Finding the right practice for pregnancy

Finding the right practice for pregnancy2010-07-04T07:04:44+00:00
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle,

I hope you can help me. I have been practicing Bikram for more than 2 years, and, until I found out I was pregnant, about 3 times a week.

I was advised to stay out of the studio for the first 12 weeks (currently at week 10) and to practice at home, and learn the pregancy series by rajashree. As you mentioned in an earlier post, this series is quite short, with less postures than the normal series and also with postures held for less time. I’m finding it pretty unchallenging (and cold!), and I feel like I’m losing some of my fitness (well, being pregnant is obviously contributing to that).

I want to go back to the studio after week 12, and I am wondering if you can help me out with what to do when the others are doing:
    * Standing head to knee
    * Standing separate leg head to knee
    * Full locust
    * Rabbit

And do you think it will be OK for me to resume the normal timing for the other postures (and alternatives from the pregnancy series)?

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Rachel

How wonderful!!!!

As you know I didn’t stay out of the studio. Didn’t go during week 13 because of an important change in the baby’s circulation. You can pretty much go back when you feel ok about it. As I ALWAYS say, it’s your decision.

Have you checked the forum? I can’t remember if I have made online recommendations for pose suggestions.

I did giggle for a moment there when I noticed you didn’t include the other 3 belly down poses. 😉 Some great visuals of the heavily pregnant in floor bow! 😆

I can give you some ideas via email. But for Sep Leg Head to Knee don’t tuck the chin go down with a straight back, chin to the shin, hands on the floor. Rabbit, well, you won’t be doing that. But if you can at first do it (for a while when you’re not big) you don’t suck in your stomach! But I will get back to you on other ideas in an email. Send me a PM to remind me.

Normal timing is fine. You’re pregnant – not sick. 😉

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top