Taming the Monkey Mind

Taming the Monkey Mind2010-03-30T00:51:46+00:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Are there any articles by Hot Yoga Doctor or any books that guide though the mental side of hot yoga? Lately I have struggled to ‘tame the monkey mind’ and as a result I let my physical practice slide.

Thanks Jodie

Angela T
    Participant

Ditto! This is a challenge I face as well – and I believe others do too. I do believe it improves in time!

jodie1709
    Participant

Thanks Angela. Im glad to hear its not just me! I haven’t been very consistent with my practice lately and I wonder if this doesn’t do me any favours.

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

Gabrielle has a very good free guide called “Meditation 101” which you can find here:

https://www.hotyogadoctor.com/index.php/site/poses/

(Just scroll down to see it & the download link)

You should find that will help you with the mental chatter!

😉

Robert

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello Jodie and Angela

It’s a great question that you both ask. Yes just like any other skill, meditation improves with practice. Of course you have to have the right practice. 😉

We always hear “focus on the breath” and it can be so frustrating to feel as if you are really doing that … but your mind seems lost in a million thoughts only microseconds later. AAAaaarrrrrghh.

So I hope the Meditation 101 will help. It really is an enormous topic. When it comes to finding resources sometimes you just need to find a book that speaks to you. That will change for everyone. However nothing can substitute for your hours of practice (wherever that happens – a few moments here and there right up to a whole 90 minute class and beyond).

Recently I created a Pose Tutorial that spends a lot of time on meditation. It’s called Savasana and Meditation. It may be interesting to you too because it has some specific skills to practice.

Another thought I had is to take a look at this very helpful thread. Lost My Mojo Even Though I Didn’t Take A Break. This will help you find ways to renewing your focus.

There are million things for you to pay attention to. You can start with 1 or more specific things in a class and track for your ability to sustain that attention. Hint: The breath is what every teacher will tell you to do but could be one of the harder ones for a number of reasons. An easier one is to utter (silently to yourself) a mantra. The Mojo link gives you some great examples that other students have used or are using right now. Maybe you have your own to contribute.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

roxiegirl
    Participant

I am still new at this, I finished my intro class and now signed up for a year. One
    thing I do is when I first go in the room and lay down is I go through each Chakra, relaxing and releasing each one. When I get to the Crown Chakra I feel very in tuned to my body. I tell myself that I am connected with the practice and will stay in the now with each pose. Then at the end I do the same thing and end the focus on how better my body feels.

Last night I was so into it that someone threw thier mat on the floor beside me
    and I felt myself jump. Had to start all over with the Root Chakra!

Anyhow this has helped me focus on each routine and not jump to thinking about the next or whatever else pops into my mind.

Hope this helps.
    Marilyn

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top