Haven't Been Sleeping Well

Haven't Been Sleeping Well2008-11-14T23:38:57+00:00
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,
    First of all I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoy visiting this site. I am on my 42nd straight day of my practice, and I’m frustrated with a couple of things…I haven’t been sleeping very well…and today I felt so pooped, but I dragged myself out of bed and got myself to the 5:30 am class. My class yesterday went really well, so well that I was very pleased with myself. Today I found that I did each pose as if it were my first class again. I allowed myself to not push myself…and then I beat myself up for not pushing myself. (does this make sense to you?)
    When I reach my 60 day goal…I’m afraid I’m not going to know what to do with myself. That probably sounds pretty dense. I have grown so much since my first class and I am very proud of myself. I suppose my answer to my own fears and doubts are that my practice will never end, there will always be room for improvement and growth. But will I ever stop being so tired?
    I am on a pretty regular schedule. I start getting ready for bed around 7:45-8 pm. From 8:30 on I just toss and turn. Some of the reasoning I think is because my body is so tight, that I am uncomfortable. I have started drinking a herbal tea and a warm shower thinking that this will soothe me to sleep. I don’t drink coffee…HELP
    Sorry for rambling…any comments would be most grateful.
    Natasha

artwednesday
    Participant

The instructors at my studio talk about doing Ardha Kurmasana or Half Tortoise pose as way to combat insomnia and often say that it is the only pose to you should do out of sequence…I’ve never tried it but it’s worth a shot. Best of luck to you and congrats on the 42 days sraight!!!!

silverhuang
    Participant

Hi Natasha,

When I started yoga 3 weeks ago, I noticed that there were days I’d be so pumped up after class that I had problems sleeping as well. I found that it gets better when I take morning classes (but not always).

Another thing to consider maybe is that the yoga is changing your sleep requirements? Everybody needs different amounts of sleep but it’s often so hard to find out what’s our body’s personal preference that we just stick to the general 8 hour rule of thumb. I have found that I do best with 6 to a max of 7 hours, 8 hours makes me feel heavy. So maybe you can experiment with different sleep & wake up times? Maybe you need less now? Just make sure nothing below 6 hours of course. Sticking to a regular sleep schedule is good.

Have you tried meditation before sleeping? Dim lights, mild incense. Or some light massage like foot reflexology on yourself? Warm milk also helps but not too much, just a glass.

One thing though, tossing & turning usually doesn’t help. If you really can’t sleep, get out of bed & out of the bedroom & do something else for a while. Nothing to stimulating of course, read a light easy reading book, listen to music, journal writing etc. Don’t return to the bedroom until you really feel like sleeping.

Learnt most of these tips from this Weight Watchers article: http://www.weightwatchers.com.au/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=31701&sc=3045
    It’s about sleep & weight loss but some of their tips may be helpful.

Hope you get some good rest!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Natasha

Thank you for your comments about the site! :cheese:

WOW, 42 days straight is very inspiring and a great achievement.

I am wondering about your sleep problem (with you!). There could be some changes which will help you change it.

It may take changing your schedule a bit though. If you are willing that is.

Your body has diurnal patterns: a kind of internal clock that generally makes the day time your active time and the night time when you sleep. You may not realize it but your ability to be active and sleep also is partly determined and affected by your body temperature. Your body temperature changes throughout the day. For example did you know that you are more likely to be sleepy when your temperature is down. Or your temperature is down when you are sleepy. So although this next piece of knowledge may not be true in all cases it could make a difference to you.

If you shower at night time before you go to bed, this could actually be waking you up ready for activity rather than slowing you down ready for bed. (My mom actually prefers to shower at night time and she is used to going to sleep afterward but she does READ a lot before sleeping – so that might be relaxing and tiring her).

Did you also know that in the period following intense activity (aka Bikram or hot yoga :cheese:) your temperature drops?

So I am wondering if it is at all possible to try to switch your schedule around. Would it be at all possible for example to go to yoga in the evening and then go home to bed? Have your shower at the studio straight after class and it shouldn’t be enough to reinvigorate you, just simply rinse the sweat off in a 30 second shower.

Save your shower for the morning and use the heat to ‘wake you up’.

You may only need a temporary scheduling change.

OK here is my last idea and this one really does work well for me. It is a little challenging.

When you are tossing and turning: kneel on your bed (or on the floor if you have to) and do a camel pose. Do it for a MINIMUM 2 whole minutes. Try 3 or 4 if you are really super tired. Work the way you would in class and pull on your heels. Or if you go to full camel do that. This has an AMAZING calming effect on your nervous system. Come out extremely carefully and then flop back into bed. This works.

Let me know how you go

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

fraseram
    Participant

Here are some things that work for me…..
    I only try too sleep for about 20 min then I try another position for about 20 min….. then kneel and do half tortoise come out and try again. If I still can’t….. I get up and sit my rocking chair w/ my eyes closed for 15-20 min. go back to bed and try agin…
    I keep doing this and eventually I get sleep!
    If I’m having a really hard time I take out cold pack from the fridge and curl up w/ it under my chin and on my chest. It calms/slows my system and it feels opening on my chest and lungs.

saucyskirt
    Participant

OMG!
    So many great suggestions! Thank you soo much. The 5:30 am class really works well with my schedule, but when I can’t wake up to get to this class I go to the 6:30 pm class. I find that when I finish the evening class I don’t fall asleep for awhile (bummers). I am going to reread all of everyone’s suggestions and try and see what works for me. I really appreciate everyone’s replies, thanks again and have a wonderful week!
    Aloha,
    Natasha

saucyskirt
    Participant

Just wanted to say thank you soo much! Have been sleeping very well. Camel pose is the bomb! I have made some other changes. I make sure to shower as soon as I get home in the evening. Today was my 52nd day! Woo hoo almost done!
    Have a great day,
    Natasha

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Oh wow Natasha

I love to hear your successes. Gotta love that Camel :cheese: it works a treat. We are with you – counting down and celebrating.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

saucyskirt
    Participant

Many, many thanks!

gretchen83
    Participant

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am only on day 12 of a 30 day challenge and am having a few probs sleeping. I started bikram 2 weeks before starting the challenge and LOVE it. I am usually a cardio junkie but find bikram to be just as challenging. Have enjoyed every single class and only one class that I needed to sit out a pose – and that was due to wine and a heavy meal the night before.

Definitely will try the camel pose at night when I am tossing and turning.

Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top