30 day Challenge

30 day Challenge2010-09-06T12:06:54+00:00
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello

I’ve been practicing Bikram Yoga for two and a half years and recently decided to try a 30 day challenge with a view to developing and deepening my existing practice. I was really excited about it and admittedly had some expectations of how my practice might progress over the course of the month. It has been a disaster for me. I have read endless accounts of how people who have completed 30 day challenges have experienced strengthening of their practice, heightened energy levels, improvements in stamina and ability to deal with the heat etc etc and whilst I appreciate that everyone is individual, I can’t understand why my experience has been so very drastically different.

I’m now on Day 27 of 30 and I can safely say that I have never looked or felt worse. My practice has deteriorated substantially; there are postures I used to execute strongly which I can no longer do. Every fiber of my being aches. I’m so stiff in my lower back, glutes and hamstrings that I can barely move. My skin has broken out. I feel exhausted to the point of nausea all the time and am genuinely struggling psychologically to even make it to class. Where previously I almost always had strong classes, I now struggle to make it through class and frequently have to sit out postures. The most distressing phenomenon to develop over the past month is that I’ve taken to crying uncontrollably for no apparent reason in class…..not once or twice, but every other day.

I have been taking multi-vitamins and electrolyte supplements all month whilst also hydrating and eating sensibly and I simply cannot understand why this has been so tough for me both physically and mentally. I feel so negative about everything and am genuinely concerned that I have somehow damaged myself and my love for this yoga by taking on this challenge.

Lisafr
    Participant

I am practicing at home and can’t compare with a studio, but want to share my experience. I have been practicing for a year, around 3-5 times a week. A couple of weeks ago I did a 20-day challenge (my own invention, I decided to go back to my old habits after day 20!), just to see the difference with my normal practice. For me it seems to be much better to practice 4-5 times a week. 7 times without a break is just too much. 3 times seems to be not enough. In fact, 4-5 times seems to be ideal in my case. I believe strongly that a body (at least my body) needs at least one day of rest every week. If I take 1 or 2 days rest, it even seems to improve my yoga practice!
    However, this could be different for everybody. I just got very curious about doing yoga every day but I am back to 4-5 days a week now which I prefer. Maybe you could try to take a rest for 1 or 2 days and see whether you start feeling a bit better during your next class?

dogdayz
    Participant

Hi Caryn,

I started Hot Yoga in January twice a week, initially to become more flexible and for a new challenge. I am a personal trainer that has lifted weights for years, and I also love Zumba classes. As I got more into the yoga I started feeling like I needed to do it more often to really get the benefits that everyone talked about. I started adding in home practice a few days a week and after reading about the 30 day challenges, started my own.
    I only made it to about day 10, and other than the fact that I did get better in some of the postures, my experience was exactly like yours. On top of that, when I finally stopped the pain never went away even after taking 4 weeks off of everything. New pain kept developing.
    Long story short, I am newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia at age 50 after an extremely active & healthy life. I will never know if the traumatic overtraining I inflicted on my body those last few months triggered it, but it sure seems that way.
    I would say – listen to your body! I tell my clients that all the time, and I wish I had walked that walk instead of trying to gut it out.
    Also, at this point I don’t know if I should return to practicing 2 or so times a week to see if it will help, or just stick with other types of yoga geared to chronic pain relief. I have to really pick and choose what I do these days as my energy levels are waaaay down. Any ideas on this Gabrielle?

Anonymous

Hi there!

Man can I relate to your post!

I started my first challenge with the thought that if I gave it my all, after 30 days I would be pounds lighter, I’d FINALLY be in most of the poses, I’d feel energized, terrific, my practice would be stronger, deeper! I could post on the board about my awesome experience! I would be JUST like the others who had amazing experiences! I’d be the freaking posterchild for Bikrams’ and what it could do for you!

And when my practice faltered after 2 weeks, when I had no eneregy, when my hamstrings and hip flexors had the screaming owies, when I couldn’t even make it through the freaking warmup, well, I was in tears. AND at the end of the challenge, I had lost exactly 1 lb! Even though I was 50lbs overweight and was STRICTLY following a 1200 calorie a day diet. So after 30 days, my poses SUCKED, my weight was the SAME, I was exhausted and quite frankly, fed up to the eyeballs with Bikram and his stupid challenge. So what happened? Why was my experience so different from what I anticipated, from what I had read about, from what I really really thoguht would happen to me?

I talked to my instructors, and asked them about this. They ALL to a PERSON rolled their eyes and said YES this is NORMAL — you should have seen my practice during the Bikrams’ training! Now that surprised me. I thought MAN you’d be a GODDESS after Bikram’s training! 2 classes a day! Posture clinics! You would make HUGE progress! You’d be in full CAMEL at the end of it! You’d be enlightened!!!! Their experiences were different. They noticed that at first their practice really really improved, until they reached a point where it began to degrade. And they reported a serious degradation. They couldn’t do poses that were second nature to them. They cried during class. They had to lie down ALOT. They were depressed about it. I thought, WOW! So it ISN’T me!

What happens is this: if you stress your body with any intense daily activity day after day after day without rest, your body degrades. It’s that simple. Bikram’s Yoga exercises every muscle and system in your body. When you do a 30 day challenge, you have NO rest or recovery time. You don’t give your muscles/tendons a chance to heal. You damage them slightly every practice (which is just a physiological fact), and then redamage them the next day, and the next, and the next. There is no healing time. Healing time is when you get STRONGER. Without it, you don’t recover. And keep in mind, during teacher training, they get a day off every week. Doesn’t sound like much, but it is enough to keep a body going a bit longer before a practice degrades. And every body WILL degrade, eventually. Its just a matter of WHEN if rest and recuperation time isn’t taken.

Hey, we have a fellow in town who is a runner. He runs 15 miles a day, every day. He’s done so for 10 years now. I see him on my way to Yoga. 10 years ago he was running. Today, he makes the 15 miles, but he is staggering and walking most of the way. He was interviewed by the local paper and he says that his days running are numbered — he’s really really hurt his body over the years. If he’d taken one or two rest days every week, he’d still be running. He just has a body that has taken longer to degrade than it would for, say, my body. I’d have lasted about 3 months and then gone downhill!

I too have read many, many testimonials about 30 day challenge goers, who suddenly can go into full camel, who are now enlightened with deeper practices. I say AWESOME to them! I couldn’t be happier for them! But my first 30 day challenge experience was different most probably because we are all individuals. Bodies respond differently. Some bodies take longer to break down. Some bodies need more recovery time than others. I am in the latter category. Such is life!

When I did my second 30 day challenge I approached it differently. Why was I doing a 30 day challenge? What did I REALLY want to get out of it? I thought that if my goal was to improve my postures, I needed rest days, and a 30 day challenge wasn’t going to do this for me (it does for others, but not for my body type). So I decided that the goal for me was to work Yoga into my life every day for 30 days, to show that I could make this PART of who I was rather than an activity that I did for a specific result, such as a perfect standing bow or head-to-knee pose. I realized that the 30 day challenge was like a marathon, and I certainly wouldn’t sprint out of the gate during a marathon! I had to pace myself and adjust my expectations. I certainly didn’t give 100 percent effort physically every single day (I know — heresy!) because if I did, I would break down physically AND emotionally. I decided to do what I could on each specific day, and that the goal was to go every day — the physical results weren’t the aim at all. I did my second 30 day challenge and was much, much happier during the challenge and was very happy to have worked Yoga into “who” I was, if that makes sense.

Don’t worry, you haven’t lost your love of Yoga! You HAVE made improvements! All you need is to finish the darned challenge, then take a couple of days off, reflect on WHY you did the challenge and if this was a good approach for you, then get right back into it. View this 30 day Challenge experience as an awesome learning experience because it HAS been — you now know that to improve your postures, you need rest time. You have now experienced your personal “breaking point” so to speak. This will help you in your practice because you now know your limits, and THAT is something alot of people don’t know about themselves. Relax, don’t worry about it, and just be happy that you’ve completed something that alot of people never even attempt. And there should be a disclaimer at the end of those “my 30 day challenge was FABULOUS” testimonials, that says “results not typical…your experience may be different” 🙂

Let us know how you are doing!

Freia

Pamela0414
    Participant

I don’t have the stamina to do a 30 day challenge. I tried to do 6 in a row and I just get too tired. I know that I need to listen to my body and rest. I admire people that can do the challenge. I have read Bikram’s books, He doesn’t recommend 30 in a row, he says 6 days a week for 2 months. He even says he thinks people are crazy to do yoga on Sunday’s.

For myself, I wish I could do 6 in a row. I am fairly new and I have a lot of other things that go on in my life that can be tiring, I don’t know…but hopefully someday I can do it.

Caryn
    Participant

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to me and for your positive, supportive replies. This is the first time I’ve posted on here and I’m absolutely delighted and touched by your feedback. You’re all completely right, everybody and “every body” is different and I guess I’m just not geared to that relentless daily practice either mentally or physically. My true reason for embarking on the 30 day challenge is that I have a dream to one day attend Bikram Teacher Training and I guess I thought this would be a good litmus test to see whether I could hack it…..but again you’re right, at teacher training they have days off and I guess at teacher training you’re also not trying to juggle a full time job, commute, family etc.

I’m delighted to say that I have only 2 more classes to complete and then I’m done with the blessed 30 day challenge….thank goodness!!!! I plan to take a week off and then resume my normal 3 – 4 class per week schedule.

Thank you all again for your feedback, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your support!

Anonymous

YAY!!!
    Just…YAY!
    Freia

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Caryn

I am so pleased you are at the other end of your challenge. Congratulations. It is an achievement. I guess at this late stage you probably would feel a little deflated if you decided to have a rest day! I can certainly understand that.

I guess we all take lessons from every experience. When we learn to give up the endurance test and listen to what’s going on it changes from being a sport to practicing yoga. And that doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t do a daily practice. I really appreciate the contributions of our great community. And thanks for sharing your story.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts if you’re willing to share them when you get to ‘the end’.

Hi Cathi

I would like to talk more about the details of your issue. I do want to sit and think for a while, access my mental filing cabinet, and do some research too so that I can give you an opinion. Well, actually come up with some questions for you.

Hi Freia,

There are of course 2 sides to every coin. I would love to share my thoughts with you (all) about challenges and teacher training and how they relate…

Although I found Bikram teacher training very disappointing and tiring (didn’t learn anything except the ‘script’ and nothing to add to my pose knowledge) I did have a fun time!

There’s a good reason why people get a day and a half off each week during training. I fully benefited from that time off with lots of rest, and the Jacuzzi and I became well acquainted.

It’s NOT a blanket experience that your practice will degrade if you don’t take a day off. Some people need no days, 1 and more days off. It’s individual. And reflects our different bodies and constitutions (emotional and physical) and yes, our beliefs. And it even depends on how long you’re expecting to challenge yourself for (we won’t even get into the actual challenge component in this thread!). Most people don’t keep going without a break after their ‘challenge’ is finished.

2 things contribute to a degrading practice:
    <> Poor technique is the cause of almost everything. And poor technique practised more often … well that’s going to amplify the problems many fold.
    <> Insufficient rest time for your unique body’s needs (which do change, just to throw in a little extra challenge!)

So what are the things that happen when you have (or what things cause you to have) poor technique?

Over-stressing your hamstrings, tugging on your back, going for stretches incorrectly, thinking it’s the depth and not the way you get the depth, practising poor breathing techniques, hunching shoulders, straining your back, and here’s a biggie, especially with a Bikram practice: the inability to engage the core muscles correctly (if doing at all).

All of these are related to poor technique and can come from inappropriately aiming for depth. All of these are exacerbated by relentless challenges of any length, 30, 60 and teacher trainings (hey, even just practicing for a couple of days) especially when it’s the bootcamp experience or attitude that overrides the outcome of practising or learning to teach yoga.

Most people who go to training do have the experience your teachers describe. I have dozens of questions I could ask about the beliefs concerning even the description of the experience, but I really want to keep it on topic. And we can discuss that all ‘elsewhere’. Suffice to say that many have drunk the Kool-Aid and easily succumb to the bullying, and could be using egos to practice. Perhaps their approach is wrong. I can’t judge that but I can surmise.

I haven’t drunk the Kool Aid but those who do are more likely to respond to their teachers telling them to ‘go stronger’ and ‘go harder’ and ‘go back til it hurts like hell’ or believing that overriding their own protective mechanisms (that allow them to grow and open) is a good thing!

The experience that all your teachers reflect and indeed most people who attend Bikram training, is not true for me. You see I DID feel like a goddess when I left (albeit a tired one who really enjoyed some rest!). My practice was great. I didn’t ‘succumb’. My body never ached. (And just so you know that I am human and it wasn’t all roses, I did have a couple of bumps on my road including an ear infection (dirty carpet!) but that didn’t affect my body or practice). When Robert met me in San Fran after the training I was so strong he called me the iron woman because I had abs of steel that some guys were openly jealous of (funny)!

So thank you for sharing your challenge approach. Meaningful results for people don’t have to be cathartic. And I think that’s part of what you’re saying!

So Caryn, go back and love your yoga again. It starts with you loving you.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

lvgrl
    Participant

This has been a very interesting thread and timely, too, as I’m about to embark on my second 30-day challenge. My first experience, last September, was very positive, though stressful for me, trying to fit my schedule around the requirement to be there every day for 30 days. Because I had to miss one day, I had to “do a double” to make it up. Now that was interesting. I don’t want to have to do that again! I firmly agree with Gabrielle about using the proper technique to protect yourself. I love the line I hear from time to time at my studio: “It’s not how far you go, but HOW you go.” I think that says it in a nutshell. It must be difficult for the teachers of large classes to make sure that everyone is using the proper technique. So this time, I’m going to do the 30-day challenge to work on technique where it’s needed (which is practically ALL the balancing poses), miss no days to avoid doing a double, and enjoy the sense of accomplishment at the end–as well as the prizes at the end, if any….:) NOTE: I am not a yoga teacher, I am 66 years old and began practicing 15 months ago about 4-5 times a week.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello Susan

Please let us know how your 30 day challenge is going!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

lvgrl
    Participant

so far it’s been great! Today is day 5–25 to go 🙂 finally have been able to get down to the floor in knee stand, now working on straight back and balancing on my fingers (this took the first year)…Thanks for asking!

jaketterer
    Participant

Just today having finished my first 30 day challenge and feeling such a sense of achievement and
    feel so strong, I feel so sad for the experiences of some of the reports i have just read. My own
    challenge was full of many of those feelings and bad days when I did cry in class and did wonder what had i taken on and why but then I decided that i would just have to take each day as it came and do the best I could I focussed on the postures I knew really helped my body and my joints and muscles ( I am 48 and alo newly fairly recently diagnosed with fybromyalgia, and so I know my energy will be challenged yet i also know that my joints and muscles really do benefit from daily stretching in the hot enviorment of Bikram yoga. So I sat out the odd posture when my legs would not hold me up, I woudl do one and a half sets of postures if I could not do 2 and I really worked on reminding myself that I was there every one of those 30 days to benefit my body and also my mind (geat escape from the trauma that can be every day life !!!) I should tell you that it was largely due to reading Gabrielle’s e mails about “curiosity” and being present that saved me from a ” slavish” practice and I think I perhaps would not have completed the challenge if I had not taken on board what she said. So to anyone who feels let down or inclined to give up on their Bikram practice as a result of a 30 day challenge that turned into a bit of a nightmare, please dont. Try one again eventually but with a different focus. I finished 30 days today, I will go to a class tomorrow because my fybromyligia symptoms are so much less when I practice a Bikram class, even if I just do as much as I can on any given day. But I am very lucky to attend a small studio where all the teachers are very supportive and encourage every student to do their best, it is your practice, no judgement, no comparisons after all its Yoga its meant to be healing and supportive to the rest of your life. I know Bikram Yoga has been a life saver for me on both a physical and emotional level, so plese to anyone who has been “traumatisied” by a 30 day challenge, dont give up give it another try another time when you have regained the benefits you fist got when you first were drawn to Bikram Yoga, and try again with a different outlook and approach, with the support of kind and good teachers and co-challengers! that helps a lot also. Also remember that the challenge you have just completed or might be struggling to complete is still a huge credit to you, you have still kept going through all that pain and anxiety! So you must be stronger than you think!

Stefan
    Participant

Listen to your body. Monitor your breath. If you can’t breath through your nose, hold back until you can again. Monitir your form, if you can’t maintainn form, hold back. It is that simple, really. It is the ayurvedic approach. There are books about it, I would suggest Body, Mind and Sports by John Douillard. His ayurvedic principles changed my life. being a pro skateboarder I was overtrained. Now I monitor breath and form when skating and when doing my Yoga. It is the 50% rule. If you use nasal breathing and hold form you are within the 50% of maximum effort. Now I still skate and compete, done it for 33 years now. I have a herniated disc and Bikram Yoga is healing it. For a few months I did doubles at home.

I “kill myself” when doing my Bikram Yoga, but only to the extent of still being able to breath through the nose, and hold form. The pian from the stretch should be a good pain, not an injury pain. Killing will mean you work hard, but with nasal breathing and form and focus ans concentration, and you kill your ego. You will transcend. That is the killing, the killing of the ego.

If you breath through your mouth you will activate the sympathetic nervous, and that will put your body under stress and in the end lead to all different kinds of diseases. Breathing through your mouth will trigger the fight or flight response. The goal of Yoga is to release stress, not build up stress.

So, go “kill yourself”, but monitor your breath and your form. Enjoy!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top