BPPV and vertigo

BPPV and vertigo2010-06-28T13:35:24+00:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello everybody, Isabella from Rome, Italy here.
    Do you have any experience with BPPV caused vertigo and modifications to keep practising?
    Thank you

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Isabella

I had not heard of BPPV before. I would be very happy to help you though (having been dizzy myself because of ear problems and a related ear operation). So can you tell me what movements are causing you to feel dizzy? Is it just dizziness? What are the other signs that make you feel disoriented?

Are you affected in the yoga room and in ‘regular’ circumstances too?

Are there particular poses that you can’t do because of your condition? Fill me in on some details. I would like to know more before recommending anything to try (I have some ideas!).

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

isy1974
    Participant

Gabrielle,
    actually is one of my students affected by BPPV. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a disorder caused by problems in the inner ear, specificaly by the displacement of the otoconia (aka ear rocks).
    The symptoms of BPPV include dizziness or vertigo, lightheadedness, imbalance, and nausea. Activities which bring on symptoms will vary among persons, but symptoms are almost always precipitated by a change of position of the head with respect to gravity. Getting out of bed or rolling over in bed are common “problem” motions . Because people with BPPV often feel dizzy and unsteady when they tip their heads back to look up, sometimes BPPV is called “top shelf vertigo.” Women with BPPV may find that the use of shampoo bowls in beauty parlors brings on symptoms. An intermittent pattern is common. BPPV may be present for a few weeks, then stop, then come back again.
    Clearly doctors tend to tel people to be as still as possible, however I’m sure some modifications are needed and it is possible to keep practising also to keep the body fit and the mind calm to face also these episodes.
    There are two treatments of BPPV that are usually performed in the doctor’s office. Both treatments are very effective, with roughly an 80% cure rate.
    The maneuvers, named after their inventors, are both intended to move debris or “ear rocks” out of the sensitive part of the ear (posterior canal) to a less sensitive location. Each maneuver takes about 15 minutes to complete. The Semont maneuver (also called the “liberatory” maneuver) involves a procedure whereby the patient is rapidly moved from lying on one side to lying on the other. It is a brisk maneuver that is not currently favored in the United States.
    The Epley maneuver is also called the particle repositioning, canalith repositioning procedure, and modified liberatory maneuver.It involves sequential movement of the head into four positions, staying in each position for roughly 30 seconds. The recurrence rate for BPPV after these maneuvers is about 30 percent at one year, and in some instances a second treatment may be necessary.
    I’m investigating if this lady already tried them, I’m suspecting she didn’t awaitng for an aswear.
    However when and if she decides to come back to yoga, I’d like to be prepared with modifications.

I’d be gratefull to hear from you, Isabella

Forum Owner

Hi Isabella

Thanks for the quote! I had read the details of the condition and suggested treatments. It’s all fascinating stuff. Such tiny things causing such havoc.

I would prefer to know more about the personal experiences of your student rather than guess some ideas. So if you’d be willing I would love to hear more about the specifics of her problem, when, how and what happens to her, what exact movements bring on the dizziness or whatever sensations she is feeling, whether it’s only during yoga, only outside of yoga or in certain activities or not in others.

Then I hope to be able to suggest something of value.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

soonerellen
    Participant

Hi there! I had vertigo happen in class today and I’m freaked out, which is why I googled this. This was my fourth class of Bikram yoga and it happened during position # 21 – Ardha Kurmasana. I LOVE doing yoga but I’m scared to go back tomorrow now. I started doing my at home exercises to see if that helps. My sensations were, dizziness changing positions, spinning and extreme nausea. I lasted until the end of class. Any advice? I’d love to hear anything about this! Thank you! 🙂 Sooner

Forum Owner

Hi Sooner

Are you still doing the yoga? How about that sensation of vertigo? Get back to me. Apologies for the delay.

Was the sensation a one-off? It’s hard to know about whether something will happen again if there is no pattern established

I will look out for your reply

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top