My Flight Across the Country

My Flight Across the Country2015-02-10T19:10:53+00:00
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Everyone – I am new to this forum and just wanted to share some thoughts I jotted down after a long flight yesterday. I flew from California back home to Pennsylvania and had the opportunity to sit next to a nice guy. We struck up a conversation and when he found out that I was 10 years older than him (I am 51) he couldn’t believe it – he made me show him my ID to prove it. He then asked me to share how I was able to keep myself looking so young and that started a long conversation which I plan to summarize in this rather lengthy post (I apologize for this in advance).

About four years ago I was in the worst shape of my life and really hated myself – pushing 200 pounds with a beer gut to compete with the best of them. My back and my knees were causing so much pain that I was having trouble sleeping without taking a ton of medication. My life was full of stress and I tended to turn to alcohol for comfort. Three and a half years ago I went on a diet and was able to drop 30 pounds (yeah). I was looking for a way to help keep the weight off when a Groupon for a Bikram yoga studio popped up on my screen and I thought what the hell. In my mind, I was going to take a couple classes and then I can tell everyone it wasn’t for me. So what has happened to me in the past 42 months since I stepped into that hot room:

•I now do Bikram hot yoga classes 5 to 6 times per week – prefer the 6 am class – which I started in July 2011 (I have completed 4 – 100 day challenges and have done as many as 6 classes in one day doing my own personal yoga marathon)
    •I have reduced my intake of alcohol dramatically mainly because I hate the way it makes me feel in the morning (very light social drinker on weekends – never drink hard liquor any more) – also cut out all sugar drinks and any diet drink with Aspartame (swear by cold brewed iced tea bags – greatest invention in modern years)
    •Go to bed every night by 11 p.m. (average 6.5 hours of sleep per night)
    •Walk to and from work (average 4 miles per day) – Finn Comfort Shoes are the best on the market (I swear by them)
    •Compete annually as a race walker in a half marathon each May (completed for the past three years – train by only watching TV if I am on a treadmill – try it – it works!)
    •Completed the 100 push-up challenge program on my 49th birthday – have maintained since (currently doing 100 push-ups three times a week)
    •Completed the 200 sit-up challenge program on my 49th birthday – have maintained since (currently doing 300 sit ups three times a week)
    •Held a 5 minute 10 second elbow plank on my 51st birthday – have maintained since (currently holding consistently for 8 minutes three times a week – goal is to get to 10 minutes by 52nd birthday)
    •Just started a 30 pull up challenge which I hope to complete by this summer on my 52nd birthday
    •Start off each morning with a fiber bar and a kale shake (not a coffee drinker) – (almond milk, kale, blueberries, protein powder, chia seeds, and vanilla extract if you want to know)
    •Try to be a vegetarian Monday to Friday – not super strict on this (just making a conscientious effort to reduce meat and think about what I put in my mouth is what counts most here)
    •Use a facial scrub during every shower and hand lotion all winter long
    •Travel to a different foreign country every year (currently at 15) – have practiced Bikram all over the US and the world – one of the best things about this yoga
    •Make a public and concerted effort to physically play with my kids as much as possible (I try to do this a minimum of 1 hour each day when not working)
    •Complete a personal to-do list every month and get things done on it – this is really helpful in minimizing all the stuff that can easily take over your life

Needless to say my life has changed tremendously for the better as a result of that first step into the yoga hot room. While I tend to take things to the extreme at times, I do appreciate all that the yoga has given me and look forward to practicing for many more years and decades to come.

Hope to sit next to you on my next flight so I can bore/motivate you with my love for this yoga! Just Jim

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Jim

Wow! Thank you for the fantastic story. It’s amazing that a single moment in your life, was such a defining one.

Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

PS: Welcome to the forum!

kfi2000
    Participant

What a great story! Can we assume all your back and knee pain are gone? I would guess so!

I’d also like to hear more about your first couple of classes….you went there thinking it would be short term. Was it love at first back bend? Or like many, did you initially hate it then come to love how you felt?

Thanks for the story and all the other personal choices you have made along the way!

-Kristin

JustJim
    Participant

Hi Kristin – Glad you like the post. In regards to my back, all is well (I haven’t seen a chiropractor in years) – knees are a different story however. I had an ACL repair 25 years ago that has been causing a great deal of pain over the years – My Ortho said many years ago that a total knee replacement is in my future…I just tend to believe that doing the yoga has kept those remarks from becoming a reality. It seems like several people I know are already planning their replacement which scares the living hell out of me. So far, I have had a total of 5 knee procedures (3 on R and 2 on L) so the postures sitting on the knees are somewhat difficult – two of the procedures have been done in the last 18 months. Oh the joys of being a former competitive long distance runner.

It is hard to remember back to the first couple classes other than to say that my preconceived notion was that yoga (the word was just generic to me back then) was not a very demanding workout and that I would be wasting my time meditating and humming rather than getting any physical benefit out of the series…that opinion obviously changed after the first class.

Would love to hear some others share their stories here. Jim

mzsocialworker1
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your story.
    I love the practice too and find my biggest problem is just getting myself to the studio.
    I always talk about hot yoga and think people must feel I’m part of a cult LOL.
    It’s hard to convince people to come out of their comfort zone and try let alone stick with the practice after the first class….
    But that means more space for me ;).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top