Pain from elbows to wrists in this position

Pain from elbows to wrists in this position2014-11-19T21:18:10+00:00
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I’m really struggling with this position. Due to the combination of a large-ish chest and narrow hips (I think) I can’t get my arms fully under my body between my hip bones. I am pretty good at the pose – my arm position is not preventing me from pitching my weight forward and I can get both legs up really high. However, it’s really taking it’s toll on my arms as my hips bones are positioned directly over them and push down quite painfully. After 4 months of bikram yoga my forearms and wrists are aching constantly. I’m wondering if it’s one of those aches my body can (and is supposed to) get used to, or whether I could actually be doing myself some damage. Any advice, tips or modifications would be very welcome as I love this posture and I don’t want to start skipping it!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello Ellen

Thank you very much for your question. This is very much a case where practicality has to win out in the end. Thankfully, for you there are most likely some significant technique fixes which I will introduce to you here!

You cannot continue damaging yourself and causing yourself more than an acceptable discomfort. Bruising and constant aching is not creating growth or opening in your body!

First I would like to request you tell me if, when you place your arms under your body, if your shoulders are rolling in towards each other. This is a common error that people make in order to follow the scripted instructions in order to get the arms underneath the body (“with baby fingers touching” and as close together as they can).

If you read around this forum and my other resources, you will see that the most effective way to position the arms in this pose is to externally rotate the shoulders so that the chest is open and an effective ‘platform’ is formed… What that means is that there is a flat area against the floor from shoulder to shoulder through the top part of your chest.

If you have access to my book (Hot Yoga MasterClass), then take a look at page 217. You will see a photo of the difference that external (correct) and internal (incorrect) rotation of the shoulders has on this pose.

If you have very large breasts this pose is always more of a challenge. But with a “large-ish chest” you probably will manage! :cheese:

With shoulders rolling inward you will find that basically the shoulders and arms are the points making floor contact. See if this is relevant to you and make that change.

If changes are made there, then you will find that the arms will find a different position which COULD naturally make it easier for effective forearm placement that is more comfortable AND effective.

Adjust the forearms (which also respond very well to the external rotation instruction) to slot them where they need to go. There is absolutely NO NEED to have the artificial goal of getting those fingers to touch.

What you want is nice flat hands on the floor, shoulders and upper chest on the floor and then, when you lift PRESS your hands and arms into the floor.

So I would like you to experiment with placing your arms comfortably. Try to create the platform by using your shoulders correctly. Bring the arms in as much under the body as you need. Remember to use the arms in the lift.

Oh, I just realised there is one more thing I can suggest. Completely IGNORE the instruction to get your hands as close to your knees as possible. This works against the shoulders and actually brings them inward. It could also be why you have so much pressure on the forearms. It actually shifts the weight backward too and makes the lift more difficult. Ha!!

With the instruction to rotate the shoulders outward, you will find that your arms find a place on the floor. You won’t have to have any attention on where the hands go with respect to your knees. Rather think “shoulders flat and spread outward”. The arms will naturally land closer together! Yep, closer and from there you can assess how they interact with the hips.

That ought to do it. Of course, if you have any more questions or I am not on the right track, please let me know.

I would love to know how you go! Please report back when you can

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top