Distracting students

Distracting students2014-07-21T11:56:48+00:00
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know topics like this come up on occasion.

There’s this young woman who comes to my studio though and she is very distracting.

Probably because she stands right in the front and does things like twirl around in opening breathing or will keep banging against the wall if she loses her balance. She’s even left the room a few times and will swig water while we are trying to balance.

It’s not like she’s a newbie either and no one appears to say anything to her.

A few of us were talking about how annoying she was after class yesterday.

I know teachers have different mind sets about this stuff though.

Just curious to what your opinion is?

Would you say something?

I know others have complained about cell phone use and talking in general, especially around the new year when the studio seems to get a lot of newbies.

I also work in the social work field so I don’t pick up on any issues that could be causing her to behave this way, I think she is just more of a selfish kind of person as observed outside of class too ;). Definitely needs to be worked on though whatever the issue 🙂

kfi2000
    Participant

I would certainly talk to the instructor about it. I’m not sure why the instructor is not already addressing this issue….at my studio, people are reminded not to drink water during postures, especially balancing postures. As for the other theatrics, again I think the instructor would be in a good position to talk to this student outside of class.

My studio also does an email newsletter from time to time, with helpful tips and studio news….and then one section that addresses these types of issues. In this case, for example, the newsletter would probably focus on the importance of stillness between postures, why its important not to engage in all these extraneous behaviors, etc… Its framed in a positive and often humorous way (i.e., from a dog’s viewpoint), but gets the message across.

– Kristin

Shawnmvy
    Participant

I have found that distractions in class help me to practice my focus and tolerance which could always use more work.

mzsocialworker1
    Participant

I would certainly talk to the instructor about it. I’m not sure why the instructor is not already addressing this issue….at my studio, people are reminded not to drink water during postures, especially balancing postures. As for the other theatrics, again I think the instructor would be in a good position to talk to this student outside of class.

My studio also does an email newsletter from time to time, with helpful tips and studio news….and then one section that addresses these types of issues. In this case, for example, the newsletter would probably focus on the importance of stillness between postures, why its important not to engage in all these extraneous behaviors, etc… Its framed in a positive and often humorous way (i.e., from a dog’s viewpoint), but gets the message across.

– Kristin

They do this and often discuss in class but I think this person, it’s almost like an attitude that she can do whatever the heck she wants. I’d post more examples but don’t know who is lurking :).

mzsocialworker1
    Participant

I have found that distractions in class help me to practice my focus and tolerance which could always use more work.

I get what you’re saying but it goes beyond simple falling out of postures and such.

It’s almost like they are disregarding they are in yoga and thinking they are in Zumba. 🙂

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello Allison

I am curious about this comment the teachers: “They do this and often discuss in class”

Are you able to tell me how the subject is dealt with in class?
    Is your studio a strict recital studio?

Often the ‘culture’ of focus (or lack thereof) is created by the way the instructors instruct or teach. Would you be able to indicate the level of focus of the entire studio every class?

Here’s your guide: On a scale of 1-10, 10 is where there is absolute stillness. Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) moves their feet, shifts their weight, plays with their hair, adjusts a yoga outfit or a towel, only picks up a water bottle for a quick sip when and only when they need it. A 10 means a student’s eyes are on themselves only. That after a standing pose when you’re practising that in your peripheral vision you detect no ruffle or ANY fidgeting at all around the room. A 10 is a lofty goal and perhaps you can achieve that in your own practice as it is possible. But to get everyone in a room to do that is nigh impossible. A 1 would be somebody who is in the room practising their own thing with absolutely no regard for what the teacher is saying, chugging water in the middle of poses, cursing audibly when they lose balance… you get the picture. What score does the woman in question qualify for? :cheese: What’s your score?

I know this forum is very popular, but I can promise you that despite it being the most visited hot yoga forum in the world, that not everybody comes here. (Boy, I wish they would. Haha) So if you feel comfortable giving examples, that will be perfectly fine. You are a respectful person and I am absolutely positive you will share your information with respect and with high intentions.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

mzsocialworker1
    Participant

I would say there is definitely a mix of teachers.

Some don’t like to call people out much but others will be quick to put a student on the spot.

Same with students and their seriousness. I would say overall the studio can be like a 5 or 6. It’s encouraged to take lots of breaks if needed.

I have actually taken some time off this week due to life and laziness so I haven’t run into this student LOL.

I’ll keep you posted though.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi again Allison

It is actually possible to take a break with minimum distraction and maximum focus. Granted, it may not get you a ’10’ on my artificial scale, but a well-intentioned fidget-free highly-focused break, when taken because of necessity is fine. One could still get a high 8 or 9 score personally or as a studio with that kind of culture. Something to think about. When I am in a room like that, I find it exhilarating. It’s when you feel that beautiful synergy of an excellent group experience.

Looking forward to hearing about your fellow yogini!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top