Piroformis Syndrome

Piroformis Syndrome2009-08-17T04:42:30+00:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi
    I have been practicing Bikram yoga regularly for ovre 3 years (4 to 5 a week)
    I have a pain that comes in my butt when I sit on it and I am tight from the butt down to the back of my knee often on my right side. It is also very hard to lock the right knee. When I fly or drive the pain comes on and is coming on sooner and sooner as I sit, so it seems. I feel great otherwise and do make very tiny teensy weenie incrimental progress in my practice. Although I have come a long way. (when I started I couldnt touch my toes, now I put my hands flat on the floor.) I totally believe in my practice but the tightness in my butt and back of thigh is discouraging.

Thanks
    Mark

abelanger26
    Participant

Have you tried stretching your piriformis muscles.

Great stretch: Lay on your back and cross your right leg over your left. You want your ankle aligned on the thigh. Grab your left leg with your hands and pull it towards you. Make sure your right knee does pop up. if so bring it back. Stretch for 90 sec 3 times. Repeat on the other side.

You can also do a deep tissue massage with a tennis ball. Lay on your back and put the tennis ball under your buttock. Try to find the tight muscle and rub it around. Eventually apply more pressure with your body weight.

hope I helped! Should release the sciatic nerve (it passes through the tight muscle witch can bring the pain and weakness down the leg) Good luck!

barky
    Participant

Hi
    I posted the original question and i want to thank you for replying. My research had all led me in the same direction with the stretch and the ball technique. But I was hoping that I could find an answer and equate it to my practice. Perhaps my triangle is not deep enough? Maybe my tree stand could be better, or in the final separate leg stretch I am not working the piroformis muscle enough or am I maybe aggravating it in these poses that seem to touch me there.
    Maybe?

Barky
    Samba Beach NJ

abelanger26
    Participant

Hi!
    What do you mean your triangle is not deep enough or tree stand could be better. Can you tell us what you do. It would be easier to give you some advices on your postures 😉

barky
    Participant

Hi
    Hypothetically
    If it were just me, my yoga practice and my piroformis syndrome, (maybe stuck on a deserted island) Would it ever go away? (the piroformis syndrome) :coolsmile:
    Thanks
    Bark
    Samba Beach NJ

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Mark

There are questions of technique that may be relevant to you in this case. May I ask you if you have put piriformis in the search facility up the top right to search for some techniques to confirm if you are already doing your poses in the best way to avoid worsening your situation and make it better?

Please get back to me and let me know how else I may help you.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top