doubles

doubles2008-11-14T04:26:33+00:00
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey

How do you guys (or girls ;)) feel about doubles? Recently i’ve been doing more doubles and I find it so challenging yet so satisfying because I can go deeper! I’m much more focused as well … I find my practice has been better since I started doing doubles. Just wanted to know your opinion 🙂

Namaste!

fraseram
    Participant

I LOVE the doubles! it’s like going into the second set of a pose but your whole class is like that. loose open and in in the yoga connection zone from the get go. I have my most amazing breakthroughs during a double or an early class the day after a double.
    when I’m ready (close but not yet) my next yoga challenge for myself is back to back double where you don’t leave the room. you lye in corpse pose for 15-20 min stand up and do it all over again. I’ve recently heard of people doing this but have yet to brave it myself. My practice has taught me so much about myself if you want to hear irony, one-two months ago I would have done it! now I can sit back and from a diff. place check in w/ myself, what I’m ready for, and when.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Annie

What a luxury! Being able to do back-to-back doubles is a real treat. One of the amazing things I have found is that my breath is so deep and rhythmic when I get up to do my next class. It is an incredible experience. There is no adjustment to be made (to your consciousness, to your presence) – you feel in the flow and oh-so-focused.

Amy just posted while I am writing this. I made an assumption in my answer. If what you meant by doubles is 2 in the one day then I feel great doing that too. And, frankly there is much more possibility of that than the back-2-backs I used to do before having a family. The more often you go the deeper the benefits. And yes, getting physically deeper into the pose itself is a great yardstick for ‘pose progress’.

Amy, go ahead, and try it. I say it only because it seems to be something you are curious about and maybe over intellectualizing (hence the use of the word ‘brave’ 😉 ). While the experience is in the great unknown for you, you can only guess whether you are ready. The worst thing that could happen? You can’t do it and you don’t finish the class. So what? I like to set up the possibility of doing that kind of thing by having the time free. Then at the end of class I just go with the flow. Try not to think about it. Just get up and solve the mystery! You will either go and have a shower or start Pranayama. No pressure. :cheese:

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

fraseram
    Participant

Thank you for your advice and encouragement. Some times (OK maybe a little more ;-P ) I can think too much!!!!!
    there is a balance between action w/o thought (naive and risky) and over thinking (cautious and ……procrastination)
    when my hubby comes home (he works two weeks out of town and then comes home for two weeks) to watch the baby I will leave it open to take the plunge!!!

jtcb
    Participant

I am also considering doing double, but not back to back class. I mean class say at 10am and another at 2pm or later. Due to work schedule and other commitment, I can only practice on Saturdays or Stat holiday, maybe Sundays. If I do doubles and maybe one on Sunday, that means I am practicing three times a week. Do you think this is ideal or not and doable? Or is it better to do every other day – mon, wed and fri? But it is just impossible due to schedule.

Now how do I prepare for doubles (morning and afternoon class). Do I need to drink double amount of water if I do back to back class. What about morning, break and then afternoon class? Can I eat between class?

I have asked the staff and they don’t recommand doing it unless I am ready for it.

bonmar
    Participant

Amy – speaking of watching the baby – a girl in class the other night had her baby monitor hooked up on her Blackberry, she saw the baby start to stir/wake up and got up and left class. (Now, we’re all assuming of course that the hubby or someone else was in the house with said baby)

That’s what the instructor told me after class, anyway. That’s new technology, hey? I remember the old plastic ones that you could just hear noises through, and I thought that was pretty cool!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Jeffrey

Regarding 2 classes in one day. I was going to give you some links to other past discussions but I think you have probably found some already! 😉 In case you haven’t done so, here are some word suggestions you could use in those searches: “back to back” or “double”.

You may already have found my comments as well. When it comes to 2 on one day I imagine that you are the only one who can tell you are ready to do your second class.

Do your first class with the simple understanding that your second class is just a possibility. Know the time you should stop eating in order for you to attempt your second class, drink enough and yes, even take an electrolyte supplement on that day. Organize in your head that at say, 90 minutes before class (and not before) you check in to your body and you see whether you are able to attend. You want to rid your mind of the destabilizing forces of anticipation and procrastination. Just preset the markers in your mind and then forget it.

It’s a body more than a mind thing. You want to check that your body has sufficiently recovered, not listen to internal voices of what you should or shouldn’t be doing. I used to do that for the 8am and 4pm class on Saturdays. At 2:30pm I would see how I felt.

And for what it’s worth, you go to your second class and you should treat it like any other. If you can’t manage something you don’t do it. Simple really! The first time you do it you will wonder what the fuss was about. You have the questions because it is an unknown quantity! Test the waters (with integrity).

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

jtcb
    Participant

Thanks Gabrielle. I also read that coconut water is good.

rawhotyogi
    Participant

I do doubles at least once a week.

Sometimes they are consecutive sometimes it’s the first and last(ish) of the day.

I am ALWAYS fully hydrated. It’s just hell not to be when you’re practicing every day! It’s easier to practice every day than take a break and lose the momentum!

The water I drink during class consists of 1/2 litre of coconut water with the other litre mixed with half an aloe leaf.

I always practice on an empty stomach in the morning so my energy is always directed to my practice instead of faffing about with digesting food – what a waste!

bafferine
    Participant

I did my first double today (back to back, both classes with my favourite teacher). It was awesome although five minutes into the second class I did think “what am I doing!” – my arms felt very weak. But after that it was much better and the second class flew past. My body and mind feel great but I’m exhausted now, will definitely sleep well tonight… I’m looking forward to building up my stamina and being able to do a double every week (I hope) and still get other things done that day!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top