Ayurvedic practices

Ayurvedic practices2008-03-06T15:55:23+00:00
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Posted by Julie

Over the last few months, I have become interested in Ayurvedic nutrition and general health practices. Being a pitta type, my tendency can be to over-heat, however I’m usually fine in the hot room. I generally avoid foods that are heating and I try to remain balanced in all areas of my life. My naturopath suggested that I oil myself before yoga sessions. I started doing this a few months ago and have gained tremendously from the practice. I use macadamia oil and rub it all over my body before class. The idea is that it assists in drawing toxins from the body with the sweat. I also find it cooling; an important benefit for us pitta types. Some people wonder whether it affects my grip, but I haven’t found that a problem. Has anyone else tried this?

Restored Content
    Participant

Posted by maupie

how interesting, was there a reason for the type of oil? could one use sesame, almond or canola? i suppose leaving the hands and feet free of oil would prevent slipping. and i always tell bikram yogis to practice the grip and they’lL get stronger Than their own sweat (OR ANY MOISTURISER THEY MAY BE USING.)

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello

I am interested in knowing what else is blended in your macadamia oil or whether it was just used on its own! Great to find something that works and doesn’t compromise your practice…

Gabrielle 🙂

Restored Content
    Participant

Posted by Julie

I use organic, cold-pressed macadamia oil. Not blended with anything. Macadamia is a cooling oil and so is coconut oil. Coconut oil’s great to use. Not sure about almond oil but I’d never put canola oil on my skin or in my body because it’s been genetically engineered.

Restored Content
    Participant

Posted by Jared

Interesting to rub oil on the skin. Doesn’t that cause the skin not to breath? Never tried it although I am more vatta so don’t have the same issue as a pitta.

Restored Content
    Participant

Posted by Julie

I’ve certainly had no problem with my skin since starting the oiling. Quite the opposite. My skin feels much more supple and moisturised that ever before. By the end a hot yoga class, my skin feels more sweaty than oily. And it makes “eagle” posture a breeze!

Restored Content
    Participant

Julie – 23 January 2008 03:19 PM

I use macadamia oil and rub it all over my body before class. The idea is that it assists in drawing toxins from the body with the sweat.

Sounds like a variant of this:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/tibetan-detox-tip-exercise.html

I haven’t tried it yet myself, primarily because I was concerned how it would impact my performance in class. Your post is encouraging, though!

Signature

“Most people live on the world, not in it.”
    – John Muir

Restored Content
    Participant

Posted by Julie

Thanks for the link to the Care site. I read the discussions about the different heating and cooling properties of oils. Sesame oil is a heating oil that penetrates most deeply of all the oils. It’s good to use on particular spots that need moisture or healing but, for pitta types, not recommended for all over the body. Olive is also a heating oil. Coconut and macadamia are the best for cooling and therefore best for yoga in a hot room. I was interested to read about the use of chickpea or lentil flour as an exfoliant/toxin extractor before showering. I’ll try that. There was also some discussion about drains clogging up with oil and flour. Best to tip vinegar mixed with bi-carb soda down the drains every week or two.

Restored Content
    Participant

Posted by Jared

I will pass this information onto my wife and see what she experiences with it. I wouldn’t mind the supple skin save for my hands as I need the rough hands for Kettlebelling.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top