21T22:11:30+00:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello
    Have a question about breathing in a locust pose lifting both legs up. I’ve been practicing for the last 4 years and things moving alone. When I started I couldn’t breathe in the most of the poses – eagle, all back bends, you name it. Now I just relax and breathing it not an issue anymore, except locust.

Just don’t get it – I lift my both legs – thus engage my abdominal muscles. I am pushing with my arms and that constraints my lungs and limits breathing. Everything gets tensed to the point I am struggle breathing. I am aware about 80-20 technic. Doesn’t seem working – can’t inhale the way I do in other poses.

Any advice?

-N

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Nicolai

I think the approach for you may be to let go of the expectation of what SHOULD be happening beyond key milestone actions. On your inhale push your arms, hands and shoulders into the floor and strengthen your legs. Then on your exhale just do what you can to lift those straight locked legs up.

Breathe as deeply as you need to without thinking about any ridiculous (yep, you read right) formulas. They will only confuse you and will not improve your practice.

Let me know if your shoulders are actually touching the floor. Sometimes people attempt to get their arms as close together as possible. Is that what you have been trying to do? I would like to know as often I need to check on technique details.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 😉

nvf2014
    Participant

Hello Gabrielle

Yes, I am trying to get my arms as close as possible and that kind of makes it awkward. I have broad shoulders and in order to touch my pinky fingers I kind of hunching forward, getting my shoulders close to each other.

I did try to flatten myself moving shoulders down – have much better control, shoulders are firmly on the floor but my arms are not touching (maybe just tips of my pinky fingers) even though my elbows are under my body.

N-

Forum Owner

Hi Nicolai

Just what I suspected! :cheese:

That script screwing up good technique. It is not important to your ‘pinky fingers touching’. What is important is that your arms are underneath and your shoulders are as flattened onto the floor as much as is possible for you. That may necessitate a space between your hands, and it may not.

So your mission … should you choose to accept it … is to bring your arms under your body and with beautifully externally rotated shoulders forming a platform on the floor, notice where your hands are. You may be surprised how close they’ll be, even touching. But the setting up with this different focus will make it much easier AND much more effective.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

nvf2014
    Participant

Thank You Gabrielle.
    Pose feels [strong]HUGE[/strong] better.:lol:
    Thank you.
    -N

Forum Owner

Nicolai :cheese: I am very happy for you! Thanks for reporting your success

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top