Ankylosing spondylitis

Ankylosing spondylitis2014-11-02T21:24:29+00:00
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am 47 years old. my rheumatologist believe I may have anklylosing spondylitis. I don’t think she understands the difference between bikram yoga, which is what I enjoy, and other styles of yoga. I have lots of low back pain and buttocks pain. I am concerned that bikram might exasperate my symptoms. I have had to stop paddle surfing due to the pain that it causes and I don’t want to have to stop my yoga too. I’m concerned if I do too much of something that is no longer right for my body, I will have to stop (bikram). Thank you.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello Abby

I remember that there are several threads that already mention similar conditions such as yours. There is a search window above in which I suggest popping in the partial word “spond” or “spondy” or “ankyl” or similar. Medical terminology is often mis-spelled so to get the most likely response just use a part of the word that you are sure you’ll get a good array of responses for.

Having said that, there are definitely parts of the recital-led class that would exacerbate any lower back pain or buttock pain due to a neglect of certain body reflexes and body function during class. You’ll find technical tips and advice all over this forum and of course in my other resources.

In conjunction with your forum travels I strongly suggest you take a look at the crucially important blog post called “Opening up your hamstrings with hot yoga”.

I will be here to answer any further questions after your little bit of assigned ‘homework’ 😆

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

hef0902
    Participant

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and am 38 years old. I was diagnosed when I was 24.I have been doing yoga for about five years.

I’ll just start off saying that the disease is not a walk in the park and there isn’t a cookie-cutter program that fits anyone. Every doctor I have been to doesn’t really understand yoga. There job is really to manage the pain. Yoga will NOT make you symptom or pain free but it help in not allowing a spine to fuse into one rigid bone. And if I am being honest, that should be our only goal. The pain isn’t going to go away, unless some from of medication is used. I have heard that diet can help but like I said before there isn’t anyone program that works for all people.

I was always pretty inflexible and overweight because I thought Ankylosing Spondylitis should control my life. Eating right, being fit and practicing yoga will allow a person to live a full life. My doctor said to me “you are more flexible than me now and I don’t have arthritis.” I told her about my yoga program and her eyes glazed over and then she said, “Well…just keep doing what you are doing.”

Like with any medical condition, just be your own advocate.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Thank you David

Are you able to tell if the yoga is helping reduce (rather than eliminate) the pain because you are more agile? As an aside, I was just thinking that doing yoga eliminates pain for people who don’t have A.S. because of the utilisation of the body. I thought maybe that the yoga must be able to lessen the symptoms simply by stopping the seizing up of the spine. Does that make sense?

It does seem to be a real shame and possibly a lost opportunity for medical professionals who do not understand that a focus on functional movement and the meditative and calming effects on the body and mind – all possible with yoga – as well as good diet have such a huge holistic effect that can create positive change in so many conditions.

Keep on doing what you’re doing :cheese:

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

hef0902
    Participant

Hello,

I think there is a reduction in the pain. But I do know there is a decrease in the inflammation time period. Typically a flare-up would last at least a week, maybe two, and if I am able to work through the pain in my yoga sessions the pain almost goes away completely. But there are times when the pain is too much and some of the moves are impossible to do and I have to wait till the pain subsides.

Ankylosing Spondylitis is a strange disease because I might have a flare up in the right hip and without warning the left hip will flare up while the right hip pain goes away. The diet is a tough one. For example, peppers are a great anti inflammatory food for most people. But for me they actually cause inflammation. I try to avoid beef because something in it causes flareups, but all other meat is ok. I’ll talk to other AS carriers and beef is fine. It takes a lot of discipline, journaling and trial and error to figure out the diet component.

I do wish doctors would take the time to learn the holistic approaches to diseases like Ankylosing Spondylitis. With that said, I know when I need to schedule an appointment my doctor is scheduled out three months. I’m not sure she even has the time to actually study the holistic benefits. That is why I think it is important for AS patients, and I guess all people, to be their own advocate and not just rely on medical professionals (medical professionals are important element to a person’s health too).

David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top