Front hip pain

Front hip pain2010-02-11T19:13:49+00:00
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m a relative newcomer to Bikram and on February 1, I begun my first 30 day challenge. I’ve noticed my left hip ached a few days ago where the ball joint is at on the front of my leg. Today I didn’t do Triangle because it really started to bother me. Is this normal? It doesn’t hurt all the time, only when I go up and down stairs, for the most part. Tonight I noticed a Popping coming from the hip joint when I walked – not a consistent popping but occasional.

thank you,
    Joy Wilder
    my yoga blog: 1st stab at blogging! http://wilderworld.wordpress.com/

fraseram
    Participant

i would get it x rayed and checked out

bonmar
    Participant

Amy! Good to see you back on line. How’s your hip?

fraseram
    Participant

eah i was out of commish for awhile but after a total hip one month ago doing very well. hitting hotroom for first time on sunday…. tomorrow. with lots of modifications but there doing what i can. thanks for thinking of me 🙂 you have all been in my thoughts too

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Joy

I would like to ask you about your alignment generally and where else your hip hurts (which poses). What can you tell me about your arches? Do you walk with your feet turned out, in or straight ahead? I would like more information to work out if it is a physiological or pose technique issue.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

fraseram
    Participant

my biggest and easiest mistake ,……. and the one that caused me the most problems was triangle. make sure you are not collapsed into your joint (its not meant to take that much pressure) but that your muscles are supporting you. I also have to be careful in eagle and just go deep enough to feel a slight pull but no tension.

jwilder
    Participant

Let’s see…Triangle really bothers my hip. Wind removing pose does too, but I am able to do it if I concentrate on relaxing my left hip.

My heels: I definitely pronate. I have noticed that in Hands to Feet I can’t get my knees near each other when I round down, which leads me to think that my knees (and hips, possibly?) have possibly overcompensated for my heels by rounding out.

A lot of people have said the middle of a 30 day challenge becomes rough on the body, so all of this may be normal. I may ask my chiropractor about this and getting checked out by him if the pain doesn’t subside soon.

Joy

jwilder
    Participant

i would get it x rayed and checked out

I’m new here – what happened to your hip?

I hope you feel better soon,
    Joy

Forum Owner

Hi Joy

Just FYI so we can stay on topic here, you can find out about Amy’s rather immense challenges at these threads: Hip Scare And Update and Total Hip Replacement On Friday. There is much more you can read by performing an “Advanced Search” and typing in the name of the person in Member Search (which is incidentally how I found the above 2 posts!).

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Forum Owner

Hi Joy

I see by your Wind Removing example that you have intuited that relaxing the part of the body you don’t need is imperative to ‘get’ your pose.

I also note that I don’t yet know which side of Triangle actually makes your left hip hurt. My guess is that on your first side where your left leg is straight that you feel it, but does it also hurt when you bend your leg for the second side (or is that left over discomfort)?

You indicate that your arches collapse. Can you confirm that this is in your life outside your yoga practice as well as during yoga? This I am sure is a major contributor to your issue. It will involve placing some conscious attention on your stance (whether you lean on one leg or use both legs and feet evenly when you simply stand up or cook or wait in lines or whatever); perhaps evolving the way you walk; it will involve understanding the process by which you balance in all your poses (even the 2 legged ones) and how poses are built from the ground up.

I’ll have some modifications for next post so in the meantime please check out my free video: Great Posture From The Ground Up and we can take it from there.

You know, my opinion is going to differ a bit from those you’ve spoken to. It is possible that your body can find it difficult to get through the challenge but this is usually because you have not built in the right rhythm for your body to physically recover, PLUS it is very possible that some of the techniques CRUCIAL to a safe practice are not being incorporated in your poses.

We’ll keep talking and see what resonates from the video and then we can talk about adapting your practice to hopefully say good bye to the pain!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

fraseram
    Participant

very good point Gabrielle. I found that when I collapse and relax my feet my hip is not in alignment and therefore not having proper support and stability. this would often cause me problems as well.

jwilder
    Participant

I also note that I don’t yet know which side of Triangle actually makes your left hip hurt. My guess is that on your first side where your left leg is straight that you feel it, but does it also hurt when you bend your leg for the second side (or is that left over discomfort)?

Both sides of triangle give me discomfort. The first side (when the left leg is straight) doesn’t bother me as much as the second side. In fact, I don’t attempt the 2nd side because I don’t know if I’m hurting myself.

You indicate that your arches collapse. Can you confirm that this is in your life outside your yoga practice as well as during yoga?

Yes, this occurs outside of my yoga practice as well.

I’ll be sure to check out your video(s),
    Joy

Forum Owner

Hi Joy

Just thinking about hips. I wonder whether you employ the technique of pushing (not just placing) the straight and energized arm into the knee and whether you feel the hip and inner thighs opening up when you do this. As you have pronation difficulties, I would suggest that engaging your arm against your leg in the correct way (see other triangle posts) so that your elbow and not just your upper arm are against the knee, will help you out. Pushing your knee to line your shin vertically and raising your arch while pushing down at the ball of the foot at the big toe will assist you.

As will the technique video on your postural alignment starting with your feet.

How’s your lunge? Is your leg at right angles?

If you are experiencing lots of pain, then rest for a couple of days. Try the above first and let me know. I have another modification up my sleeve for you which I will share with you personally.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top