Epidural and Half Moon Backbend

Epidural and Half Moon Backbend2014-07-29T00:48:45+00:00
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

hello everyone!
    I’m new here. Anyway, has anyone had an epidural during labor and now having back pains coz of it? I want to be more flexible and do the half moon Backbend. But whenever I do it, it hurts my lower back. I can’t even go to forward fold without readjusting myself.

Any suggestions to make this pose easier? Should I modify anything? Thanks in advance!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello Rea

I believe it is very normal to experience a loss in core strength after an epidural (because that’s part of what I think may be the problem here).

There is a great exercise you can do to recover core strength and flexibility that I love. Watch this free video called Flatten Your Tummy And Strengthen Your Back!

Proper and precise set up for backbend is essential. Have a look at the posts on Half Moon and Backbend in this forum because the answers are definitely in there. Make your set up deliberate. It is not done by just putting the head in position and then going straight back. Recent personal experience in many dialog-driven classes seems to indicate that one is told to drop the head back and immediately take the arms back. If this is what you’re doing, then it would likely be inflaming the situation.

When you say you can’t “forward fold with out readjusting yourself” would you be able to please put some words to that so that I can visualise what you’re doing?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Cuddl3bugg
    Participant

Our instructor actually said to not just bend the arms. That we would need to pull up and use our arms to pull back.
    As to the forward fold, coming back to center from the Backbend then to forward fold. I can’t go all the way down without moving my upper body left to right. I can’t just go straight down because right when I come back to center that’s when my lower back hurts the most

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello Rea

A backbend starts from the back. The arms are incidental. They are a minor tool and very useful. They are not the major active force. The arms actually do not pull the body back because that involves the shoulders in a way that makes the action risky and involves the neck causing tension. Please take a look at the instructions in the ‘backbend’ pose area for some detailed instructions because I would really like for you to feel safe.

If your back is hurting on the way down then bend your legs to find some extra length and take the pressure off your lower back. See if you can activate your core.

There are other things to do but let’s wait until your acute issues are managed and I can then ask you more questions.

What do you do between coming up from the backbend and going into the forward bend? Please, talk me through it.

Have you looked at the video yet? Or more importantly, have you rushed out to buy a number 3 ball? 😉

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top