cramping in the compression postures

cramping in the compression postures2010-02-11T07:53:37+00:00
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anyone else have the problem of cramping in the diaphragm muscles when putting forehead to knee in this posture? If I put my forehead on my knee, I cramp EVERY time after about 2 seconds. It used to be only with this posture, but I am beginning to cramp with any/all of the compression postures. If I do not put my forehead to my knee, and just suck my stomach in, tuck my chin & roll down, arching my back and pushing off the floor, I do not cramp, but the moment I put my forehead to my knee, the front side of my body cramps up (on the side of the forward leg)to the extent that I have to stop the posture for the duration of the pose. Any suggestions?

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Gale

I was wondering if perhaps you are sucking in your stomach too hard. Do you have to bend your leg to get your forehead to knee contact? Perhaps you can bend it (or bend it more than normal) and work on that position for a few classes to see if you can avoid the cramping.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

galekw
    Participant

Thank you, Gabrielle, for your quick response! Yes, I am flexible enough to get my forehead to my knee without difficulty (except for the cramping response!) It doesn’t seem to matter if I tense (or suck in) my stomach or relax it, as the cramping occurs in the upper quadrant of the rectus abdominus independent of my stomach. I’ve even experimented with not sucking the stomach in at all & trying to let the front of the body expand with breathing (your breathing video has a brief illustration of breathing in this posture), but I still cramp right under the ribs when I reduce the distance between torso & thigh. I tried bending the leg, and it helps somewhat, but I almost have to be lunging on the forward leg to alleviate the cramping. I feel like I’m really cheating on the posture! While doing this experimenting, I also paid more attention to my hip alignment & weight distribution on both legs. If I am exactly over the center of my legs, but really bring the backward hip forward (more forward than square), I didn’t cramp, but got an equal distribution “pinch” on both sides (less than a cramp, but more than a contraction – at least I didn’t fall over in pain!). Is this more what I’m looking for?

Forum Owner

Hi Gale

I was thinking that because it is ONLY happening in this pose that we should approach it from a different angle for a while…

Would you try going into this pose and placing your forehead in a position on the leg where your camping doesn’t occur?

Get EVERYTHING else right, the hip alignment, the foot positions (heels aligned) everything except the forehead to knee. It will be forehead to top of shin methinks. You can talk some time exploring this and little by little moving your head further up.

If that doesn’t work come here as I have another idea.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

galekw
    Participant

Hello Gabrielle,

Thank you for the suggestion…I tried it and it worked. Then I got intrigued, and I took the time to really play with this posture in front of several mirrors, so I could really see where my feet were, where my head was, where my hips were, and what kind of an arch I was getting when I put my head on the knee vs. on the top of the shin or lower. And what happened when I changed each one of these things just a little bit. The cramping IS alleviated when I put my head lower than my knee, (just on top of the shin) and this does not put such a strain on my neck. The mirrors enabled me to really check my foot and hip alignment, and I found that if my foot alignment was even an inch off (the heels have to be exactly aligned), the likelihood of cramping increased considerably. I have cramped in other compression postures (rabbit & head to knee combined w/intense stretching pose), but usually only after I’ve cramped badly in this one. I pulled this muscle some years ago, so it’s probably sensitive. For now, I am being especially aware of where I’m putting everything, and I’ve been cramp-free! Thanks so much for the extra information on the whys of head to knee and all your help getting me through this. It’s really nice not to be anticipating doubling over in pain anymore!

Gale

Forum Owner

Hi Gale

I am super pleased that I was able to give you something that works. When you have some updates on your progress (for example if you’re finding some resolution of the problem and being able to move your forehead up higher over time) I will be happy to read them.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

megpressotto
    Participant

I’ve been practicing for 2 years now & have had horrible cramping on my left side under or along my ribs, closer to the middle of my chest where the diaphragm might be. This has brought me to my knees at times and feels like a spasm/cramp. It happens mostly just in standing separate leg head to knee, but the pain interferes with other compression postures. Also, the worst part is that after I cramp, the soreness and pain to the touch can last for up to a week after. Anyone else running into this? Any suggestions? It’s quite bothersome.

Forum Owner

Hi Megan

How odd to have this feeling now after 2 years of practice. Is that what you’re saying, that it is a new development? How long have you had this problem?

When you are in Standing Sep Leg Head to Knee, when precisely do you feel the pain? Is it as you are entering? Is it when you put your hands on the floor? Is it when you push up from the floor with your hands? Or is it a different time altogether?

Any other information that you may have will be very useful.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

dianamite
    Participant

I’m resurrecting a very old post, but I have the same problem. The cramping is quite painful and for the whole next week, I can’t hunch forward at all without feeling soreness or triggering cramping again. At least my posture improves!

I have been practicing since 2005 and this just started a couple of months ago. I only do bikram once a week, and of course my instructor just says to come more often.

As far as I can tell, it’s just staying in a compression for too long that triggers it, but it happens very suddenly.

Forum Owner

Hello Diana

Would you please tell me exactly what or where is cramping up? Is it always the same location or does that sensation move around? Which pose or poses trigger the cramping? Is it always the same point in the class where this happens? What stops the cramping? Aside from taking something (salt, whatever — maybe tell me if you actually do take something) what else do you do to stop it happening (in the interim, between classes)?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

dianamite
    Participant

The cramping is right up under my ribcage. I am not sure if it’s my diaphragm – deep breaths don’t seem to affect it – but it’s in that location. It stops when I straighten my back.

It happens in standing separate leg head to knee, after a few seconds with my forehead on my knee. But if I do that pose, and get the cramping, it also happens in rabbit and even sometimes in head to knee stretching. My leg is quite bent in that pose, my hamstrings are not very flexible.

I think I can avoid it by not trying to straighten the front leg and just letting my head rest a bit lower rather than trying to curve forward so much. That’s not really doing the pose properly, but I think it’s the actual forward compression that isn’t working for me right now.

I haven’t been doing anything else to stop it from happening.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top