Advice on how to deal with new teachers

Advice on how to deal with new teachers2014-07-04T02:09:18+00:00
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Need your advice on how to handle this situation. I have just started back with Bikram yoga, about 30 days. The studio has a new owner and the only teachers left are the previous owner who is monotone and negative, a 2 day a week excellent teacher and the new owner, who is also and excellent teacher. He has brought in 2 new teachers who just finished their training. I can appreciate that everyone has to start and has the right to ‘learn’ but this is awful. Not only are the ‘scripts’ poor, one teacher is counting in Russian (I am in the US). I am in a dilemma, do I say something to the owner? I really like hot yoga and believe that I deserve an instructor who supports and enhances my practice. This is the only studio available and unless he hires experienced teachers or teaches the majority of the classes himself this is a tough choice to tolerate. Help……

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello Pamela

Just firstly straight up: That person should definitely NOT be counting in Russian (waiver, if she’s ALWAYS and ONLY ever counting in Russian). I wouldn’t mind if it were a lighthearted approach to occasionally introduce some counting in other languages sporadically but if it’s happening all the time that really is not appropriate. As you can see it’s taking you out of your practice. Is it happening to others? It would be interesting to know from fellow students.

What other feedback to you hear in the change rooms or elsewhere about the new climate?

You’re right! That would be a tough choice. You would say something to the owner of your all-time favourite cafe, if all of a sudden the quality went downhill. You are, in this case too, your studio’s customer and you really owe it to yourself and the owner to say something.

Sometimes people are wary about saying something that could be deemed unpleasant because it can put the complainer in a vulnerable or embarrassing position. Worse, it can make the ‘complainee’ feel defensive.

I remember at our first big studio where it was more than just me as the teacher, we had a number of instances that helped us shape our studio’s culture.

I had teachers from overseas too. However, the situation was that we are in a metric country and all the Bikram words are in imperial measurements. We had some complaints that the measurements had to reflect the country and culture we are in. So we changed that immediately. Sounds small, but it was not.

We had some complaints that the new teachers did not teach with the same quality that I and my friend and Robert were providing. (Which should prove that teaching is not all about ‘those particular words’.) There were specific things about new teachers using the exact same words each class.

People noticed that the good teachers give better cues for starting poses, finishing poses and for instruction within (ie not recited). We even had some people say that they objected to particular teachers using the word “guys” to give commands or compliments (‘great job guys’, ‘you guys’ etc). These people were peeved because most people who go to class are women and not ‘guys’. Many times back then, the classes were either exclusively women or had 1 or 2 men only. I think people reflected that they felt that the teacher was too much on autopilot.

All complaints and enquiries have to be taken seriously and simply LISTENED to. They are either acted upon or not. They are just someone’s opinion. But the person that steps forward is courageous and shows that they trust that they will be listened to. I believe that given in the right way, that feedback truly honours the owner of that business because of the courage it can take to come forward.

You have many great things to tell the new owner about their business and their own teaching. Surely they will appreciate your dilemma and recognise that if you’re feeling strongly enough to act that others might also be feeling similarly. They don’t want their most precious asset – their customers – to start voting with their feet (going in the wrong direction!).

What do you think? Will you go to the new owner?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

mzsocialworker1
    Participant

I have never complained, however, I have noticed others do and the teachers stuff wasn’t sitting right with are no longer at my studio.

I also noticed they aren’t at others either.

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

I would speak up- now is the perfect time, when the new owner is still in a position of ‘newness’ (ie, before the stain on the carpet disappears from our conscious attention!).

I would frame it in the manner of “I think you deserve to know how this feels from my perspective. Whether you choose to do anything about it is your prerogative, but if I were a new owner of a business, I wouldn’t want my customers NOT telling me this stuff.”

If you have poor food in a restaurant, do you speak up? Some of us will, and most will stay silent and simply not return. Hot Yoga has a pretty high churn rate as it is and studio owners have to work hard to keep people. Having likeable teachers and motivating classes makes a big difference – even if, as students, we’re all supposed to be able to not become attached to that stuff.

I can take the odd monotone class, or one with terrible inconsistent timings, that’s fine. But not over and over and over and over … eventually, I’ll go somewhere else. And I speak from experience hehe 😀

kbmichael01
    Participant

Great advice from Gabrielle and Robert, as always!

Giving feedback to the owner would be very important – also, don’t be shy about giving feedback to the new teachers, as most of the new teachers I have had really do appreciate constructive feedback.

Finally, I suggest that you not let a teacher’s dialogue upset your practice…. I know that is difficult, as I used to let specific instructor’s dialogue get to me, and upset my practice. My wife and yoga partner convinced me to ‘let it go’ and focus on the asana/yoga, not necessarily focus on the dialogue (we all know the sequence, so we can focus on the specific yoga and not necessarily the dialogue). In extreme cases, I have used earplugs to make it ‘quiet’ for me, allow me to focus on my breath and the asana, not necessarily on the dialogue. I can hear enough of the dialogue to prompt me to move into and out of the various stages of the asana, but allows me to stay focused on the breath (especially on those VERY hot days when it is easy to lose the breath).

hope this helps you find a way to stay at your local studio!

cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top