Chronic Sinus and hot yoga

Chronic Sinus and hot yoga2013-06-15T11:52:59+00:00
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Everyone,
    I was hoping for some advice on my new hot yoga practice. I have an ongoing problem with chronic sinusitis. I have combated the problem in the past with frequent antibiotics and surgery. I am currently using nasonex daily and neti pots rinses twice daily. I am also considering further surgery. I began a regular hot yoga practice about 2 months ago and have been averaging 2/3 classes per week. Although I always have a low grade sinus infection, I also have regular flare ups that result in me having a low grade fever and generally feeling fatigued and unwell until I treat it with antibiotics. Prior to trying hot yoga I was jogging regulatory but found that I became rundown which contributed to flare ups. I have found that doing hot yoga seems to really clear out my sinuses and assist in keeping my symptoms down. My questions are; Does hot yoga help with Chronic sinusitis? Also, sometimes sinus gets the better of me and should I still be practicing when I feel the effects (i,e. when is it best not to practice)? If I am having a flare up is it best to rest or will the practice assist my healing. Also, how often should I practice when I am having my general low grade infection for the best healing effect? I know these are a lot of questions and really appreciate any input. With Thanks

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Gina

There are a lot of details in your post that I could and hope to address. You mention frequent intake of antibiotics, and you indicate ongoing problems. I would like to just get it out and say the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. Have you heard of the notion of the human biome? It seems to me that it is possible, that with years or at least what you seem to indicate as many instances of antibiotic intake is that your whole system could be in a manner of speaking, ‘out of whack’. It could be, and I really encourage you to investigate this with appropriate sources, that your system has changed over time due to the antibiotics and may not have properly recovered to its normal supportive microflora.

There are products that I have heard about that are said to get one’s microbiome back on track. This in turn gets the system working more effectively and makes it more resistant to chronic or repeated ‘illness’ or conditions.

I could be completely off track, but take a look around, or ask more questions here.

To answer your question: Yes I do believe that the hot yoga will help. I would also consider looking at restitution of your biome!

Should you keep practising? As long as you are not contagious, keep on practising. Let people know you are not contagious and it is ‘just’ sinusitis. It will put their minds at ease. Nobody likes to practise near people who have colds!

If you have a low grade infection then you are walking a line where practice may help (and usually does)… and you have to be aware of when you could be expending too much energy so that you can assist the self-healing process. So either ‘take it easy’ in class by moderating what you do (maybe one of 2 sets from time to time, or half the class or whatever you feel is right as long as you keep your focus and intention clear) or go to less classes.

What do you think?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

avocatbulgareacandin
    Participant

Reduce your consumption of animal products and cocoa to zero. It might help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top