heachache right after floor bow pose

heachache right after floor bow pose2008-03-06T18:11:58+00:00
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Posted by gusth

I get a very bad sudden headache right after floor bow pose but then it quickly goes away.
    Any ideas what that could be?
    thank you.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello

Isn’t strange how the body responds to movement? It is said that the body is a storehouse for crystallized emotion. So we can set things free with the yoga.

If it helps you at all, you may be interested to know that the same things happens to me after Camel pose, BUT only when I haven’t done enough yoga! Incredible. There are times where I don’t get to the hot room because of a holiday or some kind of forced break. It seems that the yoga just cleanses me physically and mentally in a profound measurable way. I get the headache and it disappears after a few classes.

I wonder if that rings some bells for you and am interested in your experience.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Mammaren
    Participant

I used to have this very same problem. I would get a BLINDING (though very brief) headache the first time I sat up for Fixed Firm – so right after Danurasana. I figured out that my headache was a two-fold issue. First off, I was seriously deficient in my electrolytes. I started taking Himalayan Sea Salts for that. Secondly, I went to see my chiropractor. What he found was that I was suffering some hormonal imbalances. And the truth for me was that the yoga ended up fixing it in the long run, but I did have the issue for at least a few months. I hope this gives you some insight!

alisonS
    Participant

I have a similar issue.  Almost as soon as my sit bones are on the floor in fixed firm I get a blinding pain in my forehead.  I don’t get this pain if I sit on my heels it only seems to happen when i separate my feet and my bottom touches the floor.  I have been practicing for over a year and this always seems to happen.  Someone suggested it might be something to do with my third eye chakra?  Any ideas

Thankyou

Forum Owner

Hi Alison

I wouldn’t mind knowing if you sit with your knees together or apart. I would also like to know what happens if you begin that part of your pose with your knees widely apart. My train of thought: I would like for you to try getting your bottom onto the floor with the knees splayed wide. It’s easier on the hips and legs and ankles and knees this way and it might, just might make whatever neurological thing that is happening normally, not happen!

Get back to me 😉

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

alisonS
    Participant

Normally knees together.  I tried it with legs apart and the pain went away almost immediately!  I guess I should I just continue this way for a while!  Thanks

Forum Owner

Hi Alison

So fantastic! What should also be feeling is that there is more freedom in your hips, less struggle, a more solid connection of your hips on the floor. Your legs, ankles, knees and back should basically feel a lot more comfortable.

Here’s your plan for progress:

When you get your bottom on the floor, leave it there. You may think that is obvious but I can guarantee you that with your knees together, that (if you have done so) you have gone back and lifted your hips up off the floor and then replaced them on the floor. So, hips on floor and they stay there. No lifting even a tiny bit. If they lift at all then you get back up and start again with your knees a little wider apart, or just don’t lie back as far (ie stop on your elbows and put your head back). I don’t care (and neither should you) if you’re not going back at all. My rule of thumb is DO NOT go back unless you can sit on your bottom, weightily (legs apart or together but with firm, even comfortable, connection to the ground through your hips and legs) with your back straight.

Once you get back, hips are solid and your knees are akimbo ( 😉 ) then over the next whatever time it takes, you start to move your knees back together bit by bit. If you have to lift your hips to do that then you’re moving prematurely.

OK, over to you!

So happy it was such a quick solution for you! You can see that it can be dangerous to believe that the dialog has all the answers. It really only has SOME answers for the people who can already do the poses. It’s a rough guide that misleads people based on it merely being a snapshot of a single class delivered once and then transcribed. It cannot cater to everyone. Leaves stuff out. Puts in unnecessary stuff.

Enjoy your new found comfort

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top