Avoid Injury: Get Free Hot Yoga Guides & Pose Photos. Feel Fantastic Every Class!

Enter your Name & Primary Email Address here:

Arrow enter email

2 of 7
So what do you wear?
Hot Yoga MasterClass Package!

Transform Your Hot Yoga Practice!
Avoid Injuries and Make Breakthroughs!
Brand New Package with Free Shipping Worldwide!
Click Here to read more ...

Posted: 07 May 2008 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-05-07

There is a girl at the studio I go to that wears clothing from Shakti Activewear (http://www.shaktiactivewear.com/index.php?main_page=index), and it looks GORGEOUS on her. It’s a little too expensive for me though (as a graduate student!)

Posted: 08 May 2008 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-04-23

hi
i found the following website
http://shaktishantiyogawear.com/
this was by far the best yoga clothing… absorbs the moist very well as well as giving support (ladies will understand) in areas where it is needed where normal gym clothes falls short.

Posted: 10 June 2008 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Member Photo
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-06-10

Hello,

We just joined the site and are very excited to become involved.  Both myself and my wife are practitioners of Bikram Yoga, and our continual search for clothing or accessories appropriate to the specifics of Hot/Bikram Yoga for oursellves has many times given us bad information or products that are not right for our specialized form.  As a result we have decided to start a site specifically to provide reviews and sales of products that are specific to Hot/Bikram.  This decision was made by continued frustration in Triangle caused by slipping feet not easily gripped by the towel.  Accidentially I tried a mexican style blanket one day, and found that while it had drawbacks in other posed, it did a very good job of providing a grip surface in triangle.  Currently I use a version of it exclusively, and have had good results.  I don’t want to be accused of using the forum for spam, but I fugured I would provide a link to the site because it will be developed specifically based on user reviews of products and accessories within forums like this one.  If you would like to check it out go to http://www.hotyogasupplies.com

The site will be complete with products in the next few weeks.  Please let us know your feedback at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Namaste

Posted: 13 June 2008 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
The Hot Yoga Doctor
Member Photo
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2794
Joined  2008-03-05

Hello Ray

Thank you for your participation. Welcome to our forum.

There are many reasons why you may not have a firm footing in Triangle pose. One of them is strength of your inner thighs. Actually that is usually the biggest reason why feet slip. Another way to ensure that you stay planted in the pose is to drive the heels into the ground. Very often students weight their feet incorrectly especially when the toes of the front foot take most of the weight (and often of the whole body). Unless your towel is a velour style towel (you know that velvety style finish) the towel has less to do with your traction than your technique. Anyway for further discussions on Triangle pose please go to the pose directory and join in there!!! cheese Try
slipping and sliding feet

Namaste
Gabrielle smile

Signature 

The FINAL Hardcover Run-Out SaleOn now! Less than 35 hardcover packages left. smile

www.HotYogaMasterClass.com/Collectors-Edition.htmThe price has never been lower. PLUS Free Shipping, extra bonuses for huge value

For the paperback go here!

Posted: 19 July 2008 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2008-03-07

SHAKTI!!!!!

Sorry, LOL

I love the Shakti side tie shorts.  They are TINY and cool and stay right where you put them.  Love them.  I used to practice in pants.  But I don’t anymore and I have to say that after going over to the smaller (tighter) shorts, I will NEVER go back.  Sometimes I wear a Tonic tank or just a bra style top.  Less is better and I actually feel like I experience the heat better this way.  I think if you are having to “stay warm” in a hot yoga room, the room isn’t warm enough wink

I believe Bikram says, “wear as little as you are comfortable wearing.”  And I know this varies GREATLY for many.  But I do find that when I wear less, I fidget less, I overheat less, and the sweat cools me more efficiently.  Two brands I love..

http://www.shaktiactivewear.com

and

http://www.mytonic.ca

happy sweating!

Posted: 02 November 2008 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-10-24

Oh I hope nobody minds if I’m posting to this older topic?  Well, in my bikram class most women wear those bra tops and the little black yoga shorts, that are more like those “boy short” panties that women wear. I don’t feel I’m fit enough to wear that so in the meantime I’m wearing a tank top and yoga shorts that aren’t as skimpy as the teeny shorts. As for the men, actually I haven’t really noticed what the men are wearing. I will say that on my first day I did wear full length black, lycra work-out pants and baggy t-shirt and fully regreted it later on…

Posted: 02 November 2008 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Webmaster / Hot Yogi
Member Photo
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2008-03-05

Welcome Ilyzium - no, no-one minds about old/new topics here, only that we all talk and share things!

(Thanks for your posts in the other threads too btw).

Yes Gabrielle usually wears those “boy short” things too. I remember my first class in thick shorts & a t-shirt - the t-shirt didn’t stay on long LOL!

We’ve found for men that the hardest thing on their first class is to get them to take off the t-shirt - they “huff & puff” doing their manly-best to work through it. You really just want your clothes to not be any type of distraction. Most people are super-self-conscious in their first 3 or 4 classes - but once you get a good rhythm, other people (and what they wear) does tend to fade out of your awareness.

On the subject of being “overly aware” ... I’ve said this before, but now it’s a little more topical - I once had a super-model practicing behind me. I did “very good poses” that day! (Way too self-conscious for a good yoga practice!)

Now she’s even more famous because she is marrying billionaire Jim Clark: http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/10/netscape-founder-jim-clark-marrying-swimsuit-model

Welcome and great to have you here!

Robert

Signature 

Volume II of the Dreamer Chronicles, ‘The Dream Killer’ out now!

A fast-paced science-fiction thriller for preteens (and adults!), featuring the characters from Sarina’s Nightmare  ... and more wink

Posted: 02 November 2008 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
The Hot Yoga Doctor
Member Photo
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-05

Psssst… Just for the record what Robert is actually referring to as boy shorts on me are actually mid-thigh bike shorts. I actually don’t wear those tiny things at all (used to - but I prefer better coverage with no concerns about modesty checks). I also wear knee length and 3/4 length capris…

And all from Lorna Jane, of course! wink

Namaste
Gabrielle smile

Signature 

The FINAL Hardcover Run-Out SaleOn now! Less than 35 hardcover packages left. smile

www.HotYogaMasterClass.com/Collectors-Edition.htmThe price has never been lower. PLUS Free Shipping, extra bonuses for huge value

Posted: 02 November 2008 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2008-10-24

Thank you Robert, very happy to be here and grateful that I came across this fab site! Yes I did have a chuckle over your story of practicing yoga with the hot model behind you.  I would have been distracted too had I had a male model practicing behind me. wink

Posted: 02 December 2008 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Member Photo
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-12-02

Hello!  Newbie here!

I’m so glad I stumbled upon this website.  I have a question if anyone knows where to find tops for women that have more support in the chest area for us top-heavy girls.  I find that I have to wear a sports bra under my yoga tops that already have built in shelf bras to keep the chest in check and I’d rather not have a bra as another layer I have to wear and get soaking wet during class.

Thanks! grin

Posted: 03 December 2008 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2008-10-24

Good question sma-ll, If I find the answer I’ll be sure to post here. Well, anyway being in that same situation myself, I just wear fitted tank tops over sports bras, and my Shakti yoga shorts.  I know it really is a pain to wear 2 layers on top, but really I don’t know where you could find say, full-control tank tops or something.  Not quite ready to do just the bra thing on top, as my abs are not quite defined the way I want them to be.  I probably could get away with it, but I prefer to wait until I get my “six pack” back. One day hopefully soon…:)

Posted: 03 December 2008 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Member Photo
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-12-02

Thanks Ilyzium!  I just have shelf-bra envy I guess.  Most of the women I see in my classes wear the fitted tops with the built in shelf-bra without having much of a problem.  I’ll be sticking to my sports bra/tank top combination as well, until the much coveted “6-pack” happens, if it ever does, for me as well!  LOL

Posted: 17 March 2009 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2009-03-14

Hi Robert,

I had a guy doing his poses right in front of me. (Couldn’t see his face in the mirror) and he was wearing “budgie smugglers” swim suite type of shorts.

I don’t think that he was worried about his modesty as I could see his bits during some poses.

Others behind him to the right and left got even better view.

What is the best approach in this scenario? I wanted to tell the teacher, but after the class I couldn’t find her anywhere and different teacher (male) was at the desk getting ready for the next class. It might as well be him!

So I said nothing that day, but would like to know what’d be the best approach?

Regards
Lubi

Posted: 21 March 2009 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
The Hot Yoga Doctor
Member Photo
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-05

Hi Lubi

I have seen my fair share of ‘bits’ in the studio. wink

I can tell you that I was once wearing a new yoga suit that, shall we say, compromised me. The teacher noticed and didn’t say anything until after class. I couldn’t believe it.

Now you could say that it shouldn’t matter and what on earth were you doing looking in that direction!!!! But even though that is a valid point of view, there are more things to consider.

I am a great believer of coming out with stuff like this. And directly to the person in a discreet way. I would approach them personally, make sure that no one else is around (or ask for a few moments by themselves) and say, I am not sure if you know this but in many of your yoga poses your shorts are not covering you sufficiently. I would probably also add that you are not the only person to notice.

You may find this person is not concerned in the slightest. That happens. But it can be offensive to others. So if their exposure bothers you and not them then it is important to a) let them know that others notice and b) let them know that you are requesting that they wear shorts that insure coverage.

If your personal approach doesn’t work then talking with the teachers or studio owner is the next step so that a studio policy can be instituted.

It is my opinion that if you have to adjust clothing to make sure you are not flashing your bits, or if you are wearing clothing that does expose you unnecessarily then it really doesn’t have a place in your practice in a public studio. Distractions should always be minimized.

Namaste
Gabrielle smile

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2009 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2009-03-14

Hi Gabrielle,

I had a chat to one of the teachers and she informed the gentleman in the proper manner.
I hope it’s all sorted out. Will let you know next time I see him.

wink
Lubi

2 of 7