Single Set / Double Set

Single Set / Double Set2015-01-15T21:28:32+00:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,
    I tried posting this earlier but it didn’t seem to take….apologies if I am repeating myself. I own the single set and double set DVD’s, that I use at home. For various reasons I cannot heat my space but I bring it up to a little above normal room temperature. My question: Is it a problem to flip between the single set and double set sessions based on one’s energy levels and availability of time? I don’t always have time to do the double set and sometimes I’m just too tired but want to get some yoga in. Therefore it always varies from day to day. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Sandra

Sounds to me that you’re doing everything perfectly: Doing what you can in the available time and not making excuses. Yay :cheese:

If you hunt around the forum or talk to other bikram and hot yogis, often the feeling is that if they are not doing double sets than they won’t do anything because they think they have to do the whole lot in 90 minutes or ‘it doesn’t count’.

Well, that’s more likely to be a cultural thing. Doing yoga besides being great exercise, is its own reward. So keep it up.

Do try the double set 60 minute class on DVD Volume 1. It’s enormously satisfying and you get that double dose of poses (which naturally you don’t get in a single set class) which should restore ‘that feeling’ for you.

Regarding the temperature: Are you in a closed space? Which are you using: infrared or convection (or other) heaters? What do you do to increase humidity? Maybe there’s something you can do.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

lotus4
    Participant

Thanks Gabrielle, as always you are so helpful.

RE: the heat, I really don’t have a room that I can dedicate strictly to ‘hot yoga’, and my bathrooms are too small. I just turn up the thermostat for a short while. I guess I could get a heater to put in the room but then I have the humidity issue. I just go into the poses very slowly and don’t go past my limit. I have noticed that after about a week and a half of daily practice that I have progressed and can go a little deeper into the poses than when I first started. Where I live we get incredibly hot summers so I look forward to practicing on my balcony….but then again it’s a dry heat. I just can’t win…

Forum Owner

Hi Sandra

The most crucial thing is that you are doing the yoga. The heat, while a wonderful addition to the practice, is not the most important thing. Otherwise sitting in the heat would be all we have to do. 😉 Look forward to comparing your practice when the hot weather comes along because there will be a difference.

You might also wish to look into infrared heaters in front of which you can practice. They will heat you rather than the entire space. Could be more efficient for you (and your power consumption) too because it seems right now you could be increasing the heating of your entire home.

By the way, the next most important thing (besides actually doing the yoga) is doing it well with best technique. Depth is kinda irrelevant. It’s a good barometer for how far you’ve progressed – with the following overriding waiver: It’s breathing and alignment that trump depth every single time. So I know you are on the right path. Well done.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

lotus4
    Participant

Thanks a million Gabrielle!!
    I know, I’m being silly and wasteful by heating my whole home…..I will look into infrared heaters. I guess the smallest one would work just fine. All the best to you!

Forum Owner

Hi Sandra

Some people have given feedback on their heaters in the sections called “Practising at Home or Traveling” and “The Heat”.

Other places you check reviews is always to consult Amazon or Dr Google!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top