Some thoughts on rabbit

Some thoughts on rabbit2014-05-02T06:47:46+00:00
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m still a newbie.

I would like to say that I didn’t feel anything from rabbit for about four months of practice. Before I learned about doing rabbit safely I would try to follow the script as recited. For a good month at the start I was jamming my head into the floor, until one day one of the instructors explained that your head is only for balance and shouldn’t be supporting much weight at all. Most of the other instructors had encouraged me in my wrong technique!

I’m pretty convinced nobody starts out with an effective rabbit – it’s confusing and the script doesn’t get the point across. Not every instructor realizes it needs more explanation for beginners, either.

It took me a very long time to figure out. Right now rabbit does more for my back injury than any other posture. More than camel.

I think the script focuses way too much on hip and leg movement. Try focusing on how you’re moving your spine, instead. Think of a cat stretching its back:

If you focus on getting this spinal stretch as you come up from being crumpled on the floor, that leg movement and head position work themselves out.

Lately if I’m having a strong day in class, with this approach I can manage to get a release all up and down my spine of the small muscles between my vertebrae. It’s a really intense feeling (the discomfort of being in a completely unnatural position + a very powerful muscle release, it’s kind of sensory overload). If I’m having back spasms they’re over just like that.

—————
    Anyway, like I said, I spent months feeling like rabbit was pointless for me. These things take time to learn. Attend as many different instructors as possible, even the ones you’re not fond of. And keep in mind that rabbit is more prone to self injury than just about any other posture, so anything new to try, please be gentle and gradual.

If anything I’ve said seems risky, please let me know. I’m no teacher. I just feel like too many people are missing the benefit of this posture.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Aaron

I agree with you! The recited script emphasises things that mislead the student. I have been to classes where I have seen students being complimented for a Rabbit pose where I could see them jamming their heads downward into the floor. My point? It takes quite some experience and understanding to be able to see the weight distribution, the body mechanics and the traction lines.

The other problem is that what the student thinks will get them out of trouble (to stop them rolling forward) is actually what will cause them to roll forward. The pose has counter-intuitive aspects that require surrender.

Well done for working it out.

For those that don’t quite get this pose, or it’s not the super satisfying pose it should be, then I am positive that there is at least one small thing (and maybe more) that you can do (that may not be that far away from what you’re already doing) that will make THE difference. You’ll ‘get’ it and it will be oh so worth it!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top