Multiple Sclerosis and Bikram yoga?

Multiple Sclerosis and Bikram yoga?2008-07-31T21:59:15+00:00
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have M.S. and I just started Bikram do you know of anyone else with M.S. who has done this yoga with success? Is there anything I should or shouldn’t do before or after class?

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Jo

I think the jury is still out on whether MS and Hot Yoga are a match! There are so many variables including what systems your condition is actually affecting. While yoga is great for most systemic disease states because of its ability to create physiological balance the addition of heat is going to be very subjective. Methinks you have to gauge your own feelings and personal success.

What have been your experiences so far? If nothing else the reduced stress and the positive mindset that you enhance is certainly extremely helpful in coping with if not minimizing the effects of your condition.

To my knowledge there are no special things you should do before or after class. As the epidemiology of the disease is not certain it is hard to make any definitive statements. I would certainly be mindful of keeping my electrolytes and hydration at good levels. There are also supplements that help you keep your system in an alkaline state. Worth a try.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

tyoga
    Participant

hi, joe!
    i just started bikram yoga five months ago, and i’ve been diagnosed with ms for 19 years. here’s the deal, as far as i can tell so far: 1. checked with my neurologist first (very important); 2. early on in the diagnosis, i did find that i would get some symptom flares, when in hot weather, or in hot baths. sometimes that meant a limb feeling numb, and sometimes that meant my vision temporarily going down in the eye i’d had optic neuritis in. sometimes, still, if i have a fever, i get a little flarey. however, i have not had overt ms reactions to heat in many years, and i have not noticed them at all in class (and i’ve done two 30 day challenges). if you take interferon (which i do), it’s ENORMOUSLY helpful with dealing with side effects, especially if you take a class and a shot in the morning, and then a class the next day in the morning.

Sara V
    Participant

I was diagnosed with MS in December 2008. After checking with my neurologist I was given the go ahead to practice hot yoga. I was initially just looking to lose the weight I had gained from being prescribed prednisone (a steroid). I was a little apprehensive about the heat because I experienced extreme fatigue and a patchy numb sensation that traveled through my body on hot days. I was lucky enough to find a studio that allowed me to stay by the door with permission to leave the room if I needed. I also brought a water bottle filled with ice. It is my understanding that with MS once the core body temperature is cooled the symptoms will subside so I would use the water bottle to place on my feet if needed to bring my core temp down. One thing I have learned with MS is that everyBODY is different and it takes some exploration to find what works best in your individual body.

After about 2 weeks of regular practice I was starting to lose my steroid weight! After about a month I was able to stop taking all the vitamin supplements for fatigue as the yoga was helping me get a deep sleep. I had needed 9 hours of sleep during that time to function AT ALL and once in regular practice I was able to function quite well even if my sleep was interrupted. Soon I was waking up after 7-8 hours with ease! My numbness even started to disappear.

Around the same time I had to move to an area where the closest hot yoga studio was over an hour away. My tingling returned and I knew I had to do something. I decided to set up a small studio in my home using a humidifier and electric heater. I also made the commitment to go the Hot Yoga Doctor Teacher Training in Costa Rica (hotyogateacher.com). I wanted to learn the postures in depth because I feel they have been so beneficial to my health and I also wanted to share the healing I have found with others. I graduated June 2011 and I now teach hot yoga!

Over the last year I have moved from California to New York and back to California. This has caused disruption in my practice and I have had the opportunity to feel my symptoms return when I have not been to class in longer periods of time (ex heavy tingling in hands). I can tell you in my body the sensory symptoms disappear when I make the commitment to prioritize hot yoga in my life.

I have seen 2 neurologists in the past year one of them saying he was SHOCKED to see how little my progression has been. The other noting that he is VERY optimistic due to the way have been taking care of my body; noting that sometimes we overlook that proper diet and exercise can often do more than the medication. I am still on medication but I have felt confident enough in my health to switch to one with less side effects. I also highly recommend the book Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis by Professor George Jelinek, MD. I encourage anyone with disEASE to try a combination of healing methods and find what works best in their own bodies.

Yoga helps me listen to my body. Often in savasana I picture my lesions as ice cubes melting way. Sometimes I bring my thumb to my ring finger for a healing mudra.

Good Luck & Happy Healing!

~Sara

:coolsmile:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top