Brittle Nails

Brittle Nails2009-02-25T00:17:57+00:00
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Since having started doing hot yoga on a regular basis (5-6 days/week for the past 5 weeks), I noticed recently that my thumb nails have gotten really brittle and are peeling. My right thumb nail also has a fairly big dip in it. I was wondering if anyone knows what vitamin deficiency this might be and/or if anyone else has dealt with this as a result of doing yoga regularly?

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi mtcat

It is interesting that you have noticed that and linked it to your increased practice over only a month. There are many elements of a good healthy diet that usually help nail health. Notable of these are being well enough hydrated plus having enough calcium, zinc, magnesium, vitamins A, B and C and even protein. If the increase in classes is the cause then I am wondering if you have kept the same eating and drinking habits of your less frequent practice or if you have made any changes. If you aren’t already taking some kind of supplement that could help (see above 😉 ). Increasing your raw food component can also help! I am interested to hear your thoughts.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

mtcat
    Participant

For the most part, I have NOT changed my eating habits/routine. I was never the best eater anyways. I have, however, gotten really good at drinking tons of water. As of your last post, I’ve been upping the greens in my meals, will be better about taking a calcium/magnesium supplement daily and might have to get some B supplements to go with all this. I take a daily vitamin along with fish oil pills, some Vit. D drops and calcium/magnesium supplement (when I remember, as it is a new supplement for me). I think the main factor is the eating. I’m wondering if a nutritionist would be the best bet if these adjustments don’t work. Thanks for the input, Gabrielle.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top