Is Bikram best for me?

Is Bikram best for me?2012-04-12T05:30:11+00:00
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I got very into Bikram. Up to 6 times a week and felt great for the most part except for one thing…. I easily dehydrate no matter how conscious I am to hydrate and bikram does not help my digestion. Anyways… Because of money issues, moving, and some other issues I had to stop Bikram but now I am relocated and wondering if I should start it again. Not doing Bikram my digestion has improved and I am actually a little thinner around the middle. I am wondering if doing Bikram increased my cortisol? But on the other hand my neck, shoulder, back, hips, and knees are bothering which Bikram helps with tons! For instance my knees felt the best they have felt in probably 20 years and I could run like the wind whie doing Bikram with no problems! Any opinions and suggestions are appreciated!

Andrea.*F.
    Participant

Hello Robin,

Hydration is a very important matter and not only when it comes to practising hot yoga. Being well hydrated is essential to a balanced and healthy life. Let me ask you a few questions: How much water do you drink a day? Do you increase the water intake on days when you do yoga? Do you make sure to replenish your electrolytes?

We have very helpful threads on the subject of ELECTROLYTES. Join the conversation if you like, maybe you’ll discover brand new information that you’ll find useful. If yoga makes you feel great, then by all means keep practising! It is one of the most beneficial exercises one can do! I have a feeling those ‘electrolyte’ tips will help you tremendously with your hydration, which will make your practice (even more) enjoyable! 😉

What exactly do you mean when you say that practising hot yoga hasn’t been helping your digestion?

I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Namaste,

Andrea

whatsbest?
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. I am very conscious to drink atleast half my body weight in pounds… that many ounces of water a day if not alot more and are conscious of my mineral intake including trace mineral drops, coconut water, I also drink chlorophyll and aloe. I have alot of intolerances and blood sugar problems that contribute to my dehydration. I do not drink coffee, black tea, and I also stay away from salted foods and sugar. I am just more prone to dehydration than most people even if bikram isnt an issue. I do think that maybe I was drinking too much Oolong tea which I have stopped. So you can guess my digestive issues are constipation. If I do bikram regularly I am constipated. Has anyone else had this problem?

Andrea.*F.
    Participant

Hello Robin,

I have a feeling that this calculation doesn’t make you drink a sufficient amount of water. Let me do some maths here to see whether I understood it correctly…
    I weigh 116 lb, half of that in ounces would be 58oz, which is 1.7 litres. That is below an adults’ recommended daily water intake. Following the same thought, I would have to weigh 220lb to drink as much as I currently drink, which is 118oz (3.5 litres). Did I get it right? 🙂

Bear in mind that we all have unique bodies with unique needs. If you practise Hot Yoga regularly, you will have to drink at least 2.5 litres (84oz) and I recommend you drink even more than that. At the same time it is crucial to replenish the electrolytes you sweat out during your class.

Have you had a chance to read the thread I included in the previous post? What are your thoughts on that?

Both unbalanced blood pressure and constipation can be a sign of dehydration and not having enough electrolytes in the system. It’s great that aloe, chlorophyll, coconut water…are a part of your diet, though they cannot suppress the body’s need for enough water AND electrolytes. Many people experience what you described above. Good news is that they can be cured by drinking sufficient amount of water with salt 😉

Definitely keep Us posted!

Namaste,

Andrea

Anonymous

REMOVED BY MODERATOR

** Reason: Unsolicited commercial spam **

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

Commercial product promotion post removed (breach of Forum Rules).

Anyone promoting their own products and pretending to be a happy customer will be banned from the forum.

Andrea.*F.
    Participant

Hello Robin,

How have you been? Did my previous post answer your question satisfactorily?

Let me know if you need help with anything else.

Namaste,

Andrea

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top