Yoga for kids

Yoga for kids2009-03-26T20:30:21+00:00
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone-

I am thinking of opening a yoga studios for children next door to my Bikram studio. Many of the Bikram students have expressed a desire for child care while they are practicing. I thought a better way was to offer yoga tailored especially for children, using storytelling, games, art, etc.

So- I’m looking for teacher training, and there’s several different programs. Do any of you have testimonials you could post?

Many thanks!

bonmar
    Participant

Oh, what a fabulous idea!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello

My town was too small to offer yoga for kids! But when I was in the big smoke I took my daughter to 2 kids’ yoga classes. So I guess I am wondering if you have access to at least a couple of different programs for you to take your own child or borrow someone else’s to see what their focus is and to see if it is your cup of tea. A little market research is a good thing. :cheese:

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

grapevinegirl
    Participant

That’s a great idea, but unbelieveably enough, there are NO programs like this in the entire Dallas/Ft worth area- that’s why I’m so buzzed about it. I found a website called Rainbow Yoga Kids and I’m considering going through their teacher training. Would you mind looking over their program and giving me your opinion?

Many thanks!

Forum Owner

Hi!

Oh, that’s a shame… I am away for a few more days and won’t be able to look. In the meantime let’s see what else transpires here on the forum.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

bonmar
    Participant

I do recall Gab sent an email about yoga for kids, emphasizing the animal names of each pose. That’s all I remember about it, though. Hopefully she can send it on when she gets back.

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

Hey thanks Bonnie for that reminder – I’ve now converted that email to a pdf and posted it here!

Kids Yoga Info

Hope it’s helpful,

Robert

artwednesday
    Participant

Sat Nam Grapevinegirl, ,

My wife and I are setting up a studio with similar interests, I am an artist and I plan on teaching Yoga and Art to children. Kundalini yoga is great for kids that aren’t quite ready for the intensity of the hot yoga.

here is a link;
    http://www.childrensyoga.com/

Best of luck on your journey.

Namaste’

Jeff

Forum Owner

Sounds great Jeff – do let us know your progress (the Radiant Yoga looked good too).

Good point about kids & hot yoga – we find under 10 is usually too hard – and between 10 and 14 or so, the balancing poses are still somewhat intense – but those that do come report great benefits, even if they find balancing tricky.

We had a 15-yr old doing the standard 90-min class whose homework concentration not only rocketed, but it got easier!

Wish I’d been taught yoga at school (though thinking about how I was at school they wouldn’t have wanted me in the class … blech!).

Robert

grapevinegirl
    Participant

Thanks Robert and Jeff-

I love the way stories can be told and played out with the corresponding animal pose. I have looked at Radiant Child, as well as Rainbow Kids Yoga and the Yoga KIds programs. Now it’s just a matter of formulating a business plan and crafting a mean budget. Thanks for helping to guide me towards my goal.

Namaste-

Forum Owner

And do let us know if we can help further!

😉

beret
    Participant

i saw these videos for kids and teens. are they good enough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPMQzj9ABT0&feature=channel

Forum Owner

Hi

It looks nice. There are only a couple of reviews on Amazon but there were very favorable.

Let us know what you think if you happen to take a look at them or buy them.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

sangria
    Participant

i saw these videos for kids and teens. are they good enough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPMQzj9ABT0&feature=channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCUTJL3SlpU

Those videos are interesting! I always see yoga videos only for adults and now they’re having kids too. Time to get the kids active and healthy. Thank you for sharing.

beret
    Participant

Hi

It looks nice. There are only a couple of reviews on Amazon but there were very favorable.

Let us know what you think if you happen to take a look at them or buy them.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

a friend of mine was actually asking me to get ideas on what to do with her 3-year-old daughter because her kid keeps on imitating my friend’s yoga poses when she does yoga at home. now that you said that the videos are nice, i will recommend them to her. then ask her for her insights 🙂
    maybe i could even join her daughter when doing the yoga poses 🙂

thank you very much Gabrielle 🙂

beret
    Participant

hi Gabrielle,

my friend bought a copy of the dvd I mentioned above for her daughter. she said that her daughter loved it! 🙂
    my friend said that when her child does yoga, it was like playing for her kid and that her daughter enjoyed doing the poses. i think my friend is happy with the outcome of the yoga dvd and her daughter. now, they are a mother and daughter yoga tandem 😆

anca
    Participant

hi ,
    i would like to do the teacher training with rainbiwkidsyoga this summer! did you do it ?
    how was it ? is it worth ?
    anca

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top