No wrist/elbow pain and trouble lifting legs up

No wrist/elbow pain and trouble lifting legs up2014-12-24T01:20:49+00:00
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello, I’ve been practicing for a few years pretty regularly, but have always had trouble with this posture. I feel like I must be doing something wrong because I’ve never felt the wrist/elbow pain the dialogue talks about. It never has felt uncomfortable either. Is there anything that I may be doing wrong? I have my elbows touching under the body. Teachers have never commented that I am doing anything wrong, but I feel like there is something I’m missing.

I also have a lot of trouble getting both my legs up and with the weight distribution. I have a large nose, and it hurts if put my face flat to the floor so I have to almost look forward a bit and hold my head up. (Not noticeable, I don’t think, but I can’t put my nose and mouth directly flat to the towel.) I think that may be one of my issues. I have a lot of trouble putting the weight “into the shoulders”, as they say. I feel like I can’t get my shoulders down or shift the weight forward. Do you have any tips for this?

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello Rebecca

The first question for you is about arm placement. Are you bringing your arms in as per the dialog, as far under the body as you can, and also so that baby fingers are touching?

Over to you?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

onetwothree
    Participant

Yes, I am, thats why I am confused as I don’t feel a stretch/pain. I don’t think I ever did. I’ve always thought I was doing it wrong. Also, for locust, when you raise both legs at once, how should you adjust your arms? Some teachers say move your arms down towards your knees, is this the best? Should I try to put more weight on my shoulders initially when I readjust my arms?

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Rebecca

I ask that question because the scripted dialog can be misleading. If you are following the words rather than the intent of the pose then you will find that the position of your arms and how you got them there will work against you. The dialog really only gives cues to people who already know how to do the poses and is full of ambiguities. This is why most people have to learn Bikram method yoga by watching other students in class (that’s why studios insist on newbies going to the back) or by muddling through it.

This is why I was asking for the specifics of what you do. Please go and take a look at this recent thread on Locust and this other thread too. Each of them has detail on what you should most definitely do your best at perfecting over the next number of classes.

You really shouldn’t be feeling pain in any poses (I do note you said you’re not feeling any in this pose!). It is certainly possible to feel some discomfort because it is not comfortable having one’s arms under one’s hips like that but please read more threads on Locust in this forum if you are indeed feeling any pain in any pose. Obviously no problem with this pose though! Yay.

When you follow the directions that I give you in Locust on the other threads (which you will find instruction on more than just the 2 threads above) you will find that the instruction to shift your weight is completely unnecessary if you are placing your arms and shoulders correctly. The waiver that might make things difficult is for people with large breasts.

Please come back and tell me if you need more specifics on how to place your arms

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top