Colds/Flu

Colds/Flu2010-02-22T01:58:30+00:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I just want to know what the general consensus is on coming to class while sick. I am experiencing head cold symptoms such as aches, sneezing, stiff neck, headache, sore throat and possibly a very low grade fever. It came on yesterday and I stayed home today, but tomorrow if I’m not experiencing too much discomfort I was considering going to class to try to work this bug out of my system.

What do you all think? Recommended or not recommended?

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

Definitely recommended to help flush everything out!

Not good to go while you have a fever, or would consider yourself infectious, but once that has subsided, go for it.

Etiquette note: If you are still using a few tissues be aware that some folks find that a bit off-putting (depending on uh, what you do with the used ones!) so it’s always good to be discreet.

It usually does help your body move through the symptoms more quickly. (Hey look, I used my yoga to recover from pneumonia just about one year ago now – hard work, but well worth it.)

Love to hear what others think!

Micherie
    Participant

Hi Robert,

Thanks! Ya, I think I may still be a tad contagious so I’ll skip today for the sake of my fellow yogis.

My sinuses flow often, even when I’m not sick and I just use the corner of my towel. Some people probably think it’s gross but I just don’t care. The darn thing is drenched in sweat anyway, what’s wrong with a little mucus too? haha!!

Kelzalulu
    Participant

I have been practicing for about four tears. However this year has been tough because I have been getting head colds nearly every two weeks while attempting a sixty day challenge. I thought it might have been because I was practicing in winter and many of my fellow class mates may have been ill. However it is now spring and it has happened again. Without fail approximately twenty four hours of a tough class I come down with symptoms. I never normally get sick this often. Perhaps because I am practicing too often and am not replacing my fluids adequately after class? Has this happened to anyone else? It is definitely triggered by practice unfortunately and I am concerned I may have to look into another type of yoga.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Kelly

Frequent head colds – that can’t be fun. It’s interesting to suggest you are not taking enough fluids. Do you really think that could be it? Have you considered something about your supplementation? What happens when you do take enough fluid after a tough class? If I draw a long bow I could ask you about your nutrition and if you think it’s related.

What about your environment? Does the studio you go to have carpets on the floors? How would you describe the hygiene there? It could have something to do with it? Or we could exclude it from our discussions.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Kelzalulu
    Participant

Sorry for my delay. I have alternated between two different studios so I don’t think that is it. I am definitely not as diligent enough with hydration as I should be. When I cut back to three times a week I am fine. It is just the challenges where I become I’ll. I think maybe the strain is too much for my system combined with the lack of proper rehydration. I usually have a powerade or coconut water after class, but am then less diligent throughout the rest if the day.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top