So what do you wear?

So what do you wear?2008-03-06T16:18:14+00:00
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Before hot yoga I wore loose fitting clothes, but in the hot yoga environment I have been wearing biking shorts – they work great!

Steve

Zeke
    Participant

Long post – sorry in advance!

I used to wear very loose, below-the-knee gym shorts, and to keep things cool, went commando. Terrible choice – I sweat a lot, it dripped all over the place, and the shorts stuck uncomfortably on my legs. Was uncomfortable as heck. I have no idea if it led to undesired exposure, but I bet it probably could have.

Folks generally dress conservatively where I practice – there definitely has never been a Speedo “banana boat” in the audience. Men generally in baggy, knee-length shorts, with about half going topless. Women mostly in tank tops and knee-length tights. There are however a minority of women in tube tops and tight boy shorts. The instructor (male) wears a knee-length baggy swimsuit. One other male wears tight shorts – that go to his knee. And he keeps his shirt on.

I’ve started wearing a pair of triathlon shorts. Mid-thigh-length, obviously skin-tight; I’m definitely wearing the most revealing male outfit, but nobody seems to mind (or at least nothing is said). The “package” is not visible in defined detail, but it is skin-tight around there, so the curious would at least see an amorphous bulge.

But the shorts are not ideal. While I really like the material, and the skin-tight fit, the waist is high given they are cycling shorts, and there is a pad in the back. The high waist leads to “dunlop” effect – I’ve got a small spare tire – and therefore the waistband doubles over uncomfortably. The pad becomes like a wet “diaper”, and just looks stupid. I won’t wear my real biking shorts, but that’s because I am a real cyclist, and my biking shorts have very significant padding which would feel like an even bigger wet diaper. My tri shorts also extend mid-thigh and while more in line with everyone else, I hate it because it feels constricting.

Ideally, I’d prefer wearing a “banana boat” – since I sweat so much, and I would appreciate the full freedom of movement. I can tell that would not be appreciated by my fellow practitioners. At all. I’m in Northern California, and while San Francisco itself has several nude yoga studios, I’m in Silicon Valley, which is far more conservative.

I’m not keen on wearing a true swimsuit – material is too thin (“definition” issues), and I hate drawstrings – uncomfortable. Some of the other shorts I’ve seen online have stitching that almost seems to say, “look here, at my pouch!” – and I am not into “advertising” or attention. Just comfort.

I’ll look at the ideas mentioned here already – definitely appreciate any other input folks have. Ideal is: boxer style (higher than mid-thigh, but not above the “package” area), skin tight, not too thin, elastic instead of drawstring, and doesn’t draw attention to your naughty bits.

I’m probably seeking something that does not exist…I guess I am too demanding!

getfitfast
    Participant

Zeke..know where you are coming from..

I have just taken my first three classes. 1st of..running shorts with t-shirt, second two..running shorts. no t-shirt. I did take a bit of courage in a room full of mainly women to take off the t-shirt.

But just observing the other blokes..mainly in running shorts, swim jammers … but there is one guy who wears swim trunk..square cut trunks, with a pouch for bits…humm..is he trying to get attention?

Zeke..may be replace the bike shorts with tri shorts..which have less padding…I may move to using tri shorts..but running shorts seem to work fine and modist..

Very interesting thread…just shows how self concious we all are….

heavencity
    Participant

I have been enjoying wearing yoga clothes from Tonic. It made out of 87%Supplex and 13%lycra. Moisture-wicking, breath ability,quick dry, shape retention, fabrics are preshrunk and fade resistant.It also has a built-in shelf bra provides light support and coverage.

panaluu
    Participant

My DS is a swimmer and when he goes he wears his swim suit. The ones he gets have very little stretch because lycra gets eaten by pool chemicals. He puts his bits between his legs (ahem). The trick to a speedo type suit is to get it really small. TMI but hey, I know the tricks from the swim world. Most guys wear ‘speedp’s way way way too big.

Rastas
    Participant

When I started Bikram I wore some Speedo swim shorts that I had. Though modest, it didn’t take long to want to not have to adjust the shorts or roll them up a little bit for doing some poses. So after a bit of reading and asking around, I’ve ended up with Shakti Brazilian trunks, a pair Speedo Endurance swimming trunks and a pair of Rival swimming trunks. I was told that Rival are a Rebel Sports brand here in Australia. The Shakti and Rival are great. The Rival have elastic around the legs, so I feel very comfortable in those, as I hope therefore do the people behind me :bug:. The Shakti don’t have elastic around the legs, so may have issues of stretching a little over time.

I think I read in here for fellas to do the Standing Separate Leg Intense Stretch Pose when trying on trunks, to see if there are any issues. The Speedo Endurance survived this test. But later on in general discussion a fella also told me he also does a Standing Bow test. Unfortunately the Speedo Endurance didn’t quite meet this test. Pity they were comfortable.

One of the male instructors told me recently about Harajuku trunks. I’ve looked at their website and they seem good. I’d like to try these out, though I would like to fit them before buying online.

Hope this helps other fellas.

al_tinker
    Participant

I say you wear fabric that is moisture wicking, fitted, and something you feel comfortable wearing. My yoga studio sells Shakti and Prana clothing (I think). The shorts are really short and many of the tops don’t seem to offer support for a curvier gal. I would be self conscious wearing something so small. Maybe one day when I am in better shape, but right now, I want to be comfortable. My preference would be longer bike shorts in moisture wicking material and a halter tank with of some type in moisture wicking material. I found a store called Lucy that sells yoga clothes. Unfortunately, they only sell the short bicycle shorts that come down about 2 inches or so from your inner thigh area. Those are too short for my liking. I did buy a pair, but I don’t feel comfortable wearing them. So, I bought fitted capris like what one would wear to a power yoga class. And, I like them. I also bought some power yoga halter tops that work well for me. I like that they aren’t skin tight so as to show my little extra around the middle. I bought a size medium for that reason instead of a small because when I am looking at myself in the mirror, I notice the little extra chub visible above my waist band and my judgement about myself makes me weaker in my poses. I am coming to a place of more self-love as I get better in my practice, but initially starting off (I’m up to class 23 now), I don’t want to be distracted by that. I want to have my strongest thoughts guiding me. The size mediums offer support in the bra area, and I like that the tops have petals or whatever they are called inside so that my nipples don’t stick out. I did buy a different tank top at Lucy that comes down kind of low. I feel like my boobs are about ready to bust out, and that makes me uncomfortable in class. So, my recommendation — especially if you are new, is to wear something you are comfortable in that is moisture wicking. As you come to love yourself more, you can buy something smaller and more suited to the heat. But, I’m not there on the skimpy clothing yet (maybe not ever) as I tend to be more modest and conservative anyway. I also recommend a yogitoes towel (or 5 if you go everday). They grip the mat better and don’t slip, and it has changed my practice because it helps eliminate the distractions that pull me away from concentrating on a pose. This is important for me as a beginner.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Tina

I’m with you. I don’t like or condone skimpy yoga clothing (for a number of important reasons not for this post today). Yeah, go ahead, call me a prude. It’s just my personal preference. I do appreciate what you’re saying about your self-image and growing self-love. Great noticing.

I don’t like tiny shorts. I also like the mid-thigh bike shorts (and capris and 7/8 pants). Let me ask you: Are the halters you have just a loop around the neck? I tried simple halters before and I don’t like the way they pull my neck forward. So if it’s a halter for me it has to have a back strap that pulls the loop down and back away from the neck (behind me!). Does that make sense?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

cassius
    Participant

Another Newbie. Started out with self-underpant soccer shorts, but can’t be doing with having to hike the wet lose bits off my thighs once head to knee starts. Now wear skin tight black Nike lycra running shorts which work just fine. Don’t ride up, feel like I’m not wearing anything and as I go commando, they keep everything (including my modesty) in place. Only tip is, whatever you wear, it has to be black or navy! Wearing white shorts without anything underneath is a mistake you’ll only make once! 😉

Forum Owner

Hi Neil

😆

Oh dear! I have seen similar faux pas. Come to think of it, I ONCE wore a white top. Despite it being lined, it was definitely an exercise in keeping my focus on my practice (rather than revisiting the embarrassment).

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Emmisaa
    Participant

Hello,
    When I started I wore longer yoga pants as I found that it helped my grip. But now when the strength in my hands and being able to use the sweat to go further in the poses I find that Sweaty Betty’s hot yoga short is the best! And then jogging tops which dry super quick from the same brand works amazingly!

Namaste

E

katrina_m
    Participant

I usually wear spandex-like shorts and a thin tank top since it gets so hot! I love yoga wear it’s so comfortable. I’ve even been thinking about starting a business where you can get new yoga apparel and gear every month for 20-30 bucks per month. every month you get a new clothing or accessory..what do you think about that?

Forum Owner

Hi Katrina

What an interesting concept! Keep me posted (perhaps PM me if you decide to go ahead).

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

sabule-bambule
    Participant

All my tops and bottoms are from Luckie spandex, Harajuku swimmwear and from Siluet mode (you can find on http://www.etsy.com). It is most comfortable for me.

sabule-bambule
    Participant

Nice concept, Katrina!

sandrabailey
    Participant

Love the idea where you can get new yoga gear every month! I wear tight but light leggings and a tank top, or occasionally when I havent got the right gear dry light trackie bottoms and a sports bra, anything light and comfy!

Anonymous

Your ideas are really nice Katrina! Liked it… Waiting for more interesting ideas 😉

labwalker80
    Participant

Ahh.. what to wear!

When I first started practicing, I wore clothing specially designed for yoga and found it quite constricting. It took me a long time to find what worked. I now really like practicing in loose cotton pants with elastics around the bottom of the knee, a light sports bra and a simple tank top. I’ve never been more comfortable and it has really enabled me to reach a whole new level in my practice. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you!

Good luck! <3

FaeryWink
    Participant

I love the running shorts made by Under Armor: they have a built-in panty and the outer shorts are weightless and magically stay away from my body rather than getting plastered even when very wet. Since I’m 5’1″ these shorts aren’t as short on my as they are on the models in retail sites or store mannequins. In forward bends, seated head-to-knee, or any of the 26 poses I don’t worry about flashing or adjusting. For tops I use the Aerie Fit Racerback. It’s like wearing just the upper part of a tank top. I don’t require as much compression or support as other women but I absolutely have to have cup inserts for modesty. I’m not a fan of “pokies” and in a hot room when a teacher cracks a door or turns on the ceiling fans then all it takes is a breeze on wet skin and clothes. The Aerie Fit Racerback cup inserts are really minimal–smaller than any inserts I’ve seen in any brand, and believe me I’ve looked–and don’t cause heat or retain sweat. I used to wear tank tops in hot yoga, but now I bare the middle because it helps me to follow cues for sucking in the stomach or expanding the rib cage.

krisfit73
    Participant

I wear cotton shorts or underarmor shorts and a sports bra/cami

Tensolator
    Participant

I wear running shorts that have built in briefs. A t-shirt, which normally comes off when I start to heat up. Fortunately I do my sessions alone, so I can take it off. I do where Gaiam gloves, which I kind of dig, but not the booties since I am adverse to my feet getting too hot. (I wear Altra vented running shoes in the winter and flops in the summer. It was -20 a few weeks back and I still had the Altras on.)

So, that is what I wear.

antepathy
    Participant

I wear snug fitting capris. And the big thing for me was (and I can’t believe I’m admitting this) no undies underneath. (Panty lines? Are they a thing anyone else worries about?) On top when I’m feeling confident, just a sportsbra, but most days those tanks that have built in shelf bras. I avoid the ones with ‘cups’, because I figure that’s going to be a weird sweat pattern. Since it’s yoga, you don’t need the same level of support as if you were running, so the shelf bra is more than adequate.

I should note that I sweat like a BEAST, like unholy amounts of sweat, and so clothes that aren’t snug fitting really start bugging me during practice because they get clingy and draggy and gross.

krisfit73
    Participant

Dryfit tank top and tight capris/pants. I hate wearing shorts because my arms slip on my legs when I go into certain positions.

Enderman123
    Participant

I wear a sports bra, yoga pants and flip flops. I find wearing a sports bra alone allows more movement.

tashacricket
    Participant

As a new Bikram practitioner, I started with running shorts with built in undies and a tank. The loose shorts got clingy when wet and really distracted me. I then moved to my wardrobe of beautiful yoga capris and tanks that I built up over several years of barre classes. While somewhat sweat wicking, the thicker lycra blends still felt too hot. This is not the best time for me to invest, so I then moved to inexpensive Champion brand bike shorts which have been good, except that I find being new, capri type pants give me a better grip in some poses. I bought two capri pants sold at my studio- Onzie brand. The black pair has been the best so far- very cool but with the length I wanted. I am not ready to move to the half tops and don’t think I’d ever do the short shorts due to my body type. I think I’d be adjusting too much. However, what really inspired me to post, was the second Onzie capris I bought are black with white skulls on them. Aaaand… as it turns out, even though they are lined, the skulls turn absolutely transparent when wet. I should have seen that coming, but since they are designed for hot yoga and sold from my studio I figured they’d be fine. Fine if you want everyone to see everything everywhere! I don’t really notice what others in class are wearing, and am too focused on my own practice to see anyone else’s wardrobe malfunction. I am crossing my fingers most didn’t notice me in a state of appearing somewhat pantless 😛 Lesson learned, and as others have posted- NO WHITE!

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top