Inguinal Hernia

Inguinal Hernia2015-03-19T23:15:27+00:00
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well, I have been practising hot yoga for some time and going to the gym as well. Recently have developed a small inguinal hernia on the left side only. Not sure where it came from, possibly a combination, anyway, when I am careful with yoga, meaning focusing on set up and coming out slowly all is well, however would like to focus on a couple of exercises to minimise/get rid of the hernia, hopefully without surgery. I understand the Indians and Chinese in particluar don’t usually operate for these things, so am taking some chinese herbal as well to assist.

I am not sure which exercises to avoid it gettin worse, fixed firm is not one of my best, I kind of think I agravate it trying too hard with this one as yet my hips do not touch the floor so I can’t go all the way down. Anyone have any ideas at all? I am over 50, been doing the yoga for over 2 years, gym for a long time.

Thanks. Paul

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello Paul

Generally the poses that would exacerbate or inflame an inguinal hernia are the ones where you bring your body down from upright, with a straight back. These poses include Pada Hastasana, Standing Separate Leg Intense Stretch and also Half Tortoise.

Do you have a sense of other poses that bother you too?

The solution for poses similar to the above 3:

Avoid entry with a flat back. Mimic the entry to Standing Sep Leg Head to Knee. In other words, tuck the chin first, and roll the back, descend with your head close in, then place the hands on the floor.

Because the technique described is an important protective and restorative modification, I have included it in my manual (with photos too!) “Hot Yoga MasterClass”.

Of course it is necessary to try to maintain your muscular corset! That’s your core and it’s not the same as ‘sucking in your stomach’. I have another question and that is, how do you do your sit-ups? Try to break it down completely for me please.

Let me know what other poses you sense are ‘challenging’ your hernia.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

adrianzulu
    Participant

Gabrielle,

thank you for your quick response! I have modified the sit up, slowed it right down and engage stomach, correct breathing and sit up more deliberately, making sure I go forward correctly, grab the ankles exhale, bringing the elbows toward the floor near the legs. I think it is a big improvement from the more slap dash approach I previously used.
    I don’t think there is anything else that I am aware of, possibly the spine twisting, it isn’t one of my best postures, because I am quite inflexible I can’t grab my knee, but did notice some pain when turning over the right shoulder, so took it more easy on the other side. With half tortise, coming up I have modified it, pulling the shoulders back closer to the body and then coming up, I think that could possibly strain the area.

Thank you Gabrielle. Paul

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Paul

For a little more clarification try this quick quiz! :cheese:

For a sit-up do you link your thumbs? Are you trying to do the ‘double jerk’ of the script? Are you inhaling as you sit up and then double exhaling as you bring your hands to your feet?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Jbigler
    Participant

Hi Paul & Gabrielle —

Yes, I’ve been following this, wishing you, Paul, great success!

John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top