Results by practicing at home? Please share

Results by practicing at home? Please share2009-02-07T01:47:21+00:00
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

I practiced Bikram yoga for a few months have stopped going to the studio.
    One thing that I have not seen in the forums is real and more specific results from practicing Hot Yoga at home.

It would be great and beneficial to hear the journey and some results from those that do practice at home.

I recently received the Master DVD and the book and have canceled my gym membership in hopes to replace classes with Hot Yoga at home.

Please advice. 🙂
    Have a great weekend.

Cristina

fraseram
    Participant

I too had to change my practice due to my new daughter!! I can’t (obviously) get to the studio as much as before.
    I wanted to assure you ….. I LOVE my home practice:)
    I have gotten MANY benefits and though the practice is different it is wonderful. The focus and quiet is incredible and I have seen major improvements in many aspects. I only caution you to do your research and practice the form and feeling in the poses to do them CORRECTLY. It is a little easier to get injured w/o the visual instruction. If you are advanced enough in you practice though to feel comfortable you can see so much!!!! I still do go to the studio about once a week or week and half.
    GOOD LUCK

droma
    Participant

I practiced in a studio for 1 1/2 years and have brought that practice in-home since January. I LOVE IT!! The MasterClass allows me to vary the session when I don’t have time or feel up to a 90 minute practice. I love the flexibility of doing the yoga at a time of day of my own choosing. Gabrielle’s instructions are so detailed as presented in the MasterClass Manual that I have been able to make alterations in form and greatly improve my practice. I was stuck for about a 7 month period and was unable to get beyond cramping issues in my feet and legs even with special attention from teachers, attending workshops and private lessons. The MasterClass, Gabrielle’s coaching seminars and the pose clinics have reenergized my practice, resolved my issues with form and I feel stronger in my practice in 30 days than I did when I left the studio. I’m hooked once again and am extremely grateful because I love the way I feel in body, mind and spirit when I am actively practicing. I’m seeing an increase in strength, flexibility, improved sleep and greater toning in my mid section. Hope this helps. . .

bcfol440
    Participant

I, too, have had a hard time finding info. on my home practice. This morning, I got out my 1970’s Bikram book from the library, and my small space heater.
    Cranked that sucker way up, let the room heat for about 15 minutes (small guest room), stuck towels under the closet door and entry door, too.
    I had a nice, warm practice this morning.
    Definitely NOT as hot as class. But totally warm and relaxing. I have a SMALL space (the room also had a bed, dresser, TV, etc).

One thing I found was that I really pushed myself to advance poses- head to knee for example. I didn’t care about anyone looking at me or getting corrected. I had to keep looking at my book which was annoying but SOO helpful.
    Worked at the poses for about an hour and 15.

If I had the sequence memorized, it would be so much better.
    Good luck!

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

Hi Cristina,

I practice regularly at home (to various CDs collected over the years, as well as Gabrielle’s own recorded classes).

It is a specialized setup we use – with a dedicated space, permanent heaters, mirrors – the whole thing – but you know what? We actually LOOKED for a house that had room to do this in when we were buying our current home!

So we are a little fanatical …

But to the benefits:

Given that you can get a decent level of heat, I have not seen anything different to the standard benefits from attending a studio-based class – ie you’ll still get all of those for sure.

There are other benefits that I really like:

1. I don’t spend as much time traveling!
    2. I can choose classes or even shorten / lengthen my practice
    3. I only have myself to blame for any hygiene issues(!)
    4. I like the much more “internal” focus (and as bcfol440 says, there is much more of an opportunity for personalization)
    5. You can take a silent class (yes, memorize the series!) – which will be much faster.
    6. You can take an advanced style class – ie no savasanas, just flow from one pose to the next
    7. It builds a lot of discipline – compared to having an “appointment” with a scheduled calls, practicing at home requires a foundational willpower and the discipline of good time management, which I personally enjoy.

Anyway, I don’t know if that is exactly what you were looking for, but I hope it helps!

PS. For bcfol440 and anyone else reading this, there is a neat – and free – pose-flow and timings guide here (also downloadable as a pdf) that could help you not have to refer to the book as often.

Namaste

Robert

carolhere
    Participant

Thank you everyone for the tips in practicing hot yoga at home. I do not have a specific/designated place to practice, but I will probably do it in my living room where the dvd player is.

I have not practiced Bikram ever since July 08, I hope it’ll be an easy transition from mind exercise to Bikram.

In terms of weight loss, I try not to focus on the number, but I do need to lose some weight that has been sticking around longer than usual. Has practicing at home given you a weight loss result as practicing at a studio has?

I am relying fully on the Master class… I had a not so pleasant skin reaction when I practiced at a studio, in which I am still working on fixing. My skin has never gotten back to how it used to be before I practiced Bikram.

Any tips comments/suggestions are welcomed! 🙂
    (except about why my skin got worse… I have researched extensively and many people told me it was either the studio, or not washing up right after practice. Both are not it, it was something more than the outer skin, I believe something happened internally).

Stefan
    Participant

5. You can take a silent class (yes, memorize the series!) – which will be much faster.

It only takes me 10 minutes faster… Do you hold poses shorter time?

6. You can take an advanced style class – ie no savasanas, just flow from one pose to the next

Can one really do that? I have heard Bikram say the savanasas is very, very important.

…anyone else reading this, there is a neat – and free – pose-flow and timings guide here (also downloadable as a pdf) that could help you not have to refer to the book as often.

The timings are so strange. In the the Bikram Yoga beginning class book it says 10-20 seconds, but in a class more than 1 minute, and in this guide also 1 minute is certain poses.

Is it OK to do it shorter time? I am a great fan of ayurveda, and according to ayurveda you only work up to discomfort and hold back. If you need to mouth breath, hold back, if you feel pain or discomfort, hold back, if you loose form, hold back.

For examle, the standing head to knee, I have a problem standing 1 minute, and it feels bad for my back problem. Maybe only hold it as long as it is comfortable, even if only 1 sec from start to finish? And aim for holding longer, and it may differ from day to day.

Forum Owner

Hi Stefan – sorry for the large delay in responding.

It only takes me 10 minutes faster… Do you hold poses shorter time?

Not generally shorter no – usually with a silent class with one person “leading” you’ll lose around 20 mins. If I’m doing my own silent class, I’ll usually have shorter savasanas and since I know what pose is next, there’s no “setup instructions” – so that’s shorter still.

Also when away, I’ll do a single set, no savasana silent “class” which is very quick – 30-40mins – and still feels good, though obviously is only “maintenance” compared to a full class. Better than nothing!

Can one really do that? I have heard Bikram say the savanasas is very, very important.

Bikram says all sorts of contradictory things (ref your remarks about timing for example!) – since the advanced series doesn’t have savasanas between poses, I imagine he’s not firm on that. But anyway, that’s not so important – I think you are correct yes that savasanas (between poses) are beneficial. One of my favorite teachers on this subject is a guy called Tony Schwartz who believes we should actually train & ritualize “recovery” skills. I think that savasanas are good “recovery training” in that it teaches us how to calm down rapidly and practice the “good health practice” of bringing the heart rate back to a healthy resting pace as quickly as possible after stress/vigorous exercise.

But for regular practitioners, doing a class very now and then without savasanas between poses is a great challenge!

The timings are so strange. In the the Bikram Yoga beginning class book it says 10-20 seconds, but in a class more than 1 minute, and in this guide also 1 minute is certain poses.

Is it OK to do it shorter time? I am a great fan of ayurveda, and according to ayurveda you only work up to discomfort and hold back. If you need to mouth breath, hold back, if you feel pain or discomfort, hold back, if you loose form, hold back.

Stefan, it’s your practice so in the end, it’s up to you. In terms of full muscle recruitment to “get” the stretch and to turn off the golgi-tendon organ reflex (protection from muscle tearing), it takes a full 10-20 seconds to get the 100% effect – hence why poses are usually held that long. So if you hold a pose for only 1-sec – there’s little benefit in it! (Other than satisfaction I suppose!)

I think that one of the great successes of the various hot yoga series is the elevated heart rate and breathing stimuli – coupled with some of the longer poses (30/60sec) that really improve cardio-stamina – but for sure, anything that causes pain or is obviously aggravating a condition must be modified – for example, I have a minor tear in my meniscus (allegedly!) and so for 3 poses in particular, I simply don’t twist that leg/knee, but modify the pose, as it only makes it sore, without any improvement.

So with your back problem for example, it may not be a good idea to attempt full standing head to knee at all. For those with a bad back, or a minor injury (and I’ve done this myself after a back strain), we usually recommend just holding the knee and standing straight. This is no longer a compression pose obviously, but it is still practicing the balance, quadriceps stamina and some cardio in preparation for returning to the first part of the pose once the injury has healed.

Some yoga – such as Yin Yoga for example – specifically uses looooong holding (3-5 mins) to focus on opening joints/stretching into notoriously tight ligaments etc. So it depends on your aim I think!

I hope that helps – the timing guide as far as I know is accurate to what is commonly practiced in most Bikram-style studios. As always, for anyone reading, you should follow your instructor’s guidance.

Namaste,

Robert

Stefan
    Participant

That was a very interestering post! Thank you!

Do you mena no Savanas between floor poses?

I tried yesterday to not do Savasana between floor poses in my pick-me-up-set I do before skateboarding (I also do 5 min Sun Salutatation after the half moon series) and it felt good. I saved a few minutes that I can use on my skateboard instead. And, people will not wonder why I am laying like dead on the floor… and the risk of getting a skateboard in my head is less.

Forum Owner

LOL! Watch out for those skateboards!

Yes Stefan actually I meant no savasanas at all – standing or floor – the whole thging just flows. It really makes you concentrate on your breathing too.

Love the idea of the Sun Salutations after Half-Moon – that would bring the energy up for sure.

Namaste

Robert

Stefan
    Participant

Advanced series no Savasana in floor poses? What I know the advanced series is pretty much the same exept a lotus series?

For the standing postures, Bikram says the set up is enough rest.

So, one can do a full class with no Savasana?

Stefan
    Participant

What about those sit-ups between floor poses? Do you still lay on your back between poses and do the sit-up?

Forum Owner

Jeez Stefan, am I slack in not replying?

Sorry about leaving it so long! :cheese:

For the standing postures, Bikram says the set up is enough rest.

So, one can do a full class with no Savasana?

I think this is true, yes. I personally enjoy it!

What about those sit-ups between floor poses? Do you still lay on your back between poses and do the sit-up?

Not as a regular thing as it seems a little contrived and a waste of time laying down to suddenly get straight back up again!

But I *have* done this, especially if I’m consciously working on my core; tummy or back strength (using the final part of the situp as a brief Paschimottanasana.

How is your back these days?

Namaste,

Robert

kcandm
    Participant

To the original question about practice at home: I’ve been doing Hot Yoga for about 10 years off and on and have only been to a studio once. I found out about Bikram online and ordered the book that described the poses. I’ve studied that book many times. I’ve also taken other yoga classes. But for Hot Yoga (which is my preferred version) I do a home practice that is geared just to me. I do my practice in a sauna. There is enough space to do anything, you just have to think about the space a little more than you would in a studio i.e. where exactly to place my foot so that neither my other foot nor my hand touch a wall during balancing stick. I don’t worry about getting to and from a studio. I don’t pay class fees. The sauna doesn’t smell stinky like many studios. I don’t worry about what to wear. I gear each practice to my needs. I can do a shorter practice or a longer practice. I can add time to areas that need a little more attention. I typically add maybe three or four non Bikram poses to my practice.
    Although I do the Bikram series my practice is not like a Bikram studio class. It is My practice and I love it.
    Namaste
    Kathy
    🙂

Nynn
    Participant

… I don’t worry about what to wear. I gear each practice to my needs. I can do a shorter practice or a longer practice. I can add time to areas that need a little more attention. I typically add maybe three or four non Bikram poses to my practice.
    Although I do the Bikram series my practice is not like a Bikram studio class. It is My practice and I love it.
    Namaste
    Kathy
    🙂

Your post made me smile – I’m on Day 3 (30-day challenge) practicing at home and I’m amazed at how different my home practice is from what we do at the studio. I’ve just been kind of doing whatever: I threw out the whole idea of timing myself and I’ve just been holding poses for however long I feel like doing in that moment; I’ve been switching up the order, changing what part of my mat I’m facing, throwing in some old dance stretches, and taking extra time if I need it to refocus. Oh yeah, and everything happens in pajamas :coolsmile:

I think it’s fantastic and inspiring that you’ve maintained a successful home practice for so long by truly becoming your own guide. I don’t think it gets any more “yoga” than that 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top