Back bend

Back bend2015-02-08T19:11:57+00:00
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I feel like this is one of the poses I continue to have a lot of trouble with.

I know it’s all in my head but I don’t trust myself with it.

Any tips to walk me through going back further?

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Allison

Would you be willing to give me more information? What are you feeling and when? Also, I know this is likely to be a certain issue, but I like you to be clear on what is going on. I also am sure it’s been answered at least on several occasions on the forum. If my suspicions are correct, then in the meantime, I will hunt out what I recall to have the best step by step instructions and get the link for you.

Things to look out for are where you’re feeling tension (neck, upper back, shoulders, arms), what your breathing is like, at what point are you bringing yourself out of the pose. Where you are looking. Where your arms are positioned in relation to your head. Stuff like that!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

mzsocialworker1
    Participant

I feel like I put my head back and my arms straight up but I become stiff and scared to go any further……feel totally wobbly on my feet. Arms don’t seem to want to move past my head either.

Forum Owner

Hello Allison,
    This is super easy to fix. When you come up from your left hand side Half Moon:

>> Bend your arms a little. This will soften your neck. The arms only need bend enough to feel your shoulders move down and your neck lengthen. You can feel how everything is free there. Waiver: If you have a sore neck then you will need to tell me so we can work on that because other contingencies apply.
    >> Keep your arms bent while you drop your backwards.
    >> Look backward. The tendency for people who have issues with this pose is to look at the ceiling or the hands, or worst of all – and because of fear – forward. This strains the neck.
    >> When your head is safely back and you are looking in the right direction (!) first make sure legs are locked, then push the hips forward, then inhale and lengthen your torso and lengthen the arms (still with head back).
    >> Then go into your backbend as you exhale.

While you’re going into and while you’re in the pose you will visualise tracing that line backward across the ceiling with your fingers. Where many get caught is by following the fingers with their eyes. Just imagine those fingers tracing that arc as you look backward (not up).

When you’ve managed to go back as far as you can and you feel any resistance in the neck, simply stop, bend the arms for a moment as you feel your neck relax again, lengthen the arms gently and continue on your path.

Come back and tell the world you did it! Hehehe :cheese:

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

mzsocialworker1
    Participant

Have had a busy week and haven’t been back to the studio but will defintiely try out this weekend! Thanks for the tips!

mzsocialworker1
    Participant

Tried last night and felt it was slightly better but still overall felt shaky on my feet and didn’t trust myself leaning all the way back.

Forum Owner

Well done for trying, Allison. If you’re still hesitant then your results will reflect that – naturally. So do it in ‘baby steps’.

Try first to soften the arms and drop the head back and then just hang out there for a little while (maybe even a few classes). Get comfortable. Just try gently pushing the hips forward a touch.

Come back and tell me how you go

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top