Post tibial tendonistis and yoga

Post tibial tendonistis and yoga2014-03-21T00:26:35+00:00
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,
    I am relatively new to yoga but absolutely loved how it transformed me. I had taken classes on and off as well as practicing a few poses at home for several years. Last year I found a studio and began taking classes 4 or 5 times a week. I was also running, hiking, and waitressing. In september I fractured the fifth metatarsal in my right foot. I tried to adjust some of my favorite posses as well as incorporating an exorcise ball so I could still get some kind of work out. Last month I was finally able to walk again and had started trying out a few more posses. That was when the pain in my left foot started. The Dr. said it was post tibial tedonitis and not to run, walk, or do yoga for 6 to 8 weeks.
    Sorry this is a bit of a story.
    I just feel desperate to be able to feel physically and emotionally well again. The more I research this though the more it seems that it is chronic. I guess what I am wondering is, is there anything I can do to help it heal and will I ever be able to run again or take yoga classes?
    I have been drinking several herbs and turmeric to help with blood flow and reduce the inflammation. Also using and ice pack and arnica several times a day. I wear a brace when I am at work.
    Yesterday I went to an acupuncturist which did help a little.
    If anyone has any thoughts on acupuncture for this sort of injury or just suggestions on what to do and what yoga posses I should/not do I would so appreciate it!!

thank you :)!!!

ami

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Ami

How are you feeling now? It’s been almost 2 weeks since you posted so I thought I would chime in.

Can you please tell me how you worked around your sore right foot when it was healing? How did you avoid pain in that foot?

My guess is that a couple of things have contributed to your tendinits: 1>> your very active lifestyle coupled with 2>> your need to avoid putting weight on your healing right foot (causing an overuse or over-burdening of your left).

VERY often an injury will cause a problem on the other side of the body (or elsewhere remote from the initial injury) because of asymmetrical function or movement that is creating imbalance in the body.

Does any of that resonate for you?

Before I give you some ideas for your practice it would be good to know if you think there is something to work on in my initial response. I can rethink it if needed!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

amychiorino
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle,

Thank you very much for your response!! I definitely agree with you. That was my initial thought when the pain in my left foot began.
    When my right foot was healing from the fracture I basically did a version of the sun salutations (not sure if that is the right phrase) on my knees instead of standing. Then I used an exercise ball to get a core work out. Other than that I sat all day. If I did walk I was in a boot to help the healing process. The only problem is I didn’t go to a doctor right away because I did not realize how bad the injury was. Once I did go to the doctor she told me I could still waitress with the fracture. So it was about a month and 1/2 before I realized the pain was too much to work on. I think that is why it took 5 months to heal and also what may have contributed to the tendonitis in the right foot.
    At the moment my right foot feels great. The tendonitis though hurts a lot today. It is okay on the days I don’t have to work but the more double shifts I have the worse it gets. I just don’t know what to do because the doctor tells me I can work with it if I wear a brace but it’s not getting better and I am afraid it never will if I don’t take some time off. But I just got this job and cannot afford to take any more time off.
    Are there any poses or stretches that could possibly help?
    Thank you so much for your time and any advice!!
    I so appreciate it!!
    ami

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Ami

So doc wants you to wear a brace on the left foot!
    What I believe you need to do is rest your foot when you can. Use ice. Put your feet up for a while. Avoid very strenuous activity. If the brace helps you at work then please wear it because of the type of energy you need to demonstrate in carrying out your job. Then remove it after work when you get a chance. Walk consciously, noting your weight distribution. Note whether you pronate on either foot. Take a look at the video Great Posture From The Ground Up in order to see if there are some more distinctions you can gain about foot use, posture and walking.

The problem with stretching the tendon too much in its inflamed state is that it can exacerbate the condition. The good news about Bikram or hot yoga is that there are a lot of static poses. The heat could also be a negative issue. The sort of poses that may be ‘too stretchy’ while your foot is in an acute phase number quite a few. Here are some of those poses and what you might do to minimise the effects on your left foot but still promote some healing. Over time you’ll return to your normal practice. Be patient.

Of course I have no idea as to the depth of your practice and what your experience and ability is like. Your opinion of your abilities could also differ to mine too. 😉

Hands to Feet: Maybe try palms on calves instead of under feet to minimise the ankle bend.
    Awkward: Probably one to avoid. Descending to part 1 with thighs parallel to floor may put too much pressure on the feet. Part 2. May need to only lift heels an inch or so up. Part 3. Don’t descend.
    Eagle: ‘Sit down only half way’. Probably don’t wrap your legs.
    Standing Head to Knee: Don’t extend the leg.
    Not sure how your tendinitis is affected by pointing your toes so please tell me! Then I can advise on Standing Bow and Stick.
    Paschimottanasana (Intense Stretch): Get a stretch but don’t grab feet and ‘pull’.
    Tree and Toe: What are you able to do at the moment?
    Belly down poses and even Fixed Firm and Tortoise and Rabbit etc: Again, I need to know about toe pointing and sitting on your feet (or next to them).
    Floor Head to Knee and Intense Stretch done correctly would be an issue on inflamed feet. For Head to Knee curl down but don’t pull toes back and push heel away on left side. Just let left foot relax where it will at the end of the leg. Right foot: Knock yourself out and do it properly!
    Twist: You may need to extend ‘bottom’ leg in front of you.

OK, phew. I got most of them in there. Hope that helps for starters

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top