Twists out for me…

Twists out for me…2014-02-14T18:15:32+00:00
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

After speaking to my chiropractor yesterday regarding twists (they have always caused problems for me, much pain and my mid spine tends to ‘stick’ in a rotated position after a twisting pose) it seems that I may always have to skip twisting poses. Dr. E says that twisting is the most intense motion for the spine because it compresses the discs. He said it would be hard to tell without an MRI but my body mechanics may just be such that it does not bide well with twisting. I attempted the Half Spinal Twist last week by only doing the leg position and turning just my head a tiny bit. In other words, I left my hands on the floor and did not rotate my mid-spine. I had hoped I might be able to ‘ease’ my way into this pose as I have been able to do with some other postures (non-twisting ones). Still a no-go. My back was a mess the rest of the night and the next day as always happens when I try twisting poses. Even Triangle and Half Moon have to be done VERY carefully and not very deeply.

My question is, will the deletion of twisting postures cause any kind of mechanical imbalance as my body gets stronger in the areas that I am working through the other postures? Are there things I can do to supplement?

THANKS for always humoring my curiosity and questions!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Helen

I don’t know if I have asked you this before, but what is your ‘day job’? Does your day involve a lot of movement? Are you sedentary for long periods?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

LightbyGrace
    Participant

Hi!

I am a Special Education Assistant working with Early Childhood students (3-8 years old)…I do very little sitting at work…Up and down off the floor and from little chairs, walking the halls at school and sometimes physically moving kids around.

H.

Forum Owner

Hi Helen

How’s your core strength? What are you doing to improve it? Is this come up for you before, or currently with your chiropractor?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

LightbyGrace
    Participant

Hi!

My core strength is not fabulous…I have started doing planks to work on it. I also have a therapy ball that I will sit on while at the computer sometimes. The walking workouts I do are also good because there’s a lot of focus on drawing in the core when doing knee lifts and such. A lot of core-strengthening activities like sit ups, crunches and pilates have proven to aggravate my upper back and neck. I loved pilates until it started to mess me up so, like with many other activities I have enjoyed, I had to stop. Twists have always been an issue. I have listed it with the other things that flare me up when talking to all of the docs I have seen regarding my back but no one has ever addressed it specifically.

H.

Forum Owner

Hello Helen

Have I got an exercise for you? I don’t know if you have seen this video but it would definitely help you to go and get yourself a size 3 ball pronto and see this!

Sit ups are not good for you when done the ‘crunch’ way. You found that out the hard way. Let me know how you go with this new exercise.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

LightbyGrace
    Participant

Thanks! I will give it a look! 🙂 Do you think that a stronger core will help with twists?

LightbyGrace
    Participant

Oh, my…LOL! I’m not so sure that I will be able to do this one at this time…The smaller ball in the low back area is concerning as my sacral area is quite testy. 🙁 🙁 Is there another way I can support my low back before lifting my legs?

Welcome to my world of frustration. I honestly do not try to be difficult. :red:

Forum Owner

Hi Helen

Maybe go and take a look at a size 3 ball. They are not that small. I would suggest that making sure it is NOT too hard (in other words, deflated a little) may be the answer for you. In that way you can use the ball as a platform. If it’s too hard your back would flow more around it (as this is the way you can relax your muscles and surrender to it).

I may try this with another prop and report back to you. It will be a few days before I get back to you.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

LightbyGrace
    Participant

Thanks…I will give it a try – my initial reaction was just ‘Ahhhhhhkk!’…LOL.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top