Reclining eagle twist problem

Reclining eagle twist problem2014-08-05T16:19:44+00:00
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, first time poster. Not sure if this is the right place to post.

I’ve been doing yoga on an off for a while, new to hot yoga but recently found a studio I love.

I have NO back issues or problems whatsoever, and I never experience back pain in my regular daily activities.

However when we do the laying down eagle twist (Laying on the back with one knee bent in and laid over the opposite side of the body while shoulders stay flat to the floor) I have a problem.

As soon as I start the twist, I get a sharp, cramp-like pain in the center of my back. I feel like I remember doing this twist in the past without a problem but I can’t be sure.

My way of handling it is just to untwist to a point where I am not feeling the pain, but once it starts I can barely twist at all without it returning. I know everyone’s flexibility is different, but I feel like my inability to do this pose is inconsistent with my normal level of flexibility, and the pain is really more like a severe cramp, not just the ache of pushing to far.

Any thoughts or ideas? Do i just need to slowly work up to it? Could it be evidence of a back problem/muscle problem?

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Sarah

Welcome to the forum! Obviously a worrying niggle in your back. I do have a question of 2 for you. Would you please tell me if you are completely intertwining your legs as if doing the standing eagle pose? By this I mean are you simply laying your leg (which we’ll call your lower leg, the one on the side to which you are turning) over the top of the upper leg? Or are you also hooking your foot around the upper leg as well?

I can feel more questions coming on! 😆 … I am trying to ascertain exactly what you’re doing.

At what angle is your upper leg(s) to your body? Are you bending your knees up? Perhaps your thighs are at an acute angle, at right angles or an obtuse angle to the body.

How comfortable are your shoulders? Are they on the floor? Are your shoulder blades seated there? Ideally you want them down and back.

That’s it for starters

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

sarahal88
    Participant

THanks for your questions.

I do not intertwine my legs or hook the foot around during this pose – just laying the leg over to the size. My upper leg is probably about perpendicular to my body, so basically a right angle.

My shoulders are comfortable and flat and relaxed on the floor.

I guess this is why I was surprised by my pain in this pose, because I don’t feel like I’m doing any extreme twist when it comes on. Just keeping shoulders to the floor, and laying the leg across the opposite side.

Thanks!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Sarah

A couple of experiments for you …

What happens if you just twist your body to the side one leg on top of the other without entwining the legs?

Have you also experimented with the angle with which your leg makes in relation to your body when you do entwine your legs? You said the leg is at right angles so perhaps there is a comfortable angle.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top