Planning to go next week. Some question.

Planning to go next week. Some question.2010-04-07T07:35:05+00:00
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

1. I am about 70 lbs overweight. Is it okay to do hot yoga?
    2. What should I wear?
    3. What drink should I have with me? I am thinking taking Gatorade and Water.
    4. What should I eat before going to class?

My boss went there 3 times. She passed out every times. So, I am really concern.

LoveTheHeat
    Participant

1. hydrate well in the days prior to going to your first class
    2. don’t be a hero, go slowly and stop when it gets too much
    3. stay in the room, do not leave, just being in the hot room is good for you even if you are not doing the exercizes
    4. try not to fidget, it wastes energy
    5. have some energy drink for yourself after class, drink only water while in the hot yoga room

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Nattie

Thank you Kordelia for the response. I will add to it:

It is wonderful for you to do hot yoga when you are overweight. Just recognize that you do need to follow Kordelia’s instructions and not overdo it.

The heat acclimatization process takes 2 weeks (it’s a physiological process). So persist for that time even though you will find it tough. Then it takes some attention on learning the poses themselves. That process in itself has to be allowed to unfold, for you to make mistakes – so just listen well, observe well. If you find yourself lacking energy, try watching the first set of poses (for the visual example of what to do) and then do the second set.

Wear skin-fitting clothes NOT LOOSE ones. Don’t wear sleeves. Wear a singlet or gym top of some description. Wear bike shorts or capri pants (even though it’s better to wear something where you can see your knees – no explanation needed as you’ll discover!).

PLEASE DON’T drink Gatorade. It’s just table salt and sugar and little else. You would be better to find some electrolyte sachets or tablets and have them before or after class. And/or you can start adding unrefined sea salt (like Celtic, Hawaiian or even Himalayan) to your diet (add to your food and even add some to your water). Drink 2-3 liters of water every day. And more on days with classes especially if you live in a warm climate. Take water in with you for class and sip it as needed between poses.

Eat a light meal before class and try to leave about 2-3 hours food-free before class.

I hope that helps. There are many other threads like this on the forum so you can scout around and see what others have recommended.

You can never say why someone else passes out. It may have no bearing on your experience. You are carrying extra weight around at the moment so just take it easier as your body and mind get used to the new routines. It will be worth it.

Don’t struggle! Try to keep an even breath, even when it get’s challenging. And … Have fun!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

lee
    Participant

1. I’m still about 110 pounds overweight but that’s 98 pounds less than when I started. I go as often as possible, usually 3-4 times per week.

2. As little as you feel comfortable wearing

3. Just water in class. It’s most important to be hydrated before you start.

4. Lightly and nothing for several hours before class starts.

Don’t base your expectations on your boss’s experience. It’s hard to say why any individual reacts one way or another. You’ll find your own body is different every day as well. That’s ok.

One suggestion, try to be at peace with sweating. The sweat needs to be on your skin to cool you. If you wipe & swipe you’ll just end up being hotter and dehydrating more.

Take Care,
    Lee

Forum Owner

Hey Nattie!

We are all looking forward to hearing how you went with your first class(es). Would you be willing to come and update us? We’re here to support you!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Nattie
    Participant

Finally, I have time to reply. I went there couple of week ago. Class start at 7:30. I wear short and t-shirt. I went there half an hour early. It was a great experience. HOT HOT HOT. I was not faint, but I could not stand of the heat. Since I am 70 lbs overweight. I wasn’t able to do all the post. I am just sit and learn. I did went out off the room for 5 minutes. I came back to finish the rest. However, I have a light headache after class. I am not sure what was happen. Any suggestion? I am planning to go back soon.

Forum Owner

Hi Nattie

The first thing I would say is …. Wow, you did it! 😉

The next thing is please wear a sleeveless top. It’s important to let your body feel the air on the skin. There is NO WAY I could do this yoga with a t shirt on.

In fact at my studio if someone comes in with a t shirt on or tracksuit pants then I have some singlets they can borrow. We try to find them something more suitable for the experience.

I do know that many people don’t like to see themselves in bike shorts or capris or gym tops but just know this will be the way you can learn to breeze through a class (relatively speaking) rather than feel stifled because of wrong gear choice. You will really only be fighting your own thoughts about what you think of yourself and what you THINK others think of you (if that comes into it at all for you!).

The rest of the recommendations from me and everyone else stand: Hydration, electrolytes in sea salt and supplements, rest, and so on.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Nattie
    Participant

thank you for your reply. I am thinking to do that. I felt the t-shirt wasn’t a good idea. I did bring electrolytes water with me. I think, I didn’t drink enough water period to the class. In addition, I felt my instructor wasn’t good toward students. Since, the first class was free for the first time student. The instructor wasn’t good toward many new students(about 6 new students). I will go to another instructor probably next week. Hope for better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top